Pickup truck cargoback where

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Buckmaster81, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Buckmaster81

Buckmaster81 Active Member

With our first season of camping under our belt, I learned quite a few things. Some of which is that my pickup truck does eventually fill up, the other is that my old tonneau cover leaks in heavy rain and my wife’s clothes are not safe from rain in the bed.

I am going to have to upgrade my bed situation but there is no perfect solution with camping and life in mind. I like having a pickup truck so I can get big, heavy or bulky loads without paying for delivery. I do not use that feature terribly often but at least a few times a year it’s a dumpster or dirt or mulch mover etc.

I could get.....
    A cap: this offers the best use of space and weather protection. Can load a ton of stuff back there , install roof racks, fishing rod holders and still have room to spare. The downside is using my truck in the off season in haul dirt, mulch or a quad is out of the question. I do not have room to store a cap nor enough strong people available within a moments notice to remove one so if I go that route I am sacrificing my pickup truck and building a suburban.

Retractable tonneau cover with roof rack tracks. Then I could either get a roof box for additional storage, bike racks and fishing pole holders as well or a cargo rack. Downside is none of that stuff is really protected from the weather unless I get a travel box for the roof racks too. They aren’t totally water proof and all the accessories will cost the same as a cap in the end. A retractable tonneau isn’t all that easy to remove either so getting a bed full of mulch or dirt is going to make a mes of things.

Folding tonneau: puts me right back where I am. It eliminates the possibility of any accessories or storage unless I get very high roof racks but is easy to remove.

I’m torn and really cant decide which direction to go. I am leaning on the retractable system with roof racks but I’d love to hear from the rest of you. If you have a pickup, what’s your setup and why? Pics would be welcome.

2. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

You could get a roof rack for the cab of the truck. Then you could mount whatever you want up there and still use the bed best for each scenario. I had a Yakima setup on my old F-150, which worked great.

Have you checked out the soft retractable caps? They wouldn’t have the security of a traditional cap, but would be much easier to get out of the way to use the bed.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have a tri-fold and have never had it leak in the rain.. perhaps you need to look at the seals on the cover..

Squeeker, Raycfe and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Buckmaster81

Seals are shot, the cover is 10 years old and it was only $200 when I got it.
    It’s served it’s purpose.

5. Buckmaster81

Good idea with the cab racks, didn’t think of that.

Soft retractable as in Velcro or snaps?

6. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

I would recommend the Bakflip Tonneau. I've had mine over 6 years and still pleased with it. It has a built in drain system and the only time I've had water in the bedI found a clod of dirt blocking the drain rail. It is a little pricey but it beats having to crawl under a cap to get to something in the front of the bed.

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com likes this.
  7. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I have a trifold one (Extang Trifecta) and it's been through some nasty storms and never leaked. We do store it (and the truck) in the garage, which probably helps longevity. We needed something without rails that goes off and on easily because we have a slidein camper.

8. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I can fit a few smaller suitcases in my tool box, its water tight. Bed of the truck can haul the bikes. Worse case, put garbage bags over the clothing and put it under thw tool box. But i find thw box is sufficient for 3 peoples stuff for like 4 5 day trip.

10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mine is a soft rollup with velcro and I haven't had any leaking issues.

Buckmaster81 likes this.
  11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Kind of along the same lines as sjm9911 to use a heavy duty waterproof container to put your gear in. That way it’s easier to pull out and keeps everything clean and dry. My brother uses the huge truck tool box trunk along with those rubber made tough boxes similar to this...to keep his tools dry. He does tree work and other odd yard jobs and often his tools/ropes stay in his work truck when at home.

447CB717-F1F2-4247-8C9C-BFF2F12A2E5C.jpeg

Buckmaster81 and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

How about using the big vacuum bags to put the clothes in? It will keep them dry, bug free and take up less space.

13. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I put all the suitcases inside the camper. I put almost nothing in the TV

14. Bradley E Dixon

Bradley E Dixon New Member

I found that the back of my truck filled up pretty fast and the "gear" wouldn't all fit under my soft roll-up tonneau cover.

I ended up going with the truck cap option.

Pros - keeps everything dry
    - can haul more
    - I now have an option for the dog kennels instead of having them run loose in the cab

Cons - loading/unloading is more difficult as you can't just reach over the side anymore
    - I ended up having to fashion a push/pull stick & and get a small 3ft step ladder so I can crawl in/out easier (I'm not getting any younger.....)
    - new is VERY spendy$$$ (I found a good used LEER and Scorpion Lined the exterior - under $900 bucks)

I am planning on adding roof rack w/ a THULE cargo carrier at some point. My PUP has very limited storage even with the 9ft front cargo deck especially when I'm hauling our ATV's (minus the windscreens shown).

my 2cents......

Attached Files:

Buckmaster81 and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We have a quad-fold cover on our Silverado 1500, had the same one when we (briefly) had a Colorado. We get a little moisture in from the sides when it goes through a car wash, but it doesn't seem like it does that in the rain. I think it's the sideways driven water in the car wash. What we found with both trucks is that the fine dust of back roads infiltrates the truck bed. We can see daylight through a few small openings when we look under the cover. We pack things in plastic totes, and have changed those as we figured out which ones have been less dust proof. What little food we now keep in the truck is in the cab, since we have the nice flip-up back seat that gives extra cargo area. When we had the Colorado, we had not yet changed how we pack foods for the TT, and I spent an entire afternoon washing packages and cans of food that had been in less-than-dust-proof plastic boxes. If/when we need to pack food in the truck bed, we'll use totes with seals.
    I can handle the quad fold, though have to climb up on a step stool we take on trip, so I can fold more than one section, one of the perils of being short.
    I still miss the Thule roof top cargo box (our TT is 17', so space is at a premium), but it doesn't work on the current truck. If nothing else these days, it's be handy to have the attic space to stash the laundry bags, or other things not needed close to hand. We can manage to fit all the clothing in the TT, as we did in our second pup. (We did not store food in either pup.)
    We had a cap on a small truck we had years ago, and found it was a pain to access things packed near the cab. I'm sure there are handier caps these days, as well as ones that are more secure than that one was. (At the time, 20 years ago, my husband took his road bike to work to ride with a group at lunch. It was stolen while parked at church one evening, so after that, he locked it to a cable and loop on the truck bed.)

Buckmaster81 likes this.
  16. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

I'm using this to keep things dry along with several plastic totes with lids. The cover hasn't leaked in rain/snow. I chose a fabric cover as I can roll it up if I need to carry something big in the bed of my truck. The totes hold firewood, clothes and can double as a nice place to cool your feet if you fill them with water!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  17. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

We have the dust issue too. I added a tailgate seal, which helped a lot but still far from dust free. I don't recommend this seal because the lower seal started rolling off in a little over a year, but it's still holding on. There are other holes in the bed which need to be sealed to further reduce dust and I'm actually thinking duct tape before our next trip.

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We added that same seal on the Colorado, but by the time we traded it (a.k.a. the lemon) on the Silverado, after maybe a year with the seal, we'd had to reattach quite a bit. We never bothered with the Silverado. The tailgate is probably the least leaky section of the bed, I think the bed rug helps there. (We've had to add new tape for that too,t he truck is 2 years old. Yay for arid climates.)

19. Buckmaster81

20. Buckmaster81

This looks like another good option. I was considering this but wanted the extra storage with the roof racks. If I do go with cab top racks I can go this route.