Pity party, please

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by sespe, Nov 25, 2015.

1. sespe

sespe Member

We have been planning for a month for the Thanksgiving camping trip. This time was Borrego Springs, and the family was to attend. You have seen posts from me all over this place getting ready for the trip.

Yesterday morning Kid 1 got sick, 102 fever, stayed home from school. This morning, Kid 2 had 100 fever. There was some emesis involved during the night. So the decision was made to scrub the mission, forfeiting the campground deposit.

Of course, 12 hours later, one of them is jumping around and the second is eating food again. On the other hand, I did miss this traffic today (starting at the left, trying to make it to the right):

[​IMG]

2. cyclop5

cyclop5 Member

Coming from one who's whole family is sick this week (DD has strep - DW and I just the "common cold"), I can say that truly sucks. My DD is the same way - down with whatever illness one day, and back to life the next. Wife and I - not so much.

Hopefully you can either reschedule, or make it for Christmas instead. :)

3. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

You did the right thing and that is what is important.
    Young'uns do seem to recover fast but you'd hate for them to have a re-laps on the road away from home and their comfort zone.

I have a daughter who drags her kids out when they are sick as if nothing is wrong... frosts me to no end.

There will be other camping trips, glad everyone is bouncing back.

4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Nothing worse then going camping and being sick! You made the right decision to stay home! Besides the traffic report looks sickening!!! (No pun intended)

5. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about your scrapped camping trip, I'm sure you were looking forward to it. Maybe you can do one night of camp driveway? Now that the kids are feeling better?

6. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

There is still 3 or 4 days left in the weekend. Maybe you can salvage something out of it.

7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Hey, NASA has scrubbed missions that had more time and money than you invested.
    :) Just kidding, hope the little ones feel better. There are other trips.

8. bigdad

bigdad Well-Known Member

Yep when the kids were small i had to call of a trip 24 hour later fine so the next weekend we went camping.

9. blondedriver

blondedriver Member

I planed on spending the Weekend at the lake, However the love of Texas Ice storms left me home. November has been a month for the Texas panhandle weather

10. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

I am sorry, and I totally feel your pain. We missed our fall foliage trip because I broke my ankle. We are praying that I will be good to go for our Christmas beach trip. I hope everyone gets well soon. We are so grateful for all of our blessings, including the trials that refine us. We are blessed beyond comprehension.

11. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Tis the season, with all the ups and downs of the weather. Plus kids in school are germ magnets anyway, lots of parents send their kids to school sick or not which is not good for the rest of the class or the parents, You probably did the best thing tho because if they needed medical attention it is sometime hard on the road especially if they need to be admitted. there is always another time to go camping once everyone is hale and hearty..

12. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Happens with little ones . Hopefully it was a big deposit. Some private campground take the whole amout here if cancelled with less that 1 week notice. We once did do this and lost close to 300 bucks. I will never return to that campground.

13. sespe

sespe Member

Actually, they only kept 1 night. And, they keep it "on deposit" - if we ever camp there again, it counts as our first-night deposit. I thought that was nice of them.

Time to plan the next one...

14. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

I meant not a big deposit . oops.
    Living in the north east especially near cape code nothing is cheap.

15. fletcher4pa

fletcher4pa Member

Wow, that was really nice of them. Bet they've been parents too. You should toot their horn a bit and bring them in some extra business for being such decent people.
    Kathy

16. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Okay, I may need to join this party.
    We missed our wedding anniversary "leaf" trip in October because of my broken ankle. We have endured the last 11 weeks, dreaming of our time at the beach this CHristmas. Now the weather forecasts show rain the entire week. [:(]

We are hoping that it will change. We will not go if we are going to be sopped-in the whole time. It looks like most of the Southeast is in for wet season.

We are still blessed beyond measure.