Pittsburgh RV show

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by bandc12, Jan 11, 2014.

1. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

Went to the Pittsburgh RV show today and have to say I was a little disappointed. In the past there have been a limited number of pop ups. Generally about 10 to 15. This year there were 5, 3 Jayco models 1 A Liner and 1 of another brand I hadn't heard of before. Very disappointed there were no Somersets. There were a decent number of Hybrids, and a surprising amount of used motor homes... Not the class C but the Ford and Chevy ones with the bunk above the cab. However.. when it is time to upgrade I think we are definitely going to get a Jayco 1007 or 1207!

2. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

I hear you, the popups are rarely seen at those shows big rigs equals big money I guess.... I would vote for more popups and less leaf gutter and such companys/

3. skiball

skiball New Member

DW couldn't make up her mind weather or not she wanted to go so we stayed at home. Busy tomorrow so I guess no RV Show this year. I don't like driveng anywhere near Pittsburgh anyway.

4. MRSKCkamp

MRSKCkamp New Member

DH and I are going to the camper/RV show in Kansas City next week, I sure hope it has more pop ups than 5.

5. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

I was more than a little disappointed... bandc12 you are correct... I kept walking around expecting to find a "pup" section... nope not gonna happen. I was also expecting to see camping supplies, chairs, lights, awning, grills, etc... nothing. I understand to make the show profitable they sell space to just about any business, but I wasn't expecting to see was home remodeling, windows, patios, financial services, etc. I was really looking forward to seeing camping supplies and get some new ideas...

The only good thing that came out of it was the wife and I had an opportunity to go out and have a nice dinner.

6. sgt7546

sgt7546 New Member

We are going tomorrow. I love to hate the shows. After about 3 rows you get the gist of it all. But I enjoy walking the campground row and talking to the various owners that I've got to know through the years.

• Sent from my screen to yours.

7. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

I knew there wouldn't be a pop up section once me made it through 5 or 6 isles... as it is set up by dealership. I guess they just don't want to waste the space on a measly $7k pop up when they can use it for a $20k hybrid. I did purchase a set of Tupperware salt and pepper shakers. Been looking for a cheap version for years.. and they end up being just that. We did also enjoy entering a few "contests" for a free weekend or week of camping.. I get that its not free and my junk mail will increase but free camping is free camping.. I think. And we had a great breakfast at a great little bakery in the strip!

8. sgt7546

sgt7546 New Member

We walked through the show last night. I'm not really with the latest models. But we did talk to a few CG's we plan to visit this year including Meadeville Koa ( Brookdale), Rose Point, Mountain Pines, Farma, and Austin Lake.

9. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

if you decide to go to brookville, stop over cooks forest we are havinga small rally there june 27th-29th ... rose point is nice , moutain pines not soo much if i recall, never been to farma before, but heard good reviews about it, and i go to austin lake alot, alittle more primitive .. i usually go in the back section which i perfer to boondock at there!

10. billydick

billydick New Member

I have been to the first three you mention. I grew up in Meadville and my Mom's cousin owned the Meadville KOA when it was Brookdale in the 70's and 80's. I camped there many times as a kid. The ponds there were originally created to raise minnows for bait to sell to fishermen going to the newly created Pymatuning lake. Back then there was at least 10 seperate ponds. We went there again about 4 or 5 years ago and it has completely changed. Used to be much more wooded. It is still very nice though.

Went to Rose Point for the very first time in a pop up and the first time with our kids about 11 years ago. Nice campground.

We go to Mountain Pines at least once per year since my wife's uncle has a permanant spot there. Not my favorite place but the wife and kids like it since there are two pools (indoor and outdoor) and there are a lot of activities.

And just to stay on topic, I am going to the Pittsburgh RV Show tomorrow. I have never been to it before.

11. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

my mistake, i got campgrounds mixed up! i was thinking Brookville, off of route 80 not brookdale in Meadville. i never stayed there however i have went to sandy lake vacationland before and liked that. just so happened, i was driving through that area only last night, took route 173 to 27 then route 8 back trough oil city, nice country up there!

12. sgt7546

sgt7546 New Member

I agree with both of your assessments of campgrounds. Agree about Pines, but the kids love the huge pool. I moved on from pop-up to a TT, but long for the days of a Pop again

13. sgt7546

sgt7546 New Member

I'm thinking Pines for our first trip. The indoor pool will be open so the kids can swim and we can camp mid April.

14. CANTget RIGHT

CANTget RIGHT New Member

IM SURPRISED THAT THERE WASNT ANY SOMERSETS BEING THEY ARE LOCATED ON ABOUT 60 MILES AWAY.

15. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

They do not have any "local" dealers as far as I know. The dealer finder was not working at there site a few minutes ago.
    The closest to Pittsburgh the last time I checked was one out in Ohio somewhere and Beckleys in Thurmont MD.