Pilot light trouble

krock

Aug 23, 2015
Currently on my first pop-up camper trip which is going great except I can't seem to get hot water heater pilot light lit. I have a 2005 Starcraft centennial 3606. Any help would be appreciated as it's supposed to be 27 degrees tonight!!!!! Thanks.

JT105

Jun 29, 2015
If you haven't used the pup in a while, you may have air in the propane lines. I found that lighting the stove for a few minutes helps the flush the air out and get the propane flowing. Also running the furnace will flush more air. The water heater pilot light uses so little propane that it takes a long time to flush the air out.

generok

Super Active Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
Not sure on your model, but does a 2005 water heater even HAVE a pilot light? Most are electronic ignition these days and have been for years.

Harvardroger

If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!
Sep 5, 2011
If it is a standard "hold down the pilot button" unit it can take a while.

Try lighting an inside stove burner if you have one to bleed air out of the line.

I have a dowel that holds down the pilot button on the water heater. Set it to pilot and hole it down for 2 minutes. Then light. Keep it on pilot for 1 minute more. Then turn the knob to High and you should be good to go.

kstephens

Jul 28, 2014
I have found if has not been used in a while, it may take several minutes of holding that button down before the lines get purged so it will light. Much longer than you would expect. I assumed I was out of propane on my first trip, and asked the same question on here. I just keep holding it down and try to light every 15 or so seconds. It seems it can take up to 3-4 minutes though.

krock

Aug 23, 2015
Thanks for the tips. I held down pilot knob for over 10 minutes and won't even light no less stay on. I had used both inside and outside stoves to cook on so that trick took care of itself. I'm thinking may have a blockage in the line somewhere. Is that possible?? Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. This is my first post and I appreciate all the help I can get!!

real lite virgin

Rob,Suzanne & Jessie - Black Lab
Apr 15, 2010
The blockage could be as simple as a spider web inside the tube. You may just need to take things apart and clean them out.