Planning to go around Lake Mighigan

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Natureangel, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Trying to decide between the Straits that has lake front but no electric or Wilderness that has lake front and electric. Is anyone familiar with both?

2. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

I've never been to either one of them but looking at their websites and watching the videos I would prefer the Wilderness. It looks a lot more scenic and it's quite a bit larger than the Straits. The campsites at Straits looked pretty close together. Also the Wilderness has 26 miles of shoreline !!!! Thats crazy if you wanna do kayaks. What do you think ?

3. Natureangel

Waiting for the reservations to open. Wilderness does look better than Straits so I guess I'm going there.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a campground half way between Door county and Mackinaw? I think I should break up that leg.

The trip down I'm guessing Muskegon will be the last stop.

4. papa and gram

papa and gram New Member

If you are going to the Muskegon area check out PJ Hoffmaster state park. It's a great park and is easy on and off from US31. It is only about 4-5 miles south of Muskegon and 6 miles north of Grand Haven. Grand Haven is a good place to spend a day walking the boardwalk out to the lighthouse,plus the beach is great.

5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We thought Ludington SP was outstanding when camping with the kids. When we camped at Wilderness we like a lot, but lake front CS's you need to reserve far in advance. If you will be traveling during the tulip festival Holland SP is a okay park to take in the festival.

FYI: Michigan SP's we have found most sites are smaller, plus you have to pay a daily park entrance fee. You can buy a yearly pass.

6. o740c314i9xt

o740c314i9xt Member

Little Bay de Noc, Camp Seven Lake, Island Lake, Widewaters, Pictured Rocks

7. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Active Member

Sounds like a great trip, Wilderness SP is one of our favorites, they have two campgrounds we like the one across the road from the beach, the beach campground is really packed in, sites are small and very close together and usually louder with parties. The road to get out to the park from the bridge is pretty rough black top, not a real problem but not as nice as it was a few years ago. Half way across the UP on US-2 you will find Fayette SP, it is a interesting place, ghost town, and campground. Close to it is the big springs, with the small glass bottom boat, can't remember the name of it but very nice day use SP area, well worth a hours visit. Enjoy your trip and let us know how it went.

8. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Little Bay De Noc is nice and also Indian Lake SP for your halfway between Door Co. and Wilderness. Good choice in Wilderness by the way.

9. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple from Wilderness

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple from Indian Lake

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

10. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Nice pic's we camped just a few sites north from there. Very nice wilderness beach ther. One day a bald eagle was eating a fish on the beach 50 or so yards fro us.

11. Natureangel

So many great ideas. I think my biggest problem is only having 10 days. I really want to see the Falls, Pictured Rocks etc.... I think I should plan on a second trip with a longer time off to explore those areas.
    My longest drive so far has been 4 hours and on my own I don't think I'd like much more than that before setting up. OK now I sound wimpy.

Thanks for all the help! I'll figure this out somehow :)

12. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

You are going to love Door County and PSP! This past September we camped in Egg Harbor and it was by far the highlight of our summer. Lots of places to see. I highly suggest you take a side trip to Wilson's Restaurant & Ice Cream Parlor for their ice cream. Absolutely to die for. It's located in Ephraim which is about 7 miles from the campground. Enjoy your trip. You will not be disappointed.

13. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

And be sure and go to a fish boil! So fun!