placement of level bubbles ????

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by NKYCampers, Apr 5, 2017.

1. NKYCampers

NKYCampers New Member

we just bought a new 2018 rockwood 1910 ESP. It dose not have any bubble levels on it. i have purchased some to put on. just looking for suggestions for placement.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

First you have to level the trailer before sticking the levels on anywhere, once level you have decide if you want the levels on the body for easy viewing or down on the frame for harder viewing..

3. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

I just put new levels on my Aliner yesterday. As stated above, I leveled the trailer first, leveling at the fridge inside since the fridge should be as level as possible to function properly.

After the trailer was level I opted to put both levels up front by the hitch. They both can be seen easily from there and that's where I do the front/back leveling. I put the side to side level on the front of the trailer for now, but since I use a BAL leveler, if I can find a spot near each wheel well (inside rear bumper perhaps) where I can put a side to side level, l'll buy another pair of levels so I can adjust the BAL without getting up and checking the front when I am by myself.

4. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

I put one on the side of the tongue that I use for setting front-to-back level. Then I added one on the rear outside wall for setting side-to-side level. I did set trailer to level using a 3' construction level in multiple directions on the floor, and then did my best to stick the small levels as close to level as possible.

It works well enough, my routine is to park, and crank front support to level. Then place BAL leveler and adjust side to side. I do have to have assistant or keep going back to check bubble when cranking the BAL, but that isn't too big of a deal with our small trailer.

Then revisit and adjust the front to back again, and I'm set.

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I am so indecisive about this. I have owned two little levels since our last camper many years ago. Never could decide where to put them on that. Still haven't decided where to put them on this one either. Still camping with a 3' level in the cargo. [:I]

6. xZoomerZx

xZoomerZx Active Member

Let me throw out a suggestion - levels will work best and will be most accurate when they are on the axis they are measuring. For longitudinal leveling put it over the axle or between the axles on a tandem rig. For latitude (side to side) place it on the centerline (the coupler) either in the front or on the rear of the box.
    You can of course put them anywhere convenient , such as the front streetside corner, but the farther from the axis the less reactive (slow) they are. YMMV

7. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Zoomer has it right. That is the best, most accurate location to put the levels. Using them elsewhere will yield quite a bit of difference depending. If fact there was a discussion on another thread that proposed a phone app for leveling. Like just laying it on your counter top was good enough. Nope. I'd imagine anyone with vertigo would know right off how good that would work.

Go with the center lines. It won't fail you....

8. NKYCampers

NKYCampers New Member

Thank you for the advice. My exact thought was to use a " T " level on the coupler and one above each wheel well, and just since i already have them one on each side of the rear bumper.Over kill ??? Probably.

9. ~erik~

~erik~ Active Member

Acculevel at front center of camper.
    [​IMG]
    Originally mounted about 4" lower but had trouble seeing it out of rear window of Volvo wagon so had to mount it on aluminum straps to raise it. Big level is for side to side, small level above it is for adjusting jack to level front to back. Each division on large level equates to about one 2"X8" board under wheel to level camper.

10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Oh my goodness, I think I will finally install my levels! Only took a decade, but now I know where to put them. [:D]

xZoomerZx likes this.
  11. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

The dealer put mine on before we picked it up. One right on the front of the camper on the other side of the propane tanks, so that is easy to see, and the other is on the passenger side of the camper, front corner by the latch, so also, easy to get around to peek at. Normally my wife is standing there for that part and says "when" and we are good to go!

12. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

I don't believe you need to install the bubbles at the axis you are leveling, you just need to make sure the trailer is level by doing the initial level at the axis. Once you have leveled the trailer at the axis, install the small attachable bubble levels where ever is convenient for you. Since their bubbles are set dependent upon the actual level of the trailer at time time of install, that should not change and should be the target level you are aiming for when setting up the trailer.

Only thing I advise is to not rely on the two-sided tape that most come with for attachment. Good for the initial attachment, but I highly recommend using some small screws to retain the levels in the exact spot. Over time the tape gets "mushy" and the bubble level slips a bit. One reason why mounted to the frame; however, I did install a large backup level on the trailer's roof to view through the rear view mirror.
    These levels were originally installed with only the two-sided tape, within a year, they started to slip and twist on the tape. Also, the levels also faded so I got some non-fade levels from Amazon and mounted with screws.
    Front-to-back
    [​IMG]

Side-to-side
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Fless likes this.
  13. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

I still bring my carpenters level just in case my stick on's fall off.

14. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

If you have an android smart phone there is a very accurate level app. And I'm sure there is one for Apple and Microsoft too.

Fless likes this.
  15. NKYCampers

NKYCampers New Member

This is where I decided to put them. IMG_0953.JPG
    With a "T" level on the coupler.

16. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

I use this for my leveling. Keep it in the glove box of the TV or in a drawer in the camper, and take it out when needed. I set it on the tongue, and once level there, I double check inside with the stove and fridge.

[​IMG]

Fless likes this.
  17. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Only once, we level our trailer in the drive with long levels on the floor. Then lower the roof and close it up for travel with out removing the stabs or touching the tongue jack. . Then we attach the sick on levels. One side to side one one front to back. This way we know when the floor is level when its closed. We pull into a campsite and level the camper before we pop it up. Side to Side using block and front to back with the tongue jack.

18. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I have a 4" level stuck on the front exterior wall. I can see it from my truck. I can watch the bubble as I pull up on my Anderson levelers. I have another on the side above the axle to do the end to end leveling with the tongue jack.

19. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

The stick on levels we have. It works out one line is equal to one lego block height. Works out nice; DW after guiding me in, reads the level and builds up the blocks and tells me when to stop on top of them. She loves it.

Then when jacking up the camper, I let her do it. Did I forget to mention we have an electric jack. lol.

20. Fless

Fless Active Member

^^^^^^^THIS

The item that is most dependent on level is the fridge, so before settling on what "level" is, check it right in front of the fridge.

Another easy way to level is to use a bubble level app on your smartphone, typically on the cabin floor near the fridge.