Planning Next Year's Big Trip

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by bearnbrie, Aug 26, 2009.

1. bearnbrie

bearnbrie Member

I'm planning a big trip next summer and need some help.We are leaving from East Texas heading west and need recomendations on campgrounds and RV parks for the following areas, Colorado Springs, Co., Estes Park, Co., Grand Teton, Wy., Yellowstone, Wy., Glacier NP,Mt., over to the western seaboard and down to San Francisco, Los Angeles,Ca.,Yosemite to see the giant red woods, east to the Grand Canyon, down to Carlsbad Caverns in SW New Mexico then back to East Texas and home. I know this is a lot of information I'm looking for but any help would be welcomed. Planning on being gone for about six weeks and need water and electric and restrooms so national park campgrounds are most likely out. Thanks a million, Otis.

2. BrendaD1123

BrendaD1123 Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Wow, sounds like a fantastic trip!

We stayed at a private campground in Estes Park twice before and absolutely LOVED it and we usually avoid private campgrounds. It's very rustic/woodsy but does have hook-ups and hot showers/flush toilets, etc. I would highly recommend this place. Here's the link:

http://www.estesparkcampground.com

I can't say enough about this campground. We stayed there in 1999 and again in 2002, both times in a pop-up and will definitely be staying there again when we get out that way.

Good luck with your trip planning!

3. Hardee5

Hardee5 New Member

What route are you taking from the "western seaboard down to San Francisco"?

4. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

Here is a website with some reviews:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

and here is a state park listing where you can reserve some spots:

http://www.reserveamerica.com/

and you can try here as well, it has listings on a map of all types of CGs:

http://www.epgsoft.com/CampgroundMap/

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

As for Yellowstone we stayed at Bridge Bay. Not bad, try to get a site on the outter loop road. A bit more space.

As for the Tetons you might want to try Colter Bay. I heard that is a nice place to stay.

Make your reservations as soon as you get you travel details down. I heard Colter Bay fills up quick.

6. wardog

wardog Member

Colter Bay has 2 different campgrounds called Colter Bay. One is the Colter bay RV park which has full hook ups and takes reservations and the other Colter Bay campground which is first come first serve has none. Inside Yellowstone the only campgrounds available to pop ups do not have hook ups.

Sorry we can't help you with locations with hook ups because we stayed in the NP's this summer without them.

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

The OP should go to the Yellowstone National Park website to get the facts.

Yellowstone Campgrounds

There are two kinds of campgrounds in Yellowstone. One set is operated by Xanterra. These take reservations. The other set is operated by the Park Service. They do not take reservations. They are also less expensive. The only campground I know of in Yellowstone that will not take a PUP is Fishing Bridge. Most campgrounds in Yellowstone do not have hook-ups. There are several public and private campgrounds outside the park but relatively close. Some of these take reservations and some of these have hook-ups.

One possibility is to get a place in the southern part of Yellowstone or the northern end of the Grand Tetons and use it as a base to tour both parks. Here is a link to the campgrounds section of the Grand Teton NP website:

Grand Tetons camping

A visitor to Washington State should check out the North Cascades, Mt. Rainier National Park (why not sleep on the side of a volcano?) and Olympic National Park. In Oregon there are many beautiful places on the coast and personally, I think Crater Lake National Park in the southern Cascades is a must see.

As for California, I recommend the following for a south-bound traveler: Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park in the far north (shooting location of the 3rd Star Wars movie in the original set, where they were racing through the redwoods on those flying scooters), Redwood National Park (here's a shot of DW on one of our morning walks there,

[​IMG]

Humboldt Redwoods State Park, and The Avenue of the Giants between Phillipsville and Garberville. Yosemite is a must-see but realize that the only way to get a campsite in the valley is to reserve months ahead. Consider non-valley locations. Also, Kings Canyon and Sequoia are great.

8. bearnbrie

bearnbrie Member

Not sure of the area since we have not been out there before but will most likely go from Glacier National Park over to Seattle, Wa.then get on Hwy. 101 that runs down the western coast line to southern California.

9. bearnbrie

bearnbrie Member

Thanks a lot for the replies and information, it will come in very handy in figuring out this trip. If you think of anything else let me know. I am going to get this together asap so I can make reservations waaaay ahead of time. Thanks again [{:)] Otis

10. TempestT-37

TempestT-37 New Member

This link is dead. http://www.estesparkcampground.com

It looks like they changed ownership and now are under Larimer County http://www.larimer.org/naturalresources/estespark_eastportal.htm
    The new site does not make me want to go there, it is boring.

I did like there old site http://web.archive.org/web/20080729143842/http://www.estesparkcampground.com/

11. jbarz73

jbarz73 New Member

Yosemite NP

We spent a week camping in Yosemite valley this summer. It was great!

If you can do dry camping, I would recommend staying in Yosemite Valley. Just remember to book it on recreation.gov on the 15th, six months prior to your arrival (we booked at 8am on 1/15 for a 6/12 arrival). If you absolutely need hookups, then you are going to get a place outside of the park. Just remember to budget at least an hour of travel time to get to the main sites within the park. The mileage quoted on the maps may not seem that far, but the speed limit is only about 35 mph within the park. Most of the roads are windy 2-lane mountain roads. Road construction can easily add 30-60 minutes to travel times within the park.

Grand Canyon

We seem to go here a couple times each year. We always stay at Mather Campground on the South Rim. It is also dry camping (no hookups). However, there is Trailer Village right next to it that offers full hookups.

Both park websites have their "Guide" newspapers online so you can see and plan out what activities are of interest to you. Both parks also run free shuttle buses inside the park to most locations. The shuttle tend to be busy in the early mornings and late afternoon. But they are conveniently located and it beats having to find a parking spot.

One other thing, I would not try to schedule thing too tightly. If you can afford the time, I would allow an extra day at the big parks, like Yellowstone and Yosemite. On our way to Yosemite this year, we had a blowout that added about 4 hours to our travel time. Had we been on a tight schedule and had anything planned for that arrival day, we would have missed out. Even spending the full week at Yosemite, there were things and places we did not have time to do/see. We'll make sure to hit those on another trip.

Have fun planning! It sounds like a great adventure.

12. ND Mike

ND Mike Member

You may want to consider getting a small generator for the trip. We found one this spring for about $380, 1800 w. It won't run an air conditioner, but the rest of the camper was fine, it will also recharge your battery. We found the campgrounds in the NPs outside of Yellowstone were beautiful and very clean and plan on staying there next year.