Planning for '17

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by kitphantom, Nov 28, 2016.

1. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Traditional April trip is out due to Hocking Hills Dining Lodge burning down [V]. May brings Petoskey, June is the Michigan Rally and Holland, with remainder of year TBD. We would like to head out west, but my vacation time will be minimal this year. It will just give us more planning time for a big trip in 2018. [RTM]

2. ADK Explorer

ADK Explorer Member

Planning for '17

Well after just getting our camper last year and only being able to camp with it once, we are trying to make up for lost time. With a busy summer already looming, we are only able to camp with it 3 maybe 4 times this season.
    Memorial Day we will be at Treman State park, Ithaca Ny. Great place and some great hiking. In July we will be at Rollins Pond in the ADKS with some friends. Awesome little lake with some great fishing and some great hiking in the area.
    Those two are reserved and paid for[emoji4]
    With a 2 week vacation to Myrtle Beach and my wife's 40th birthday in August that doesn't leave much time for camping. Possibly I'll squeeze one in.
    Likely Lewey Lake for Labor Day weekend. Another awesome little fishing lake in the heart of the ADKS.
    Then to finish the season we are thinking Letchworth in October.
    Even though it's still January I'm very excited to get out into the woods!

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Still no word on a possible Quad State Rally in June.

I made reservations for South Rim of Grand Canyon at the end of April. One of my friends may go with me, she usually backpacks with another friend, but hasn't been able to do that for the last year or so. She's spoiled by back country camping, where there are fewer people. However, she loves South Rim, and isn't able to go to Tucson with me next month, so may be able to go in April.

Spring is pretty well filled up, I have to work around DH's travel schedule for work, for solos and for trips with both of us. The tentative plans for fall close to home may be cancelled for travel too. [I can't complain, work pays the bills, for camping and everything else.]

4. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

Almost waited too long to book at our favorite Wisconsin campground - Harrington Beach State Park. I booked a couple days the week of July 10th. All the weekends are booked (for my favorite site) the entire summer! However, I am able to camp mid-week which is cool.

5. molanginaeda

molanginaeda Member

If you thinking to go during the summer time, book early. Find your fav spot (I used google map) and book it during opening day.

Both Banff and Jasper National Park campground booking open in Jan. I already have reservation for both area for our summer trip. Since I need electricity, my selection kind of limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Definitely want summer and electricity! I'm glad the reservations open in January not 12 months out gives me more time to decide if I'm up to it!
    Do you have any sites to recommend?

7. kitphantom

Quad-State Rally is June 16-18, at Pine Lake CG (in the vicinity of Bryce). I made that reservation this morning.

8. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

So stoked! two PUP trips:

1) MacKerricher State Park near Fort Bragg in mid april and I got my favorite site (#80). My wife is taking our 6 year old on an overnight field trip with her school for two nights, so I get my four year old to myself for three days. Its funny how the oldest got lots of alone time with mommy and daddy on separate occasions, but the youngest doesn't. So we try to get some one on one time with both of them on camping, climbing or ski trips.

2) Salt Point State Park near Ft Ross in early april. Another non mommy trip, but this time with both our kids as my wife is going to a conference in San Diego for her profession.

I'll post pics--hopefully some good whale shots from mackerricher and climbing shots from salt point.

9. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Just added Starved Rock and Thomson Causway (on the mighty Mississippi). Summer is going to be busy!

10. kitphantom

Yay! First trip of the year is this week. It's not really a camping trip, since I'm using the TT as a hotel room in Tucson, but it should be a good shake-down trip to start the year. We had really warm days Friday and Saturday while we prepped the TT, which made it nice to be outside. Today, the temps are in the 40s, with winds gusting to 45+ mph. Glad the TT is ready, and that the winds are supposed to be gone by the time I start out on Wed. (I coped with 50 mph winds last year, ABQ to southern NM, once was more than enough.)

