pie irons? what, how, and prepairng?

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by ill.plainsman, Jun 3, 2013.

1. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

just a thought a couple years ago we used our pieirons to make some smor's over the fire. 1 of our grankids thought they would clean off their iron by burning the stuff off. it worked but the pans took a real messing up from to much heat. are there cast iron ones instead of aluminum? how do you season them? like a cast iron skillet? how long does it take to make your favorite iron thingy PB&J,Sm-ores, fruit pies, pizza, sandwich? any other ideas or uses for a campfires favorate cooking appliance? [BBQ] [BBQ] [CF] [)#(] [)#(] [CK] [CK]

2. kentuckyrascal

kentuckyrascal Member

If they are aluminum ones you can clean them up with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and making a paste by adding baking soda. Let it set for a few minutes then rub it clean. Remember when using the pie irons that u need to butter or spray each side every time you use them. If you remember this shouldn't have any problem keeping them clean.

3. backwoodsmama

backwoodsmama New Member

They do have cast iron ones. Right now, we only have the aluminum ones. You season the cast iron ones like any other skillet. We don't have any problems with our aluminum ones. We make s'mores, fruit pies, pizzas, grilled cheese, breakfast sandwiches, taco sandwiches, pretty much anything you can imagine. They are super versatile and are sooooo awesome to have with your camping gear!

4. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Season like a cast iron skillet. I'm going camping solo this weekend and will cook with my new double pie iron. Looking forward to using for first time. Rome has some interesting cookbooks for pie irons. If I'm using bread,I'll butter one side and put buttered side to the cast iron. Helps keeping them seasoned. Just about anything tastes good with a pie iron!

5. jlynn58

jlynn58 Active Member

All my are Rome cast iron but one it's aluminum. I think the cast iron ones cook better. I let a aluminum in the fire to preheat and it melted.

6. Keithsbabe

Keithsbabe New Member

We have two cast iron ones; one is a single and one is a double. I spray them with olive oil cooking spray and butter the bread. We've never had a problem! I didn't season them, but we did preheat them the first time.

7. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

We have the aluminum ones and they work fine but just bought the Rome cast iron double one and the Rome single one and the pie iron cookbook. The recipes were making my mouth water. Can't wait to try a Reuben sandwich in there and a burrito. We have used them for pizza, grilled cheeses, and fruit pies already. Some of the breakfast recipes with hash browns and eggs sounded good too. YUM!

8. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

That's what i was talking about. and yes jlynn that's what happened to my aluminum one. i think my grandson was trying to help. i have tried a pizza but was not very successful. just could not get it to taste like a pizza. i used bread, butter, spaghetti sauce, and a good mozzarella cheese. toasted and it didn't come out like pizza. i have done pies like cherry and apple and they work pretty good but was wondering since there is usually only the wife and i what do you do with the extra filling? or do you just toss it? it just seems to be a big waist to use 3 or4 tablespoons of filling or have you found a smaller can of filling than the 21oz cans . are there any other recipe's that you have tried.

9. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I stay away from the cast aluminum, I have melted them. Cast iron is it. Rome and Palmer manufacturing are the Cadillacs of pie irons.

http://www.pieiron.com/

The Palmer ones are good if you get the cast iron

http://www.cpalmermfg.com/

I am in love with the Rome Panini iron. You can make a really unhealthy tasty sandwich with that thing.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GY5QBS/?tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=2090233753&ref=pd_sl_dz1xvqw9s_e

And the hamburger irons are great too.

http://www.amazon.com/Romes-1505-Wilderness-Griller-Handles/dp/B000LGW8Q2/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1370372486&sr=1-3&keywords=rome+burger

We have a whole bag full of them including the dog cookers, singles, doubles. The cast iron Romes are almost indestructible. I guess you could crack them if you tried hard enough and maybe burn the handles off.

