Picked up some new gear!

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by Sneezer, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Last year I killed a camp kitchen - took it on a campout with scouts where I was the adult grubmaster, and someone had pulled it out of the trailer when we were unloading back at the church, and leaned it against the back corner of my truck. I didn't see it, nor did I check, and backed over it as I was backing the trailer away. Bummed because I really liked that one.

Anyway, was at the scout store with my wife picking up camp cards for the spring fundraiser, and they had a GCI Master Deluxe Cook Station on sale for $95. Cheapest I had ever seen them was $100, not discounting a weird one day Amazon sale a year ago for $60, so I picked it up. Got it set up in the driveway and so far I am really liking it. Tons of counter space, and at a usable height, plus it has a lantern pole, which my dead one did not. Test fit a couple stoves, and I think this might just work. Only complaint I have is it does not come with a bag, but I may through a strap around it to help keep it together - the lone string tie down works but could use another on the other side.

Then this weekend I was surfing FB Marketplace (which I really should not do, my wallet is complaining), and found someone selling one of my grail stoves, the Coleman Guide Series 5428. I had seen these pop up on ebay and twice locally, but were always out of my budget, or got snapped up at the beginning of the pandemic before I could make contact. This is a propane version of their classic 3 burner suitcase stove, with one 15k btu burner and 2 10k btu burners. Unlike all the other Coleman lpg stoves I have dealt with, this one actually has a good range of adjustment on the knobs, and will simmer without much effort. For $120 I got the stove and hose, an lpg tree, extension hose, collapsible stove high stand, and a Northstar lpg lantern. Stove looked like it had been used once, and was in excellent condition with a beat up, but intact box and manual.

Now I have to play with my gear and figure out what the best combination of kitchen stuff works for pup vs tent camping, and hopefully pare down some of my equipment to reclaim a little more of the garage.

Overall it was a good weekend, despite having to cancel next weeks scout trip due to below freezing temps, and my son coming down with some sort of a virus (but covid was negative).

DiamondGirl, Sjm9911, Annunzi and 4 others like this.
  2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

With the winter shutdown this week in TX I decided to do some testing in the garage. Handled some limited cooking quite well, super impressed with the level of control on the burners. Also did a quick boil test - 1.8L of water in my camp kettle boiled in 3:45 on the 15k burner, and 5:40 on the 10k burner. Much quicker than my other stoves with the exception of the weekender, which has stronger burners.

DiamondGirl and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ Diamond Supporting Member

I like the GCI Master Deluxe Cook Station too. We ordered it from Amazon but my Camp Chef Ranger III didn’t fit. My CCRIII was too wide for the top. DH returned it back. Glad it’s working out with your set up.

Happy Camping...[put&hy]