pickin a little guitar by the fire...

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by fordtough68, Mar 19, 2013.

1. fordtough68

fordtough68 New Member

Just wanted to get an overall idea of what people here thought about acoustic guitars around the campfire? I love to play and sing and I'm not really too noisy...but after a few beers and good company I tend to sing a little louder.lol here's a little sample so you understand what I play. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpiw1pJODv0# ......with that said....is it bad manners to make a little ruckus but all in good clean fun?

2. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

Personally if I heard it I would probably try bribing you with a few cold ones to take some requests.....

3. saratogaowner

saratogaowner New Member

music and campfires go hand and hand [Guitar]

4. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

Personally, I don't mind and if it's music that I like all the better. The problem is that not everyone shares the same taste in music. When quiet hours arrive however it shouldn't matter if it's radio, tape, 8 track, guitar or grand piano - out of respect for others it should be turned off. If you can hear it beyond your campsite boundries it's too loud and the patrolling rangers will likely remind those who take it beyond those limits.

I have seen it work with large groups that occupy a large portion of the campground that doesn't border on other sites, boondocking and canoe camping.

there are few threads on here with some widely differing opinons :)

5. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Before my back went kaplooey, I woulda brought my banjo over and joined you!! But yeah, I stop before quiet time so folks don't feel like I'm 'pushin it'. [:O] [LOL]

[:D]

6. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    I like to bring my guitar along, too. Most times I get positive remarks and usually have people wander over and join me. Sometimes, I'll get a complaint about the noise and I try to respectfully accept it and stop.

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I agree with the others. OK before quiet time if it's not out of control but when quiet time comes the sounds should stop.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

What UT said

9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn New Member

If you do like the performer/music, it makes it even more awkward to ask them to quiet down. You hate to hurt anyone's feelings, but there is a reason there are "quiet hours" at most CGs. Music, like art, is pretty subjective.

10. Ken Mc

Ken Mc Member

I think most campers would enjoy hearing a little bit of light background music (guitar, banjo, harmonica, sax, trumpet).

However, the music should blend into the rest of the noise and not overwhelm it. Often, as you commented, the later it goes and the more cold ones you have the louder it tends to get; but that is when most campers would rather you start to tone it down.

If you ever wonder if you are being too loud, you probably are.

Happy camping!

11. fordtough68

fordtough68 New Member

Thanks for the input! I honestly never knew there was a designated quiet time at campgrounds! I always just assume that when the campers start fading away in the evenings that means its about time to do the same myself. I've always played it by ear...no pun intended [:D] I've always been respectful of others but sometimes people just hate to tell you to pipe down so I guess ill be checking to see when quiet time is.

12. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

"Quite time" for the state parks here In michigan is 10pm so that's still plenty of time to kick up some dust....

13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I don't think we've ever been to a campground that does not have quiet hours. We've been camping since 1990, and mostly camp in public campgrounds.
    In addition, some campgrounds have limits such as "cannot be heard out of the campsite" of the music maker, live or recorded. In some, generator hours are simply the same as quiet hours; in others generators are limited to specific time frames (i.e. 7-9 a.m., 6-8 p.m.) or no more than 2 hours at a time.

Even if there are camp hosts, they don't always delineate specifics to every camper, so it is a good idea to look for the board(s) where such things are posted. These boards often not only include quiet and generator hours, but programs offered in the campground or other things helpful to know.

14. Unstable_Tripod

Quiet time hours are usually listed on the main sign or bulletin board at the entrance to the campground. 10 PM to 7 AM is common. All of the rules are there, such as approved methods and locations of gray water disposal, quiet time, number of tents and vehicles on a campsite, where you can and can't do dishes, when you can run a generator, etc.

The best rule I've ever seen was at Cave Springs CG in Oak Creek Canyon near Sedona, AZ. "No amplified sound devices of any kind are permitted." This eliminated all of the radios, TVs, walkie-talkies, bullhorns and other sound-generating stuff that can ruin the environment. Personally, I'd like to see this in every CG but I've never seen it anywhere else.

15. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

[Guitar] LIKE [8D]

16. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

Wow! So you feel if a couple of 12-13 year old kids that want to ride there bikes around a little , shouldn't be "allowed" to have a walkie in case of an emergency?

And how does a tv or radio ruin the environment ? Or by environment do you mean the ambience around you? I've been through some major storms camping from tornados to lighting and falling trees maybe you prefer to wait till a ranger comes around to give you a heads up but I will "risk" ruining the environment with my electronics.......just my 2 1/2 cents.....

17. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

UT, I'm with you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

18. fordtough68

fordtough68 New Member

Good thing I only play acoustic!! Lol

19. Unstable_Tripod

Detroit_Iron, when I say "ruin the environment" I mean the ambiance, in a disturbing the peace sense. Amplified noise makes the place and the experience of being there less enjoyable. There were a couple of offenders during the week I was there and they were promptly warned by the host. They complied with the rule after that because the host has the ability to eject them from the campground.

As for kids riding bikes with walkies, sorry but I don't see the need. Kids have been riding bikes and before that horses for a very long time without walkies. As for serious storms, probably not a frequent issue compared to the millions of days cumulatively camped by everyone in North America each year. However, I doubt anyone would ding you on the rule if you went into your vehicle with the windows closed and listened to the radio for a storm warning.

20. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    If kids are carrying walkie talkies and using them only to check in with their parents as necessary, or for emergencies, then where's the problem? As a child, I could ride my bike almost with impunity and have no fear. The world has changed. Kids today don't have that kind of freedom or pleasure.

As UT said, I can't see anyone complaining about you listening to a storm warning, and that's not typically the kind of thing you would listen to at a volume that would bother your neighbors.