pickin a little guitar by the fire...

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by fordtough68, Mar 19, 2013.

1. raymonk

raymonk New Member

Picking guitar is this just another camping activity no different than someone playing music on their radio, cd player etc. If
    this offends anyone, then they should just look around for a quieter campground.

2. Tgriff3

Tgriff3 New Member

I think it's fantastic! I would play/sing if I were musically talented but I'm not. I bought my 9 year old son a guitar for his birthday and he is taking lessons so I may get my campfire songs after all. When his guitar teacher asked what my goals were for him I listed songs around the campfire as one!

3. mainahman

mainahman All the worlds indeed a stage

There was a couple of guys pickin a lil geetar this past weekend where we were. They were camping in an older Palomino Pony popup appeared to be a splitting image of my old 87 model, and we could hear them from our site. I almost went and joined in, but didn't pack any instruments this trip.

4. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Well, I guess my avatar answers this...

5. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

My wife wont let me take my guitar so I would probably come over and BEG you to let me play a few songs on yours!!! I would compensate you with drinks of course. But yes at quit time or an hour before I would put it back in its case. [8D]

6. FiveInAFlagstaff

FiveInAFlagstaff Member

Being non-musical myself, I think hearing a guitar would add to the evening! We don't usually play music, so it would be a nice change. I do love to sing, so I'd be happy to join a sing-along!

7. shawnba

shawnba Shitters full!!!

I see no problem with it...but with that being said...singing till 4am while others are in bed is rude!! Once again. consideration is the key!! I wouldnt do anything that I wouldnt want my camping neighbours to do to me!! So either invite me over and I will come over and sing with you, or if I decline respectfully, please be nice and let me have a little quiet!!...lol

8. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

On our last trip, I pulled my banjo out and quietly plunking a few tunes, within a couple minutes the camp host was in my site and grabbing a chair.

9. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Our family used to camp around the Rockville Indiana area near Turkey Run SP. One of my memories "set in stone" was an older guy playing clarinet around his camp fire. He had kind of a jazzy, cool thing going. I think half the campers ended up around his camp fire. He quit early enough for everyone to settle in at a decent time of night. There's a time and a place for everything. That was back in the early 80's and his age would have been about right for the era... I wonder if the old timer was a part of a big band or it was something more than a hobby-

10. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

I like listening to people play the guitar while camping! Like others have said though, you should stop at quiet time.

11. avid camper

avid camper New Member

I have camped all my life and i bring my guitar every time. I make sure i play at a level that will not disturb those close by. Most people really enjoy the sound of the guitar, and i have never had a noise complaint. Everyone i have talked to would rather listen to a guitar than a radio at a campground. I get a lot of people dropping by just to listen or even join in with their own instruments. As long as you respect those around you, guitar playing while camping is great fun.
    [{:)]

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Brings me back to when I was a kid. When we were camping with the girl scout troop one of the fathers brought his guitar and pulled it out after dinner was cleaned up and the fire was going. We would all get to make requests and we would all try and sing along. The guitar would always be put away an hour before quiet time, more for the sake of the guitarist I'm sure. 12 girls 12 different songs, my fingers would fall off. Gave us time to tell stories around the campfire instead. [CP]

13. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Only if you play Freebird.

14. pjnlorrie

pjnlorrie Member

I love live music, Folk, Bluegrass, Native American, you name it. But I agree with the crew recommending to please observe quiet hours. Sometimes, no matter how well played, you just need quiet. Some years back we had come back to camp after a brutal hike and desparately wish to get some shut eye. A party of college kids set up next to us, despite the very dispersed CG being nearly empty, and began to sing, drink and play guitar. The more they drank, the louder they became. I went over and politely explained our needs and asked if they could call it a night. They agreed to be quiet, but the beer got the best of them. On the second visit I asked why they had set up next to us. The said they felt safer next to other campers. I responded that they were not safe, not at all, and asked if they realized what an effective weapon a guitar could become in the right hands. They packed up and moved. [;)]

15. artist143tm

artist143tm I love camping!

Ummmm yes!! Totally agree!!!!! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

16. SteveM_CT

SteveM_CT Member

We have a user group meeting for our clients each year. We started having a reception in the hotel bar the night before. I found that some of my clients play guitar, so one of them brought one and I brought two, so we played late into the night.

A bunch of drunks in the corner started yelling "free bird", so I grabbed a beer bottle for a slide and Ryan did the chords.

I haven't brought a guitar with us yet, but I might actually opt for an electric. Not that I'd bring the amp, but the electric is smaller and makes less sound, so I don't have to worry as much if the folks in the next campsite don't like Yes and Led Zeppelin.

Steve

17. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

If ya camp near me I'll bring the Amp....

18. SteveM_CT

SteveM_CT Member

I have two battery-powered amps, I just think I would not bother bringing them, but, truth be told, while Mood for a Day or Black Mountain Side are OK on acoustic, Black Dog just doesn't work unplugged.

Steve

19. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

20. Brad Metzger

Brad Metzger New Member