Pilot stays on, but fridge is not getting cold

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by alkaisco, Aug 6, 2020.

1. alkaisco

alkaisco New Member

Hello all this is my first post on this forum so I apologize if this has been previously discussed. I have a 2008 Palomino pop up with a 3-way fridge. Propane/120V/12V. My issue is this. When I try to run the fridge on propane, I can light the pilot and it stays on .. but the fridge does not get cold. Occasionally I see a small orange flame flare up but it is very infrequent. The fridge runs fine on 120 volt .. so I assume there's nothing wrong with the fridge itself. Does anyone have any idea what may be happening ?

ADDENDUM: I think it is important to add some history.
    My *original* problem (it seems like a millennium ago) was that the pilot would light while the grey knob was depressed but when released the pilot would go out. At that time (to keep the pilot lit), a friend suggested running the propane concurrently with the 12v switch On. I protested that this is NOT how the system is designed to work, but we tried and with the 12v switch On, the pilot stayed on ! However, because the fridge is designed to run on only ONE energy source at a time (not to mention draining the 12v battery), I threw out the concurrent idea altogether. This meant I still had the problem of the pilot going out (after releasing the grey knob). So after some research (I think it was a post on this forum) it was suggested that because gas was reaching the pilot, the problem of the pilot going out was not likely due to a faulty valve but may be due to a misaligned or faulty thermocouple. This is when I decided to have a look at the thermocouple (and this is why in the photo the metallic cylinder has been removed). And this brings me back to the top of this post .. the pilot is now staying on, but the fridge is not getting cold. BTW, I think the pilot is staying on *now* because the thermocouple *is* working fine but may have been jarred into correct alignment while I was removing the metallic cylinder. I apologize for the length of this post but I felt that the history was important. 20200806_104507.jpg

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

the 'pilot' is all there is, it is the burner. Ya need to do regular maintaince, ie blow with air, clean the burner etal and soak the orifice in alcohol. spiders like living in the burner tube. Then there is gas pressure which requires a manometer to measure, you can make one with clear tubing!

sounds like it gets enough heat on 120v and not enough via propane

really old manual, try section 21
    http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/DometicRefrigerator.pdf

Then there is baffling to get air to flow over the top fins! other will detail that!

3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

You keep referring to a "pilot" flame which your fridge doesn't have as that small flame is as big as it gets when running the fridge on propane. You haven't told us just which fridge you have but from the pic I can tell it's a Dometic RM2193. As you've concluded yourself do not ever run this fridge on more than one mode at a time. You might want to download a service manual which help you resolve this issue you're having.

4. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

check that the chimney inside the boiler is not obstructed - mine was 95% blocked by a wasp nest of mud

5. alkaisco

alkaisco New Member

thanks but i'm really not familiar with the components .. where do i find the boiler, and where do i find the chimney .. wait .. is the end of the chimney at the top of the cylinder where i can feel hot air escaping (when it's working) ? .. also, is it possible that the chimney may be blocked given that the fridge operates very quite while plugged into 120v ?

6. alkaisco

alkaisco New Member

quite well while

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

the fridge is very quiet on any energy source, this is an absorption fridge not a compressor.

8. alkaisco

alkaisco New Member

wow .. thanks for the info and that link !! (so hard to find service manuals) .. i will definitely check these things out ..

9. Anthony Hitchings

boiler the is big round thing on the right
    external chimney is above it

u need to read some prior posts and especially watch some videos, sounds like you lack most of the needed knowledge

10. Anthony Hitchings

p.s

The wires from 12V and 120V, after leaving the control switches, go to the boiler, the two separate heating elements wrap around the boiler

11. alkaisco

alkaisco New Member

ok thanks .. and yes, you're right i'm a newbie and do lack some basic knowledge.. i do have a couple of questions though .. #1 is is there a way to *search* for prior posts, or can i just browse ? #2 can you recommend a video or videos and/or just the search terms if for example i need to search youtube