Planning for 2021

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by kitphantom, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I feel a bit differently this year for a couple reasons:

1. After the home burglary during my last trip, I admit I'm hesitant to go away again. There's just so much theft going on these days. I will have a friend check on the house daily (and make sure no one tries to steal my other camper), but it is a bit of a funny feeling in my gut after that experience and seeing all the local crimes happening.

2. The after effect of the burglary is that I ended up redoing my house completely. Inside painted with new colors, new flooring throughout, new furniture (they stole most of what I had), etc. I'm still in the honeymoon phase of the redo, so I actually really like being home. So, again, it's not really giving me the urge to go out.

However, I do want to go camping and I know I need to so I can get over the burglary. Right now I have planned out my sightseeing trip to Lassen NP for the fall. Have to wait a few months before I can make reservations. And I am planning a birthday camping trip for early spring. This will be my first trip as I still have to deal with tires and the fuel intake line on the clipper - after I get the fence and gate put up. Once I get that first trip out, I should have put myself back into camping mode so I suspect more will occur as I go, though I probably won't do one so close to Christmas again.

2. LaramieLovers

LaramieLovers New Member

This thread inspired me to go ahead and book some trips! And thank you for that inspiration. The COVID inspired camping craze is evident, as I could see many PA State parks were pretty darn booked up months ahead, which I haven’t seen before. Besides a previously planned spring break trip with the kids to Assateague National Seashore, we also booked a boondocks site in Bald Eagle State Forest (PA), and sites at Hickory Run SP ( a favorite), Promised Land SP, and Ohiopyle SP ( both new parks for us). Now we are waiting for the NJ state park reservation system to open so we can add a couple trips on the other side of the river, too (Worthington SP and Bass River SP). I’ve never booked so many trips this far in advance, we usually had to wait and see about “kid schedules”, sports, races (running), etc. So much is just cancelled, and the parks are filling up, so I’m so glad we went ahead and booked sites and planned camping trips clear through to October.
    Also, our house was robbed a couple years ago, Toedtoes, and I can tell you it takes a while- but the never wanting to leave (and feeling like you need to hide everything valuable when you do) does eventually fade. I’m sorry, it sucks to get robbed.

Sjm9911, Toedtoes and kitphantom like this.
  3. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

When will you be at ohioplye? This is fairly close to me. Maybe we can meet

4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear it happened to you. It does suck. Yeah, I figure it's just a natural reaction to the burglary. I also know that it is just my avoidance tendency kicking its ugly head - easy to justify not doing something. Being home so much - redoing the house, Covid, retirement in general, new dog, etc. - have just made it too easy to avoid getting out there camping. That's why I know I need to get out soon.

LaramieLovers likes this.
  5. Camp Crazy

Camp Crazy New Member

We love the State Parks in Wisconsin and they allow reservations 11 months in advance. We have 26 nights reserved between mid-May and early October. We felt comfortable with our family’s ability to stay COVID-safe this past year, so we are looking forward to a fun year!

Susan Premo likes this.
  6. Camping Party of 2

Camping Party of 2 Member

Inspired us too Just booked a week on Jordan Lake

poplar Point B15_1.jpg poplar Point B15_2.jpg

7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

If you can book during the week, it's easier to get a reservation. We like Myrtle Beach, Buck Hall, Edisto, and Hunting Island campgrounds. We usually go September - November to avoid crowds, heat, and bugs.

8. LaramieLovers

LaramieLovers New Member

That trip is an Anniversary getaway, so if the pop-up’s rocking....
    Maybe next time we’re headed westerly we can be more neighborly.

9. vagov

Enjoy!

LaramieLovers likes this.
  10. Chad Bonnema

Chad Bonnema New Member

Reserved a week in Pensacola for Spring Break. We also reserved spots at Custer SP and Yellowstone for a 12-day "wild West adventure". Next step, make some local reservations for times throughout the summer.

kitphantom likes this.
  11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Staying flexible is going to be more important than ever this year. Sad to say due to the COVID numbers, the Sisters on the Fly event a friend and I were going to attend in June has been canceled. Not surprised, it was going to be 150 campsites, cabins, etc. Waiting to hear what my friend wants to do, since we have reservations for Grand Canyon right after those dates. WE may just hang back and see how things develop over the next month or two.

Susan Premo and Toedtoes like this.
  12. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Active Member

Wow, sounds so big, too bad it was canceled. Maybe things will improve, the vaccine could help, if it gets to everyone soon.

13. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Sorry to here it was cancled again. Hope this all changes soon. Get the vaccine when its out for you, it will not stop the stuff from getting cancled , but it may help in the long run.

Susan Premo and Family Travels like this.
  14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

@Sjm9911 - plans for this year are pretty much continent on having the vaccine. Supposedly I should be in the next phase, along with the friend who was going to AZ with me. My husband may or may not be, depends on what NM decided for age and underlying condition groupings.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. vagov

Just booked my 6th camping weekend for 2021 so far. I want to book Christmas in July weekend at a local campground however still closed due to covid restrictions, hopefully 2021 will be better than last year. I did receive my first round vaccine as 1st responder. 2nd shot in 3 weeks.

Susan Premo, Sjm9911 and kitphantom like this.
  16. Susan Premo

That what we were thinking, hate to be out somewhere and have to hurry back, I wonder if they'll use texting to let people know that your turn is coming up.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. Sjm9911

I have 4 trips definitely booked so far. I was going to play it by ear for the rest. Disney will be a 19 day trip, lol so that will eat up most of the vacation time. I have 2 rallys booked for this site and rescheduled the beach trip to Delaware. I may do a lake george trip or to darian lake for six flags again we will see.

Yea, i just got the vaccine also. Tbh i would have waited for the older folks to get theres, but they were insistent at work, and i have to set the example. Plus there sick of isolating whole crews while they get tested when they are exposure problems. I guess its the right thing to do. Thats another reson im keeping it low key this year. They have no one to work. Side note, mostly no side effects from the moderna vaccine. Some nausea, but nothing else i have heard of.

kcsa75 likes this.
  18. Sjm9911

In nj , they give you a heads up, so email or text depending. I had a weeks notice before i qent and got mine.

Susan Premo likes this.
  19. Susan Premo

Hope they do that here, in Minnesota.

20. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

2 years ago I was Lucky enough to see Banff, Jasper and Yoho. Flew out there no camping. Last year I camped Yellowstone/Grand Tetons, bit of a drive but worth every mile! I’ve been to RMNP several times as well.
    This year I’m headed back to the Smokies that started my mountain desires. Kind of like going home. Not camping in the parks beautiful spots because I prefer hook ups.
    Depending on how things go, COVID, cash and health I hope to go to Yosemite 2022!

Susan Premo, kcsa75 and kitphantom like this.