Pirateland Family Campground in Myrtle Beach

Discussion in 'South Carolina' started by wrkoutgrl1, Jun 27, 2012.

1. wrkoutgrl1

wrkoutgrl1 New Member

Just returned from our first (very) long road trip to Myrtle Beach. We stayed at Pirateland Campground on S. King Hwy., site 903. Very large campground! Cons: very close (cramped) quarters for campers, popups or otherwise... they smash you in every inch of useable space; lots of people; lots of vehicles; lots of golf carts; our site smelled of old fish a bit depending on the wind direction. Pros: lots of people to meet/make friends; friendly helpful staff; right on the beach; lots of bath houses; nice swimming pool/lazy river/puttputt golf/store/restaurant. We came in blind, and got lucky with our site... well, in evening at least, lol. we got there in the evening and our site was in nice shade, although it took some maneuvering to back into; a very helpful neighbor aided us in getting it backed up and not hitting one of the many large trees. we were in close walking distance to a clean, air conditioned bath house, and the beach was just a few more steps from that. most of the people there were in larger RV's, so we never had any wait for a shower or hot water, despite the campground being at full capacity (I think I read like 300 campsites). we were on a lake site, so could just step right outside and go fishing if we wanted (licenses were sold at the camp store, which was well stocked with most anything you would need). people were fishing for crab right near our camper, and many caught quite a few (I think 9 was the most I heard), but didnt see anyone have luck with fishing... there were tons of tiny little guppy sized things, but we never saw anyone catch any actual decent fish. because of so many people going crabbing, though, our site began to smell a little, well, fishy on a couple occasions when the wind was right. not terribly though. the beach was clean and beautiful, great for kids and building sand castles, although the waves had me a little concerned once or twice when i saw very small children near the water edge. there were 3 occasions where the bath house had an 'issue' (someone had #2 in a shower once, and twice on the toilet seat). we called and the staff had it cleaned up in minutes, literally. we had an issue with internet connection, and they had a support person come out and work on it, two times! It never really did help much, but the thought was nice and they did do their best to remedy it. Yes, I know camping isnt for internet, but we do some work online and tried to get some done, although not with much success. cell phones werent very good reception either, but thats pretty much what we expected near the ocean. there were a LOT of people driving golf carts, including some which were probably too young to drive them... I am glad we werent along the ocean road in evenings, teenagers drove nonstop back and forth with neon lights and radios blaring, I guess thats the thing for teens to do there; but after quiet time (11pm), you could not hear a PEEP.... what a pleasant surprise! We were disappointed to find that campfires are not allowed, so we ended up buying a little microwave at the local walmart. There was a wonderful breeze blowing thru every night we were there, and the temps were pleasant but a bit humid. morning arrived and we found we were in full sun, all day long... the sites all around us were mostly shaded though. I had already bought a roll of silver bubble wrap from home depot, and some large clamps... so i cut these to cover the bunk ends and it worked like a charm, all for less than $40 :) we bought a beach umbrella, and used the small sledge and wood blocks we already had, to drive it into the sand... the wind blew incessantly, and you really had to dig an umbrella in deep so it wouldnt blow away; I had also got a bunch of smaller clamps at HD and used those to clip our towels to the umbrella (dried very fast!) and our wet clothes to the line we had strung between 2 trees next to our site. We were a bit concerned about seeing so many of the confederate flags, flying over campers, on beach towels, license plates, etc. since we are a mixed race family. The neighbor who helped us park had one on his license plates! But despite the presence of these offensive flags, we didnt experience any problems. There were a handful of african american campers, and none that we spoke to had any problems either. Overall opinion: if you are a very sociable family and like meeting lots of new folks, this is a good place for you... they had a daily schedule of family activities for the entire week, adult hour in the lazy river, church services on sunday. Not a good place for anyone who isnt a decent bike rider, though, lots of traffic coming and going. If you like your privacy, though, keep driving. We drove past a state park right down the road, which had a campground that looked nice and not nearly as crowded, but we just drove past and didnt really see a lot of it. We had a lot of fun at 2nd avenue north pier, searching for (and finding a few small) shark teeth. Found out about this from a nice gentleman at Pirateland, who told us this was a good spot to search :) We drove past at least 2 other very large family campgrounds as well, and I wonder if they are similar to this; I assume so though. A few things we noticed also; lots of putt putt golf courses! IDK what thats all about, but they were on every other corner, as well as closed up pancake/waffle restaurants. We looked at 2 camper sales places, and neither had any popups or hybrids... seems to be that there are no popup camper sales places down there for some reason, that was a bit disappointing because we really want to get a newer popup with slide out or a hybrid, but want to see whats out there... it looked like there were about a few thousand RV's and 5th wheels, though! We will keep looking ;)

Old ackpacker likes this.
  2. Ebisaki

Ebisaki Member

Ahhh, the Grand Strand, land of 1,000 Putt Putt courses. The State Park you passed by was Myrtle Beach SP. Every camping space is in shade and is very nice, plus less expensive. A few more miles south and you would have seen Huntington Beach State Park, another nice place to stay. We stayed at Pirate Land once, in a tent. Most sites have 0% shade and the no fire pit was a downer. We did learn the best time to hit the pool and lazy river was when NASCAR was on, no joke, race comes on and the population in the water goes down big time. While I would suggest PirateLand to people with TT, 5th and big rigs....having a tent or PUP you need to go to one of the SPs.

3. CCRJ

CCRJ New Member

We go to pirate land on Memorial Day every year with a group of friends. As long as you stay on the north end, the sites are very tolerable with the sheltered tables and a reasonable amount of room compared to the south or inland sites. The bonus for us is that we typically go with 3 or 4 other groups so we essentially own the block of sites and just treat them as community between the group of us. Also the golf cart "parade" doesn't come up that way, so it's a little less hectic at night.

