Pine Sap

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by nfisherman, Oct 25, 2015.

1. nfisherman

nfisherman Member

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good product or method to clean pine sap from vinyl popup fabric?

Thanks.

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I would use good old PINE SOL.

3. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

4. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

We have used rubbing alcohol, and alcohol wipes. A bit of elbow grease, but it works. Have to do my roof before we pack her away for the winter.

5. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Well-Known Member

So rubbing alcohol is safe on vinyl tops? Having the same issue but with cypress sap and debris.

6. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

Second the rubbing alcohol. I use it on the paint on my car, my clothes, etc.

Jerry in MA

7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

On vinyl; I have used turpentine and then wash again with water and dawn to clean off the turpentine residue.

8. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

You can use a few things. Wd-40, works well On sap. It is however a patrolium disolate. Vinyl is a patrolium product. So wash it off with a good degreasing soap after like dawn dish soap. Another is mineral spirits. I used that to remove old caulking from my roof on the Coleman. I would stay away from alcohol, it removes all the oils and will eventually crack it, pine sol will clean it nice but leave the sap. Another thing you could use is silicone lubricant. It will also be good for the vinyls. If you are all homeopathic and such, peanut butter or salad oil works well too. Be careful with solvents that desolve the sap. It will also desolve vinyl. Oils like mineral spirits, vegetable and peanut, lessen the sticky properties of the sap and allow it to be removed. Sort of like gum in your kids hair. Wd40 etc break down the sap and allows removal. silicone is actually the active ingredient in Protectants like Armorall. But, use of that will eventually destroy plastics and vinyls over time.

Good luck

9. nfisherman

nfisherman Member

Thanks, all. We had a beautiful day here and I finally had some time to clean and winterize the PUP. I took jnc's suggestion because I happened to have some Pine Sol in the house. It worked like a charm. I mixed about a cup of Pine Sol in a gallon of hot water and wiped the fabric, leaving a liberal amount on the rag. I let it sit a few minutes and hosed it off with fresh water. The sap is gone. The whole process took about 1/2 hour. I'll be putting my spotless PUP in the garage as soon as the sun finishes drying the fabric. ;-)

10. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Sometimes the old way is the right way. I am glad it helped. The best part is the PUP now smells pine fresh and this will help keep the mice out.