These books are also worth it, great recipes, and the pictures in them are hilarious. Try the Pesto Calzone.

http://www.pieiron.com/PIacces.htm

10. Darn

Darn Pup to Hybrid

OK, I think everyone will like this trick, I'm not sure where TBird came up with it, but we bought a cloth Riffle case to put our Pie Irons in. It's GREAT! They are all in one place, they don't rattle around and you don't have to worry about the neighbors when they see you pull out the gun case and put it by the fire [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

11. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

We have had both, aluminum and cast iron. We never cared for the aluminum ones, and they ended up melting in the fire one time. Go ahead and spring the cast iron, you won't regret it. You season them, just like you do your cast iron skillet or DO. Take care of them the same way as well.

Using bread is great when making a sandwich in the irons put if you want it taste like pizza, bread is not going to cut it. Try using canned biscuits,
    flattened to fit into the iron, on both sides and then put your choice of toppings inside, close and cook, dont' put directly into the fire, put into the coals and turn and check often. Don't think the first few will turn out perfect, they won't. In fact that is nature of cooking over the coals, sometimes things get a little dark, here and there. It is still usually eatable.

If you are wasting the pie filling, try just just using jams or preserves inside, and add a little cream cheese, if you like. For these use could use, ready made pie crust, cut into squares to fit into the pie iron, instead of white bread. I just don't care for the taste of bread when I am wanting pie. But....Raisin Bread, that is another story, You can also use fresh fruit, instead of the canned fillings, which would be healthier but not as gooey.

Our favorite is breakfast. Bread, a few slices of pre cooked bacon, some diced pre cooked potato, egg and cheese. Oh man, so good,

Next time we camp together, we can play with pie irons and get some goodies going. Ha ha.

And Darn, we keep ours in bag chair bags, that no longer have a chair to go inside. We do the same with our fire pit utensils, hot dog sticks and etc.

12. Darn

Darn Pup to Hybrid

That's a good idea too! I like the look on the neighbors faces when we pull out the gun case thou, it's awesome [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

13. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

Man you all have turned me on to a whole new thing. I gotta get me some of these.

14. MycaPie

MycaPie "Learnin' 'bout Cuba. Havin' some food."

That is an awesome idea! [;)]

15. wapwap

wapwap New Member

Waffle, waffle, waffle, waffle!
    I have a waffle pie iron that I'm stoked to try this year!!
    Ours are all cast iron, but of a few different manufacturers.

Yooper beat me to suggesting adding a little cream cheese to the pie filling. But we've been known to add frosting too (you know the Betty or Doughboy versions from the store) - in vanilla or chocolate usually.

We also cheat and get the spray butter - a few spritzes into each side of the iron and I don't have to butter every single piece of bread (or whatever we're using). And the kids can do it themselves.

Try making pancakes in the pie irons. Or french toast. Or brownies. Or hot ham'n'cheese. Or Chicken/Beef/Cheese/Bean Quesadillas. Or...

16. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Ohhh, I love the frosting idea and the spray butter. I keep a spray of veg oil in the pup, during the season for spraying on cast iron. I have used it before when making the "pies" but it don't taste as good as butter. LOL!

17. jlynn58

jlynn58 Active Member

Use pizza sauce not spaghetti sauce. That is how I make pizza and they taste great.
    DW got my a Rome cast iron Hot Dog cooker for Christmas. I cann't wait to use it. [%] [%] [%] [%] [%] [%] [%]

18. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I'd never heard of pie irons. Now there seems to be another cooking utensil that I'm going to have to get! It sounds like cast iron is the way to go, but which one(s) would be the best to get first. The round one, square one, or double one?

How do you make s'mores in something like that? Messy?

19. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Start with a square one, we use squeezable butter for both sides, add bread and put stuff between. Cheese, ham and cheese, pizza sauce and fixin's, pie filling. The end is endless [8D]
    I do S'Mores the old fashioned way but with Reese PB cup or Snickers Fun size, sometimes a fudge cookie [:D]

20. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member