Pictorial catalog of mods so far (long, and picture intensive)

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by bondebond, Jul 16, 2012.

1. djturnz

djturnz Member

Walmart also has it under Camco brand. White or black in different widths

2. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

Where did you find black wire shelving for your rear bumper, or is it painted?

3. bondebond

bondebond New Member

4. grnsourapple

grnsourapple "Time camping isn't spent, it's invested!"

Love all the Mods! It gives me great ideas for my PUP. (It's identical to yours, or it was at one point!! [LOL])

I definitly find it odd that it has no gray water holding tank. :( Haven't taken the PUP out yet so have yet to come up with a real good solution other then a 5-gallon bucket and hose. I figure that is a quick fix until I get a tote-along or something more permanant.

Thanks again for all the great ideas!!

[PU] 2006 Fleetwood Sequoia
    [TV] 2012 Nissan Pathfinder

5. tigerflier

tigerflier Member

Alright! Another '06 Sequoia!

6. bondebond

bondebond New Member

We need to start our own little support group. No one else understands 2006 Sequoias and the strange configuration that they are. '06 Niagaras are similarly equipped but they have the benefit of the slide out dinette so they get a "pass".

grnsourapple, stick with the 5 gallon bucket for a bit. I used an Aquatainer for several years before getting to where I am.

Unfortunately, I will have to rebuild the Tote-along carrier I made for under the rear bumper. I never designed it to carry any weight beyond the empty Tote but recently tried to force it to carry about 12 gallons to the dump on Pull Out Day. It bent like a coat hanger in a sword fight. I may see about welding steel angle iron instead. We'll see.

7. tigerflier

tigerflier Member

My Sequoia is getting a bit of a transformation including a bed extension to make the 70 x 77 "King" size bed a true 76 x 80.

8. grnsourapple

grnsourapple "Time camping isn't spent, it's invested!"

Thanks, will do!

9. bman

bman New Member

Great mods.

10. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Ok, with a few of the bigger projects around the house on hold, I had to give some attention to the PUP before taking her out this weekend.

These are less of mods and more of repairs, but I'm getting really cheap in my old age and into fabricating more and more on my own.

The first problem to solve is the broken clip at the end of the shepherds pole that holds it up against the bunk end bow. One of the legs of the C-shaped clamp broke off. Only the force of having the pole installed would keep it in place but I felt nervous about it slipping and puncturing the vinyl roof or Sunbrella walls. I can still find the replacement parts at $6 each plus shipping but that puts it well above $10 for one. It looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Well, standing in the plumbing isle at my local big box home improvement store, I see something awfully close to the same thing. It's a PVC tee that looks like it snaps onto the outside of a PVC pipe. Here's their picture of it.
    [​IMG]

I bought one and noted the differences. It will not fit inside the shepherds pole like the OEM part does. It's too big but it is large enough to go on the outside. I only had to drill out a little bit on the inside of the tee to make it a very tight and secure compression fitting. Easy enough.

Next, the length of the clamp-on section was quite a bit wider than the OEM part so I just cut off the extra that stuck out from the base, sanded down the sharp edges and I am back in business. It is a positive clamping force on the bow without being too loose or too tight. The bonus is that it is white instead of the OEM black. I like the white much better and may do the other bunk end just to match.
    $1.69 plus tax and about 10 minutes of my time.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The next broken part is the anti-friction pad that sits on the front wall of the PUP to help the bunk end bed slide out. They are notoriously weak parts prone to high failure, especially if over-tightened during installation. However, I haven't really found a good source for them. I did once but have since lost track of it. Here's what the broken parts look like.
    [​IMG]
    It is UHMW polyethylene. It's great stuff. However, no place to source it locally, I have to turn to the internet with associated shipping costs. I would have to custom mill it which is really no problem since it cuts reasonably well (it machines well, shall we say).

I cruise the second-hand stores from time to time to see if someone has offloaded some camping treasure or what not. It's amazing how I can go through a store with a few target items in mind for and skip right over something that would be useful in a current or near future project. This almost happened to me this week but I did pause long enough at the Goodwill, holding a box of unused Medline walker skis.
    [​IMG]
    They are not the exact match of UHMW poly but close enough for what I needed them for. They will take some milling but actually the height of them was perfect a match for the broken blocks. To start, I cut off the columns by hand that go up into the bottom of the walker. I had to do a lot of clean up on those cuts with a razor knife to get them flush. This stuff doesn't work well by hand.