Lots for the kids to do and the staff is very friendly and we enjoy that trip every year until coming home on Memorial Day which is also the wrap up of bike week...very long drive home. Definitely the kind of place where you are more interested in parking the PUP and heading to the beach rather than expecting a nice quiet spot to hang out by your camper.

If you are looking for more low key, Huntington beach is one of my favorites. Very large wooded sites and a short trail walk to the beach which means no golf carts running you down. Much more peaceful camping and well worth a look if you head that way again.

4. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

I hate the place....and going back this weekend...Wifes family GLAMP there every Aug before school starts...so we have to run over for a few days to visit. We have always just brought a tent and roughed it. had a nice run in with the lifeguard on the beach, and could not believe it was possible to lay in a tent at night 75 yrds from the ocean and not be able to hear the surf over the din of air the A/C units running. We toured the State Park and talked about staying there for the next trip, but I'm not towing 6 hours one way to stay overnight....

BUT to give credit when its due, they have a nice collection of stuff to do, and the bathrooms are alway attended to and clean.

5. ricko

ricko Member

We stayed down the road at Ocean Lakes - similar -but we didn't feel crammed in.

We found the 'campground culture' in the area ...interesting... The whole golf car thing was a total shock to us - kind of felt like we were outsiders because we walked!

We tend to be 'destination campers' - visiting new places each trip - where others like to vacation at the same place every year.

I think a lot of folks down there buy a camper, trick it out and store it at the beach instead of buying a condo or other property. Then, just make a call and pop in four hours later for their trip. 80% of the vehicles had SC or NC tags when we were there.

To each his own, I guess

Ricko

6. Derek S

Derek S New Member

Myrtle Beach has lost it's appeal as I have grown older. As a teenager living in NC, it was my favorite destination. Now that I'm no longer in the chase for a pretty face, I prefer the Smokey Mountains, less crowded, quieter, cooler in the summer camping beside a mountain trout stream. I have family near Maggie Valley (my maternal Grandmothers home place was in Franklin, NC). Good folks still live there, but beware if you hear a banjo picking in the backwoods!

7. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

Man, I can't tolerate the whole Myrtle Beach atmosphere in the summer. However, for many, many years, we camped at Ocean Lakes for New Years and loved it. Very few people, quiet but still stuff to do for the kids - the indoor pool was great. Firework displays almost every night, just a lot of fun. But too many people in the summer. . . . . I'd probably need pharmaceutical intervention to survive! [8D]

8. Derek S

Derek S New Member

Yes, I agree! My cousin was a real estate developer and he and his family actually lived at Ocean Lakes for about ten years. There are quite a few full-time retirees there. I just turned 64. Kids are grown, but have my adult son living with us in Upstate SC. My granddaughter is there with us 4 days a week. She loves the beach, so we will make that trip soon as the weather cools down. Luckily my sister-in-law lives near Holden Beach in NC. We stay there for free, take a short drive to the beach (10 miles), cook fresh seafood, do a few shots, really laid back. Best part is no sand in the PUP! My wife is returning tomorrow from a visit (I had to work). Looking forward to our upcoming trip...

9. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

We like Ocean Lakes in the spring and fall. I havent been there in the summer since the 80s. Dont care to go either. Too hot and too crowded for my tastes.

10. mandolinpicker

mandolinpicker Active Member

Was stationed at Myrtle Beach AFB from 79-83 and stayed there till 87. Went back in the late 90s and haven't been back since. It had changed too much, and not for the better. Much preferred the Outer Banks of NC.

BillyMc likes this.
  11. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

The closing of the base was the beginning of the end for Myrtle Beach. Once it was made into an airport it became a magnet for businessmen from the NE to come play golf (and other games). Ocean Blvd. changed from a drive along the beach to high rise resorts blocking the view. I dealt with it until the SOBs torn down the Pavilion, have only been once since then. Had our first trip to OBX this year and it's on the "A" list of places for next year.

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Back when I was growing up our favorite stomping ground was pirate Land and the campground right next door to that, Lakewood (I think that was the name). We went twice a year. We had so much fun as kids there and yes the 1000 putt putts in that whole area. [:D]. It's been so long since I've been down there. I'm going to be need to get back down.

13. BillyMc

We stayed at Myrtle Beach State Park three or four years ago near Pirate Land. Extremely noisy, many people not observing quiet hours. When people finally quiet down where you can sleep you get a few hours sleep and the airliners start roaring over by daybreak. Pirate Land may be better on the late night noise makers, but you'll still be hearing the jets.

14. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We always go to LAKELAND just down from where are talking about. It is definitely less crowded. We have family living there as well and sometimes stay in one of their cabins... Always have a great time at Lakeland at Myrtle Beach. We have stayed at another cabins place just north of there and it is in line with the Myrtle Beach Airport. You can actually see the pilots when they are landing... Needless to say this was bit noisy when they reversed the runways for take off over the Ocean side haha...

I was always impressed by the sand ants there haha... They get into everything... When going back home to VA we always stop at the South of the Border park and DE ANT the trailer haha... No telling how many ants we have moved from S Carolina to N Carolina haha

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

jmkay1 likes this.
  15. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I believe you mean Lakewood

16. BillyMc

We made a last minute glamping trip to Pirateland Myrtle beach on Mother's Day weekend. In the words of my 10 year old grandson, "Papa, this isn't really camping, but it is kinda fun." If RV resorting is your thing it's a good choice. While not really my thing, I did enjoy myself.