PIC'S AS PROMISED

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by BigDan, Jul 15, 2012.

1. BigDan

BigDan A bad day camping beats a good day at work

[​IMG]
    stereo installed after a little messing around
    [​IMG]
    back of stereo (like i needed to state the obvious lol)
    [​IMG]
    one speaker just inside the door on the right
    [​IMG]
    other speaker straight in from the door under the furnace
    [​IMG]
    fridge fans installed and working perfect and for only $2.95 each
    [​IMG]
    switch for fridge fans ( thought it lit up but it does not but i cant ask much for $.95)

2. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

Nice job!

3. sloppyseconds

sloppyseconds New Member

i like the fridge fans, but are they necessary? i only ask because i recently removed the ice box and installed a dorm size fridge. should i as fans as well?

4. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

No. Fridge fans not needed for a dorm style fridge. The absorption type fridge commonly used in RV's need all the help they can get, especially in a popup.

5. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

So are the fridge fans blowing in or out? Or does it matter?

6. BigDan

right, dorm size fridge's dont need them but the air flow over the cooling fins on these is virtualy non existant and with the fans i have had them running for about 3 hours now and my fridge is cold. the last time i tried to run my fridge off 120v i let it run over night on 120v in the driveway, unpluged it for 2 hours to get to the campground and the fridge was warm inside. i turned the propane on and it was cold inside an hour. the 120v is still not going to be as good as propane but it works much better now

7. BigDan

Bill, i have mine blowing in and i think that would work the best but i think it is all relative. either way air flow is air flow

8. papachaz

papachaz New Member

actually, without the fans, the set up is for a natural 'chimney' effect, as the air passes through the fins, it gets hot, rises up and out the top, drawing more cool air in from the bottom. so if you put the fans blowing in, you're going against the science of 'heat rises' you should put them blowing out, so they pull air in from the bottom, through the fins, and push the hot air out the top instead of blowing it back in

9. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

This......

And it wouldn't hurt to channel the airflow from the bottom louver up into the fins. A cap across the fins to make sure the air gets into the fans would be good also.

But propane's better still.....

10. NismoGriff

NismoGriff New Member

Looks good. Is that a Metra 99-4544 dash kit, or some variation??

11. BigDan

papa. i get what you are saying and i was not sure what way to face the fans, i figured that any air moving across the fins would be better than how the setup was intended to work in the first place. i will see how this works and if i decide that it is not working for me it is very easy for me to turn them around and also i can add another fan and i think that would be great. i appreciate any info on improvements that can be made to any mod i have done

BelchFire. to be honest i have no idea what kind of stereo kit that is, i grabbed it out of a car i was taking parts off of at out local U-pull-R-parts junk yard and i thought it would fit great.

12. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I agree with most other posters here, the fans should be blowing out.

On another note, I have a question about your stereo. Installation looks good, but I'm just wondering how sturdy the mounting of it is. The rear has a little bit of weight hanging out there, but the unit is only supported by the front face. While bouncing down the road, there may be some stress put on the face and possibly loosen things up. Is there a way to use some perforated strapping (all round) and hang the back of the unit for support? We always did it with our car stereos. You could use the screw that is on the rear plate, high in the center. Go straight up from there and use a short 1/2 inch screw to attach the strapping to the underside of the counter top. Just a thought.

13. BigDan

the pic is a little decieving, both sides of the stereo mounting kit are supported by about 1" of OSB that was in there for support of the outlet box and the fire extinguisher but i do have some all round that i could do that with and i was thinking about it. i will go ahead and swap around the fans, i never knew that these were designed to work that way. they seem to be working well right now, when i swap them around will i notice a big difference?

14. BigDan

i am sorry, one side is supported and the other side is screwed into the other piece of wood. but i will put the straps in