Pie Iron ham, turkey, and 3 cheese quesadillas.

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by dbhost, Jun 27, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

In refreshing / reseasoning my pie irons after their long pitiful in a tote slumber, i cleaned them up, seasoned them up and made my neighbors look at me funny by using them on the Weber kettle this past weekend...

I wanted to try something out...

Pie irons not blazing hot, but not cold, apply melted butter to both sides of the iron inside, press in a flour or corn tortilla each side (I like flour, my wife likes corn), Fill with shredded uncured ham, and smoked turkey cold cuts, and shredded 3 cheese mexican cheese blend. Close and latch the irons and place on coals about 1 minute each side, pop out and serve with Mexican sour cream, and salsa.

The buttered iron halves help to add some flavor and in my case, improve the non stick since the seasoning is just base, not built up through lots of use...

Lather rinse and repeat until everyone is happy with dinner.

Cleanup is easy, just wipe it down and apply a touch of olive oil and just let it heat face down over / near the coals. You don't want the oil to burn off, just cook in...

2. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

It occurred to me that we make low carb pizzas of sorts at home using flour tortillas. I think I am going to try making pie iron tortilla calzones using pizza sauce cheese and whatever toppings we bring along... Probably a fast easy and good quick cook for dinner...

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. The_Al_Mighty

The_Al_Mighty New Member

We use our pie irons on almost every trip. My DW's favorite is what we call taco pockets. Using flour tortillas for the top and bottom, we fill it with taco meat, refried beans, cheese, onions and taco sauce. I've been known to make every meal and dessert over a weekend using pie irons. Clean up is easy, finger food all the way.

dbhost, HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

My kid has decided she hates tosted bread now, so i need to try tortillas or pie dough or something.