Pimp My Pop-up 2001 Coleman Mesa edition

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Shadow-D, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Shadow-D

Shadow-D New Member

Hello everyone and welcome to our edition of Pimp My Pop-Up!
    In this thread we will be discussing the rebuild / restoration of our 2001 Coleman Mesa that I recently bought. There was a lot of work done to the camper but there is still a lot more that needs to be done. This is going to be a work in progress and we plan to use it in September so the first round of projects need to be done right away.
    The first round of repairs is as follows...

1) Rebuild front storage box. I've been reading that this is a very common repair needed. The PO already did some of the work but only did a portion of the front. I will need to rebuild the entire thing to do it right.

2) During deconstruction of the front box I found the 120v wiring was damaged and had bare copper showing in several spots so that is now on the list. This is also something I will work on when we get back in September.

3) re wire all of the running and brake lights and upgrade to LEDs

4) Patch canvas as a temporary fix, we plan to replace the whole canvas this winter / spring.

The PO had already done quite a bit of work on this camper and they did a nice job but I've noticed a few issues that should be addressed. At this point the plan will be to rebuild the camper this winter / spring.

We started the deconstruction process last night and will continue to work on it today. DW has been taking photos and will continue to photograph the progress when she isn't helping. I will update this thread tonight with all the photos.

Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I've had part of #3 on my list for some five or six years now. All I need to do is buy LED bulbs, but never seem to get around to it.

Our storage box needs rebuilt, but probably never going to do it since it's holding up.

If you buy new canvas, Bear Creek is cheaper in the winter time. We just got ours this year.

Looking forward to photos!

3. Shadow-D

Shadow-D New Member

As far as the LEDs go, I bought a set of marker lights off eBay for $54 w/free shipping. You can search "11 PC COLEMAN FLEETWOOD POPUP CAMPER TRAILER LED UPGRADE CLEARANCE MARKER LIGHTS" and find them. I'll post pics and experience when I get them and do the actual install. You'll need to take both the front and rear ABS panels off so I would recommend doing that when you are doing rot repair, just makes it easy.

I did manage to get some work done on the box yesterday. We spent most of the day pulling up the new floor the PO installed after the partial repair... At least he used real strong glue... His plywood started under the dinette and went all the way forward to the front of the box so that was cut to the front edge of the camper and the other "box end" was removed. Once I was down to the frame I used a wire wheel and cleaned most of the rust off and sprayed it with Rust-Oleum to protect it. Now it was time to go to Lowe's for the plywood.
    One thing I highly recommend, if you don't have the proper tools to work with full sheets of plywood, have Lowe's make the long cuts on their panel saw then you can make the smaller and trim cuts easily and safely. I've read on one of the forums that some people don't like to use Pressure Treated ply due to the added weight so I opted for the standard BC ply and bought a few cans of spray on truck bed liner to protect it. I'm also going to use this on the outside wood surfaces of the entire box and any ware water could get to the wood.
    The floor is 15/32" ply and the sides and top are 1/2" ply. Hardest part I'm going to have is I only have the original front wall and the hot water side wall for templates. I'm planning to use the HW side as a general outline for the storage door side and use the plastic panel as a template for the door. The top on the other hand... Not totally sure how to do that. I have an idea that I'm kinda thinking about going with but I need to think it thru before I commit. If any of you who have already done this rebuild can offer advice, please chime in here. I would really appreciate it.

We are always looking to save money so I will definitely look into their pricing in the off season, We are already looking at them anyway :) How is the quality and fit?

Pictures will be updated soon, DW still has the camera and we didn't get to pulling them off the camera last night.

Orchid likes this.
  4. Shadow-D

Shadow-D New Member

5. Shadow-D

Shadow-D New Member

Hello again folks. I know it's been almost a week since I last posted so I figured it was time for an update...
    *UPDATE*
    Not much to update this week. The new tail lights came in the other day and the marker lights should be here tomorrow. I have a friend coming over Saturday to give me a hand with the storage box rebuild (he's bringing better tools LOL). I've been looking for the plastic double C channel that goes between the front box floor and the main floor but have not had any luck. I guess I can put it in this winter when I replace the main floor. I got the MEK and ABS pellets for the ABS repairs, that might not get done this weekend. As usual, we will get as many pictures as we can and add them to the folder listed above.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Wow ,lots of work done and too do. Im watching and if can offer advice will. But you did way more then i have allready. What abs repairs are you doing?

7. Shadow-D

Shadow-D New Member

Thanks... I'm probably going to need all the help I can get... The ABS front, rear and storage top and sides all need repair.
    I am planning to get most of the woodwork done tomorrow (as long as it doesn't rain too much).

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Oldshirt

Oldshirt Member

Wow! Looking forward to seeing you in your new show next season!!! Awesome.

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

10. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

I'm wondering if you could use to T strips, one on top and one on the bottom (upside down T) instead of the double C channel, and caulk the "bleep" out of it?
    Thinking it's not really structural and more to kind of join the two floors together.
    Idk, just my two cents for what it's worth.

