Planning for '17

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by kitphantom, Nov 28, 2016.

1. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

So far we're planning a month at John Gurney in Hart, Mi. soon as school lets out. Thought about going seasonal but I didn't want to get tied down as I like to try different places.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@GaslofEscape - If you're coming from Pryce of Zion, depending on the amount of time you'll have to spare, you could camp at North Rim itself, DeMotte not too far outside, or Jacob Lake. It's 220 miles according to the NPS from North to South Rim. We prefer to camp at North Rim itself, since it makes it easy to get to the rim, also easy for DH to hike or bike from camp instead of me being shuttle driver. I don't mind that, but it's easier to not have to meet at specified times -e.g. he cut short hi bike trip this year, so was back to camp a couple of hours earlier than planned. However, we have camped at DeMotte and done fine, our friends prefer it. I drove to North Rim when I was as Jacob Lake for the Quad-State Rally this year.

I've added the AZ Spring Rally to my schedule, at the end of March. Since I'd been planning on a trip in April to visit friends in Tucson, I'll probably combine the two trips.

3. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Already booked one weekend in May, on the schedule for 5 or 6 days in June (Michigan Rally) and at least one weekend in April, but we won't need ressies for that one. The rest of the summer is a ?. (we want a week in the UP, but her vacation time is pretty limited) [CP]

4. Jughed

Jughed Member

-Annual week on lake Strom Thurmond (Clarks Hill) is booked. 4 sites, 6 couples, 3 boats...

-Will have some spur of the moment trips pop up.

-Looking at a semi big trip, 2 weeks either North or South of SC. Possibly Niagara & into Canada with the kids, or drop the kids off with grand parents in Florida, load up our tent & hook up the boat and spend a week in the Keys.

5. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

Looking forward to driving the 2200-miles from Gloucester Virginia (north across the river from Yorktown) to Yellowstone. Our first trip there. Going to be taking the grandkids. Planning to follow the Google maps suggestion which avoids tolls and interstates. We're going to take enough time to see the sights - fossils, large balls of twine, best milk shake, largest beer. . . . We'll be in Grant Village from June 22 until June 30th. No rush to get back home and we'll see where the days take us.
    ---I really enjoyed the information from other Users and I've incorporated their suggestions into our trip. Thanks everyone!

6. kitphantom

I reserved a campsite at Catalina SP, following the AZ Spring Rally weekend, it worked well with our friends' schedule. (The site at Patagonia SP is the first back-in site that I'll have done solo in 2+ years, I reserved a pull-though that's 145' long at Catalina.) This will likely be the first trip of the year, so far there are 4 planned, with another one likely in the fall.

As I tallied current number of camping nights planned (38 or 39), I realized that our original plans for our August trip included two nights on the road at the beginning and end. Looking at maps, I think we can do the trip with one night, so we may stay an extra day at our first base camp. At the end of the trip, it will not be a bad thing if we decide to arrive home on Saturday.

@XKPin - make sure to spend enough time in Grand Teton NP. While we're opting to stay in Grant Village in August, we've actually spent more time in the Tetons on our two previous visits.

7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Received an email from Kansas State Parks that reservations for 2017 would open at noon on Dec. 16. So I went ahead and made reservations for July 4 at Eisenhower State Park at Melvern Lake. Got a primo spot right on the water. [:)C]

8. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member

Same problem here. Two kids in sports and won't know their schedules until the sports season starts. Usually means I get 3-4 camps a year. I so envy those who can plan this far in advance.

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

So far only 3 trips planned:

The first week of February at Fort Wilderness
    Last weekend of February for Florida PUP rally
    A long weekend mid-March

Unfortunately, I have 3 surgeries planned for next year and not sure about the recovery time of the two knee replacements. I'm a hard worker and very pain tolerant, so hoping those things make recovery faster. The 3rd surgery I've had before I know I can recover very quickly.

Really praying to be pain free this time next year, and have a full dance card for 2018 planned.

10. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Around Lake Michigan is a go. 3 nights Peninsula state park WI (Door County). 4 nights Wilderness state park MI with day trips to Tahquamenon Falls and Mackinaw Island and 2 nights ? Reservation window not open yet.

Now I'll start working on long weekends. :)

2018 I'm going to try to go west, and 2019 Disney Fort Wilderness! Weeee I hove my pop up!

11. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

That's great Nature... I'm very happy for you.

12. Natureangel

Hove??? Love!!!

Thanks Jumpoff!

13. kitphantom

We're slowly making progress on reservations and planning details for our trips.

I'm still waiting to hear if the Quad-State Rally in June is a go and if so, which weekend it will happen.
    We made reservations yesterday for our July trip to CO, which will include the Rally.

For the most part, I have about as many trips as is possible planned until the end of August. If one of my friends decides not to go to Tucson with me next month, I'd like to camp, but being Snowbird Season makes it unlikely I would find a site.

14. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

We had a snow day from school last week so I got most of my reservations made for the big bucket list items:
    Moab
    Yellowstone
    Mueller SP
    Mt Rushmore

The rest will be local trips depending on the mood and weather but hoping to make Grand Junction and Mesa Verde/Chaco Canyon this fall. DW hasn't been to Grand Canyon yet so I'm planning that for next year but who knows...
    This camping thing is addictive [:D]

15. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Planning for 2017 is so much in the air due to DW health and her ability to work. Would like to visit the SW West and even coastal SoCal.

16. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

So far, I've made plans for the following:

May:
    3 NTS Ontario Kickoff to Summer Rally
    2 NTS Taughannock Falls SP NY
    5 NTS Schodack SP NY
    June:
    5 NTS Maryland Rally--with 1 NT layover on way down
    5 NTS NEPA Rally in PA--on the return trip from the Maryland Rally
    3 NTS Ontario Summer Rally
    July: 4 NTS CT Rally--with a 1 NT layover to & from CT
    Aug: 5 NTS Lake George NY
    Sept: 5 NTS Vermont Fall Foliage Rally--with 1 NT layover on way down

I'm also seriously considering the ON Thanksgiving Gathering Oct 6-9th. After all, it's only about a one hour drive from my place!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  17. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer Active Member

On the books:

April: Cloudland Canyon State Park in NW Georgia
    July: Grand Canyon - North Rim
    December: Periwinkle Park on Sanibel Island

Still planning on 1-2 more stops while we are out west.
    I am also seeing trips over Labor Day weekend and something in October. Probably in the North Georgia mountains.

18. kitphantom

I managed to reserve a campsite (with FHU) at the KOA in Tucson next month, so that adds another trip to our list, though it's more "visiting" than "camping". We have not stayed at this KOA, so it will be interesting to see if it's added to our options for the area. About the same distance to our friends' house as Catalina SP, but looks to be an easier drive; same thing with the hotel we've used the last couple of times - and a whole lot cheaper. I will stay at Catalina in April, but they only had overflow sites available for Feb.

We keep tossing around ideas for the fall. DH will only have 1 vacation day left after our August trip. We may head up to an area of the Santa Fe NF, one that we have only backpacked in. There are a couple of nice-looking CGs, and our pastor has promised to show us some interesting places he's found in the area. We can get to that area in a couple of hours, so it would make a good weekend trip.
    Once the new vacation year begins in Oct., we plan to go for a week at South Rim, Grand Canyon. DH will put in a backpacking permit request this time, so we have until June or July 1st to decide whether we want to go in Oct. or Nov., though I'd like to decide earlier so we can reserve one of our favorite sites in the CG.

19. molanginaeda

molanginaeda Member

2017 planning is on the way. Since Canada offering waived all national park entrance fee, we are heading back to Canada. Heading west to the Canadian Rockies. Campground booking would be opening soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Natureangel

b

I'll be watching you! I'm considering Canadian Rockies for 2018!