Since this part can get a lot of weight and pressure on it, I wanted to over-engineer it a bit, so I left it as wide and as deep as I could. To cut these dimensions, I used a jig and my table saw, first cutting off the curved front of the ski. Talk about a hot knife through butter resulting in a nice, clean cut. I then drilled holes to match the spacing of the original pieces. I countersunk the screw holes a bit but not nearly as far as the OEM part. This way, if the glides wear down a bit, it will take them quite a while before they finally hit the top of the screw head.
    Unfortunately, in my haste to install them at lunch today so we can hit the road as soon as I get off of work tonight, I forgot to take some completed pictures. I will do that and post them as who cares about the old, broken stuff.
    Cost of this repair: $.50 plus about 15 minutes of time.

11. edh

edh Active Member

Great mods here. A camper company should hire you as their creative guy. I wonder if they troll sites like this for ideas for improving their products?

12. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

THIS^!

You would think so but they're not interested in over engineering anything or building campers that last more than 10 years, are they.

13. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Thanks for the kind words.

Here's a picture of the replacement glides installed. The original glides had some silicone under them which really doesn't stick at all to UHMW PE but what I put down will hopefully seal the hole underneath regardless of whether it sticks to the replacement glides or not.

Roadside
    [​IMG]

Cubrside
    [​IMG]

14. 1stpopup

1stpopup Member

I know this sounds odd but a builder I know uses those blocks to space wood off the slab on outside railings. Says its not for structure but keeps the wood just high enough to prevent rot.
    So you may be able to find them at a hardware store.

Mod looks great btw.

15. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I'll keep that in mind when I have to replace the rear gliders. I noticed one is starting to crack like the front ones did.

16. woodworkerfella

woodworkerfella Member

I know it is years later, but I've just found this post and am really enjoying reading through it. Thanks!

17. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Yes, bondebond did a great job documenting a lot of his mods in one place. I've used at least two of his mods on my camper: the tongue storage spot for the BAL leveler; and the grey water storage piece under the camper. Both work great and are exactly what I was looking for.

Oh, and the "Bed Ramp" that you were looking for is sold here. I know it was the same source for the clip on the shepherd's poles and therefore over priced, but it's a start.

18. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I just woke up the PUP this weekend so maybe I'll take some more pictures of a few things I've done since I last touched up this thread. Mice had gotten into the shop and chewed their way through several things in there (suffice it to say they're now no longer part of the picture) and I had gotten really lazy at the end of the Fall and never moved the PUP inside the shop. I may have dodged a bullet there by not having mice winter over inside the PUP!

Our PUP is mostly quite functional now but I've stolen some ideas from fellow Portal members. You guys are a wealth of information and I thank you for sharing it.

Adrianpglover, I'd love to see pictures of your BAL storage. I just use bungees to keep it in place and actually need to re-work it as I had had to widen the jaws of the BAL to fit more easily around my tires. Thus it does not fit completely in the holder I made.

Possible upcoming projects:
    • Curtains - the white liner backing is starting to stick to itself so it may be time to replace them with better light-blocking material. I just barely know how to run a sewing machine so this could be interesting, but fairly easy to do.
    • Refrigerator replacement - this is a high wall with a specialized model of refrigerator from Europe that is not any kind of a standard footprint now available by the main gas absorption refrigerator makers (and I do want a 2- or 3-way replacement). So this is definitely going to take some thinking and retooling. I hope not.
    • Rework the blue tote carrier under the rear bumper. I tried to carry a half-full tote of gray water to the dump and bent the aluminum frame. It's a simple repair (drill out the rivets and replace the bent sections) but I'm thinking I actually want to redesign it to carry some water weight instead of towing the blue tote on the TV's hitch. Steel and a welder may be in my future.
    • USB-friendly charging ports near the master bedroom and actual extension to the far front of the bunkend so I can charge my phone overnight. I sleep at the very front of the PUP and hate having a cord draped over my wife at night, so something semi-permanent is in order.
    • and a few others that are still forming in my head

Of course, all of this comes AFTER the stick-n-brick house gets the wrap-ups on two building and renovation projects that Mrs. bondebond wants. Those come come first [:D].

19. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

Now there's a man that knows what Momma want's Momma gets...

20. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

I don't have a picture of it with the strap holding it down, but here's the link to my post on the BAL storage. To hold it in place I use an old cambuckle strap that is cut short. The strap goes around the rear battery mount angle iron piece and I wrap it 2-3 times around the top of the BAL and then through the buckle.

Mine is also widened to accept the LT235/75R15 tires. I may be widening them further in a year or so if I end up doing the axle swap to get the increased load capacity that I'm currently in the planning stages of. If I do it then I'm going to be using LT245/75R16 tires, so a bit more than an inch larger diameter.