11. Shadow-D

Shadow-D New Member

Well folks, today I had a chance to try to work on this myself as my buddy that said he was going to help and I was expecting had something come up and didn't show. So today was 2 steps forward and 2.5 steps back. The biggest problem I'm having is I don't have much of the original box to work with, like I've mentioned before, I've only got the front and road side wood walls. I need the correct measurements for the camper front / storage box rear wall and the top. I could also use some good pictures of the original camper front / storage box back wall (the point where the box starts and the camper ends). In my haste, I thought I was doing the right thing by trimming the floor so that the front plastic cover would fit without cracking. Unfortunately I took too much off and now I have to make a repair patch to fix it.
    I was alone today so I didn't get any pics but to be honest, I will be redoing what I did today again tomorrow, with help. DW is not working tomorrow so maybe I can get her to take more pics and the next short video...
    Now on to my photo searching...

LED update: The marker lights got here yesterday and they all seem to be exactly what i need. The tail lights i got are a bit smaller than the originals but I am thinking about using white strips and adding backup lights to fill the gap (we have a very dark driveway with obstacles).

SJM9911, From what I've been able to tell, my roof may have been replaced as I haven't seen any issues with it yet.
    HappyTraevler, I'd thought of that but I think I may have found what I was looking for on that Coleman Popup Parts site. We placed a large order last night and I added what I found to the order...

HappyTraveler likes this.
  12. Shadow-D

Shadow-D New Member

Well it's been a wile since I last updated... After an exhausted search, I managed to find all the information I was looking for. Now that I'm armed with the correct info I can change what I started and fix the mistakes I and the PO had made.
    I work a strange schedule that rotates weeks so my time is limited to say the least. That coupled with the fact that I work the overnight shift makes it difficult to say the least. That said, I'm planning to go take new measurements tomorrow and hopefully cut new wood and maybe be able to reuse what I've already cut. Ii didn't get any usable pictures last time we worked on it but I guess that fine as what we did was wrong and will be redone...
    Until the next update...

13. Shadow-D

Shadow-D New Member

So this weekend was a disappointment but a lot of work was done. My buddy actually showed up to give me a hand but sometimes he tends to dig his feet in and won't listen. He saw that one wire that I was planning to replace during this phase of the project and decided that nothing else was going to happen until ALL the 120v wiring was replaced. I told him that was a big part of phase two but nope not good enough. I felt comfortable enough letting it go for now but did want to replace the chewed wire but now all the wiring has been replaced, not happy how some of it was run but I guess that can be changed during phase two when everything is open. So this weekend consisted of removal of the dinette and the cabinet and side wall between the firewall and door, running wires and started to close things up. I also did manage to run new running / stoplight wires and get that setup for pulling off the back panel and repairing the cracks and installing new LED lights. I cut and replaced the firewall with a sheet of 1/2 ply and secured the box floor to the frame. Both days we had to cut the work short due to strong thunder storms rolling through. Something happened to my camera so I wasn't able to get any good pics except this one. This pic is Saturday Afternoon... Lets just hope we can get this buttoned up in time to take our week long trip starting September 8. I've mentioned before that I work a rotating schedule and only have 1 more weekend to finish all of this...

Attached Files:

14. Shadow-D

Shadow-D New Member

Well after having a disappointing weekend last weekend (the last weekend I had off) I spent an afternoon re measuring everything and drawing out the cuts needed for the hot water heater and the door. My Father offered to make the cuts so I agreed, he needs a project so he has something to do from time to time. So with the holiday mixed in I was able to finish 99% of everything needed to use the popup this upcoming weekend. I still have a few things that need to be finished and a few other things that I will need to redo as I made some mistakes in my haste to get this ready in time. During this work, I found a bunch of things that need to be fixed but should be ok for this trip.
    For those of you that want to see pictures, I'm sorry but I just didn't think about taking pictures and DW was working and she is the real photographer. With that said I do have a couple to share...
    IMG_20190803_162330266.jpg IMG_20190803_162340311.jpg This is the only "template" I had to work with.
    IMG_20190902_125546064.jpg This was as we were trying to square up the wall and install the dinette

IMG_20190902_145305569_HDR.jpg This was the only "finished" pic I took. Yes the front bed is now installed and not a minute too soon. Within 5 minutes after getting the bed in the sky opened up and we had a very strong thunderstorm roll through. Good thing because I found a couple of leaks that would have sucked during our trip.
    IMG_20190902_161648030.jpg And last... We had a visitor stop by and inspect the progress. This is the first garter snake I've seen in 15 years...

There will be another thread posted this winter and it will be phase 2 of this rebuild. First thing we need to do is get rid of a bunch of clutter in the garage and install a few cameras so I can have a few videos i can screenshot for pics. I know DW will be taking a lot of photos of our trip and I'll make sure we get a bunch of this thing in use :)