Planning a trip to Gatlinburg

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by joegib1980, Jul 2, 2018.

1. joegib1980

joegib1980 Member

It's been awhile since I posted, but we've made 3 trips so far. Twin Dikes at Sam Rayburn, TX, San Augustine Park at Sam Rayburn, TX, and Sam Houston Jones State Park in Moss Bluff, LA. After pulling with my little 15 year old Tacoma, I was ready for a more capable towing vehicle. The Taco' pulled fine, but for longer trips, I wouldn't have trusted it. So, I now have a 2018 Toyota Tundra!

We're planning a trip to Gatlinburg in mid-October for our 15th anniversary. My wife has been dying to go, and Hurricane Harvey cancelled our plans for last year. So, this will be our first long trip with the pop up! We're looking at 1700 miles round trip. We're staying at Greenbriar Campground, just 6 or 7 miles outside of Gatlinburg.

Any pointers or tips from anyone on taking a long trip like this? I don't want any incidents that would ruin the trip!

Grizzly_Wayne and pudge like this.
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Sounds like ya'll are putting miles on the Unit and TV'S, congrats on the new Tundra, and it seems like ya'll are ready to do some serious traveling and camping now.
    Good Luck and Keep on Camping

3. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

I can give you a few tips on Gatlinburg. I'm staying at a campground very close to the one you're staying at. Congrats on your new Tacoma.

4. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

I would like to hear the tips too-I’ll be staying at Greenbriar in Oct! Please post about your trip when you get back, I’d love to hear about it!!

5. tarynerwin

tarynerwin New Member

We live in Knoxville and Greenbrier is one of our favorite campgrounds in the area. It is a very well kept campground and sits perfectly surrounded by lots of trees and a beautiful river. In the warmer months, the river is ideal for tubing. October will be gorgeous with the changing leaves. There are nice hiking trails as well as horseback trail riding in the area. I hope you enjoy your stay!

6. joegib1980

joegib1980 Member

I'm all ears, or eyes ;) My wife has been several times, but it's been since before we were married. She's been reading everything she can get her hands on. I think we're mostly going to hike and see some of the waterfalls in the area. We may venture into Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge for a couple of days, but we're more of the adventuresome, low-cost types.

Last time I went I was 12. That's been 26 years ago.

7. joegib1980

joegib1980 Member

What dates? We'll be there Oct 13-19.

8. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

We will be there Oct 4-7. We will just miss you! I’ll be sure to post about my trip too-maybe it can help with your stay-I have 3 sons and they would much rather hike than be in town ;)

9. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

What are some hikes you can recommend?

10. joegib1980

joegib1980 Member

Same here. There is so much beauty to see rather than blowing it all on tourist traps.

RDWRER likes this.
  11. joegib1980

joegib1980 Member

Here's a list my wife has put together:

Laurel Falls, Grotto Falls, Cataract Falls, Fighting Creek Nature Trail. These are all under 3 miles each. Mingo Falls and Soco Falls are in the Cherokee area. There are others near Bryson City near Deep Creek Campground. There are many others that are over our 3 mile limitation with the kids. Then there is Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail, and at least one waterfall on the way to Cades Cove that you can see from the car. I don't have any first-hand knowledge of these, but we're planning on hitting most if not all of these during our trip.

RDWRER likes this.
  12. jumpoff

joegib1980 said.." but we're more of the adventuresome, low-cost types." That would describe me and my spouse as well. We're going to hike that area around Greenbrier pretty extensively. There is a guy named Mike Maples whose family was from the Greenbrier area before GSMNP was a national park. He has amazing youtube video's and has written several books. Two of which I have. He is referred to as a "Mountain Jedi". He hikes on and off trail and knows the location of all the homestead remains and all the cemeteries which are still in the park. If you get a chance hook up online to some of his stuff, he's really knowledgeable about the area you're going to.

13. joegib1980

joegib1980 Member

Wow, that sounds interesting

14. jumpoff

Plan your trips through the town of Gatlinburg itself strategically., especially the time of year you are going. Early in the morning is best. Cades Cove is definitely worth seeing but the traffic there can be pretty bad. Plan that trip so you're at the gates when it opens.

WVhillbilly likes this.
  15. joegib1980

joegib1980 Member

Thanks!

16. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

If you are up for a strenuous hike, the Ramsey Cascades trailhead is just a few miles from Greenbrier campground and is one of my favorite waterfalls in the park. It’s an 8 mile round trip.

This is my go-to website for hiking trails in the Smokies.

http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com

My other personal favorites are Alum Cave, Chimney Tops, Laurel Falls, Grotto Falls... There is a decent little waterfall on the Porters Creek Trail that also takes off the Greenbrier. It’s 4 miles and is a moderate hike.

jumpoff likes this.
  17. jumpoff

Chimney Tops was probably one of my top favorites. Have you been there since the fire? I can't get myself to go back there yet.

18. Harrelldjr

Harrelldjr Member

Baskins Creek Falls, Hen Wallow Falls, and Mouse Creek Falls are other shortish waterfall hikes that you might want to consider. Especially if you want to get away from the crowds for a bit.

jumpoff likes this.
  19. jumpoff

"Especially if you want to get away from the crowds for a bit."... Those really popular trails like Alum Cave are almost like interstate highways in the summer and fall., just chocked with people.

20. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We went to Gatlinburg in October of 2016 and it was a great trip. But, be aware of traffic that time of year. Lots of folks are there for the autumn colors (Tree Peepers). Traffic can be slow.

If in Gatlinburg itself make sure to stop in Ole Smokey Distilleries if you like Moonshine!

Also, there is a good restaurant called "No Way Jose’s Mexican Cantina". They have good food. But they can get busy.

In Pigeon Forge there is a Lodge factory outlet!