I made reservations today for the first week of our eclipse trip to Wyoming in August; we've had reservations in Yellowstone since last fall. We stayed in the same campground 10 years ago. From the pics and map, it looks like it has been re-worked and that they've cut a good portion of the trees. (They probably had one of the tree diseases so many of the areas in the west have had to deal with over the last few years.) We have a couple of reservations to make as the booking windows open, on the road to/from Wyoming, but this was the important one. DH has a backpack trip planned in the area, and this is the handiest location for me to base camp. [I reserved a double site, since our friends from Tucson hope to join us for part of the time. DH's bother has also mentioned the slight possibility that he'll travel from Ohio to go on the backpack trip.]

11. CottonwoodMama

CottonwoodMama New Member

So far have 4 nights planned at KOA in St. George/ Hurricane for first week of April (Spring Break.) I'm hoping to spend a week or so in Idaho. Last year we camped at Castle Rock State Park by City of Rocks and Lava Hot Springs. We will also spend more time exploring around Kodachrome Basin State Park and Canyonlands. If we have time I'd like to check out Great Basin NPS in August. Any Idaho recommendations?

12. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

We lived in St George for awhile. Loved camping at Moab and Great Basin NP.

13. kitphantom

One trip already done, just made reservations for our Thanksgiving trip. Last year, we met Tucson friends at Kartchner Caverns SP, and took one of the cave tours. This year, we decided to try Lost Dutchman SP, since none of us have been there.

14. KFam54

KFam54 New Member

I finally bit the bullet and reserved a site for this summer. My hesitation? Last year was our first year with the PUP, first time towing anything really, needless to say, we learned our lesson. We were towing with a 2008 Subaru Outback and she just couldn't hang. Last weekend we bought a used Dodge Ram 1500 that'll do the job much better (and safer). I'm also pregnant and due in June, so I didn't want to commit to too much not knowing what kind of personality this baby will have. Our 15 month old is very easy going and go with the flow, he went on 4 trips last year and is basically a pro (except now he's walking... [;)]

Today I decided that I want to camp for my birthday (end of August) and so I booked a spot. If the baby doesn't want to cooperate, we can always cancel or give the site to friends. But for right now, for today, I am so excited!!!

15. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

74 days and counting until our first trip (who's counting).

16. kitphantom

We made reservations for the last two nights of our August 2-week trip. We'll stop at White Star CG, site of last year's CO Rally. This is one of our favorite areas in Colorado, so DH jumped at the chance to camp two nights instead of one, and maybe hike one of the Fourteeners in the area. His brother has met us there a couple of times, so they have a chance to hike and visit too.
    One more reservation to make for that trip, we plan to camp in Utah SP on the way to Wyoming, and that reservation window is only 4 months in advance.

17. mrobuck

mrobuck New Member

Booked our annual road trip: Big Oregon Coast Loop from Denver. Originally wanted to show the family Lake Tahoe, but it was full. Strangely enough Yosemite wasn't... and since Yosemite is (was) on my bucket list, it was a nice surprise I could get a spot there instead. So it's Denver to Capitol Reef to Yosemite to Redwoods to Crater Lake to Astoria to St Helen's to Rainier to Glacier and home. Last year was the Seattle Coast Loop (Yellowstone to North Cascades to San Juan Island to, Olympic to Hood and home) and we loved it. So bigger and better(??) this year is the hope. All the best to everyone and their 2017 plans! May the memories be bountiful and the miles easy.

18. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

Bought my Wisconsin state park sticker. We have two trips planned locally. Kicking around getting the Michigan sticker too as we would like to add two trips on the western side of the state. I think Michigan has the best state parks in the country. [2C]

19. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

I'm so excited that I finally have plans to report! Booked a 4-nighter in St. Louis with my SIL and family for July. And booked Labor Day weekend near Wisconsin Dells with some friends. Both are private campgrounds with all the cool kid stuff, swimming pools, etc. Hoping we'll sprinkle in a couple weekends to public campgrounds too!