pickin a little guitar by the fire...

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by fordtough68, Mar 19, 2013.

1. chinolofus

chinolofus New Member

Kids are just as safe today as they were back in the good old days. Thanks to the media every parent now thinks that 1 out of 2 people are child abusers. Kids were being abducted back then too, the media just didn't report on it as often. My mom was actually kidnapped in the late 50's but she started crying and the guy let her out of the car. She was very lucky. Unless you camp where there are gangs and drug dealers i think your kids will be just as safe as you were as a child.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Wardog07D likes this.
  2. nomoretent

nomoretent Member

I thought about getting a ukelele and even downloaded an app (lame) but DH says it's all too loud if anyone else can hear it, and I agree. Maybe nylon strings?

3. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

I would much rather hear a guitar softly playing than some nimrod and his friends listening to a car stereo with the doors open. One of my favorite camping memories is camping at a small state park that is not popular with most campers as there is no running water or bathrooms. During the off season/midweek you most likely will be the only person there.
    One night while there I was out kayaking underneath the stars, the only other campsite occupied was on the edge of the water, campfire reflecting off the water and two acoustic guitars playing softly. It was a great soundtrack for floating peacefully over the water.

4. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Unless I'm working on something specific that requires one, I generally play my guitar without a pick when camping. Picks simply amplify your sound. Even if it's during the day, I assume there are some that would prefer not to hear my guitar.

It all depends on proximity, amount of brush/tree cover, placement of vehicles, and other stuff, but strumming without a pick ends up being pretty soft and containable ... unless you're really getting carried away.

The other option is to play an electric guitar with no amplification. Then you'll really have a muted experience. [:D]

5. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I love to sit around the campfire doing a little picking. I don't believe I have ever bothered anyone as I was not out there until 2 AM playing away. They have a designated quiet time at most places for a reason. I just don't take any of this along.
    [​IMG]

6. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

I love hearing some soft, acoustic guitar while camping in the evening.
    Quiet hours should apply to everything, including guitar (and noisy generators [;)])

7. Old_Geezer

Come to think of it, I'd rather be camped next to someone playing guitar around the campfire, than be camped next to these guys.

[​IMG]

8. fordtough68

fordtough68 New Member

9. Tyreguy

Tyreguy Member

10. fordtough68

fordtough68 New Member

11. Old_Geezer

12. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

One weekend last summer, DH & I camped at a lakeside resort. The resort had some rental cabins, tons of seasonal TT, and 4 rental campsites. We arrived on Friday, and people from 2 of the other weekend campsites came over to our fire. Not to be judgemental, but DH & I don't drink, and we were older than the others. The next day, in the early afternoon, a gentleman came over, and just started shooting the bull. We found that we had similar views regarding politics/government. Before he left, he invited us to come over to his TT in the evening, and said he played the guitar. DH & I joined him, and a number of the seasonal people. He played acoustic guitar beautifully and sang a number of songs, including Willie Nelson, and he actually sang like Willie Nelson. This guy quite playing at 10 p.m., at which time, he turned in for the night. Everyone else stayed around the fire. Eventually, the crowd dwindled down, and well after midnight, it was DH & I and 2 other couples. It was a very enjoyable eveninng, and gave us an opportunity to meet some of the seasonal people.

13. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Sounds really nice, Barbara. Where abouts was that resort. :)

14. SteveM_CT

SteveM_CT Member

Bring two guitars and that way when there's another player at the campsite, you can jam.

Steve

15. Livin2Camp

Livin2Camp New Member

I would rather hear a guitar then an outside TV blaring an action movie....which did happen to us once.
    2 campsites down someone in a MH had an outside TV and the whole family was watching an action movie (guns, squealing tires, etc). It wasn't "quiet time" yet but still I think it was disrespectful. I felt bad for the people that had the site right next to theirs.
    I think someone finally complained....TV went off and didn't hear it for the rest of the camping trip.
    I just don't understand the need for an "ouside TV" on these new MH..... [?:~{]

16. mainahman

mainahman All the worlds indeed a stage

ID be grabbing my Acoustic bass and joining you around the fire [:)C]

17. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

I always bring my Banjo, made almost $200 on my last trip....."I'll give you $20 to put that thing away"....
    Times are rough gotta make it anyway you can.....
    Seriously our last trip My Buddy and I were picking, a couple guys come walking up saying some one told them we were playing and asked to come join us. a few minutes later they add a guitar and dobro to our banjo and guitar and spent the next several hours jamming, and all kinds of visitors...including another guitar and a ukulele.

18. k-t-did

k-t-did New Member

I like the quote: "if you are wondering if you are too loud, you probably are."

I love music by the fire. I probably would want to pull up a chair!

19. Andianna

Andianna New Member

I love singing and have an e-chord it produces some soft sound I. Was thinking of taking it with me after reading this thread I believe I will. My genre is folk and gospel. Looking forward to enjoying my music by the campfire. Since I'm usually in bed by 10 I will probably be in the realm of quiet time. [SNZ]

20. osagebow

osagebow New Member

Love to pick a bit! Usually play without a pick to keep it on the quiet side. We were at Shenandoah National park tenting and a large group of kids across from us were getting rowdy while murdering some grateful dead tunes. A few other groups (very patient) reminded them when it was quiet time and they still went on.

I put on an old dead shirt I had and walked over. Did my best hippie voice and said "dudes...mellow out before this place is crawling with heat...i'm sure some of y'all don't want that vibe man.."

Thankfully they cracked up and packed up, and apologized to the neighbors. Park rangers showed up soon after, lectured, and went on their merry way. Kids brought us breakfast next morning as we were packing up!

Oh, BTW, skip big meadows campground. It's huge and kinda lame. Go to a smaller one at SNP. [;)]