Please check that you've safely hitched before venturing out . . . .

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by smellott, May 24, 2013.

1. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Just found this...
    [​IMG]

2. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Had a friend hook my boat to his truck and we followed him to the lake....he made a turn and the boat didn't....he didn't put in the pin or hook up the chains. Any time I tow or strap on something, I double check before moving, recheck after a few miles, and every stop gets a walk around, checking straps, hook ups, tires and bearings.

3. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Here's a link that works...
    [​IMG]

4. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

I always double check to make sure everything is connected before driving off. On a longer trip anytime we stop I do a walk around the camper and check the hook up and tires and lights.

I'm sure everyone who watches this report will never look at hitching up the same way again. What a tragic accident that could have been easily avoided.

5. mainahman

mainahman All the worlds indeed a stage

This thread made me double check my other trailer when i hooked it up to play tonight. Chains crossed padlock on the receiver that thing isn't going anywhere :)

6. Srt4inliny

Srt4inliny "It ain't campin if ya can't hear nature"

WOW such a sad story. made me go and just hold my DW and DDx2. it can all be taken away from you in a blink of an eye. the fact that she even still had Izzies clothes in the hamper. brought me over the edge. My prayers and thoughts are with her and her family and anyone else who this may have happened to. I hope we all strive to make every trip a happy and memorable one and most of all safe. common sense can mean the difference between life and death. Be safe everyone.

7. pasobuff

pasobuff Active Member

I watched that video, and yes it was tough!

I am almost anal retentive about checking and double checking my hook up....a few years ago I was in a hurry, threw the hitch on my truck, hooked up my horse trailer and headed down tot he cement yard to get some concrete pavers.....was pulling out of the cement plant when I heard/felt a 'thunk'.....stopped and checked everything only to find I had forgotten to put the pin in the hitch, so the only thing holding the trailer to the truck were the (crossed) safety chains - which were short enough to not allow the hitch to come fully out of the receiver at least.....

I had a car lose a ladder off the roof right in front of me one.....was a GREAT reminder why I don't follow too closely.

8. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

We have spent the last year fixing up an old house. I took MANY trips to the dump with an open trailer. Sometimes willed with ripped up flooring, chain link fence, drywall, ripped out plumbing, etc. it really amazed my how people would ride right on the bumper of the trailer, even though it was obviously piled high with construction debris that could have fallen out. Yes, I packed and strapped it pretty well, but they didn't know that.

Same thing applies to people tailgating a car that has a mattress strapped to the roof and is bent halfway back from then70 MPH wind. People really have no common sense.

9. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Thanks for sharing. Literally brings tears to my eyes. Thanks for the all-too-real reality check.

For the tongue hitch, I use a locking tongue hitch pin. This stays on all of the time, whether at home, at the campsite or towing. It wouldn't stop a determined individual from taking off with the PUP but that's not so much the point for me.

Because it is A) on and locked all of the time and B) requires that I undo it to even hitch up, it has become ingrained in my procedure to always, always use it. I am human and make mistakes so anything I can do to make it as much "muscle memory" or part of a procedure, the less chance I'll have of missing or messing up something.

And a better solution of a locking hitch pin over just a standard pin is that no one can just undo any part of it and cause me a surprise later. If I stop at a rest stop and am not around my rig for a while, I don't have to worry so much about mischievous individuals. Both the receiver and the hitch are locked and keyed alike.

10. CamperJenn

CamperJenn Member

Are the quick links ok to use when towing??

Here in Canada I have heard so many conflicting stories/facts that you can't use quick links... Can't use the hiking looking spring loaded things...
    I'm using S hooks... One is too big and won't fit back into a link... So I'm trying to find another way to secure chains.

Last I need is a stop from MTO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

11. DragNfly

DragNfly New Member

My first job was on a lawn mowing crew. Almost at the shop, the trailer came off the hitch, and wedged between the railroad tie and the rail. As if in a bad movie, the 5:15 commuter train is headed our way. The guy in charge was 6 foot 4 and 260 pounds of hulking muscle. He jumped from the drivers seat, lifted the hitch and threw the trailer backwards into the car behind us right before the train pulled into the station. Luckily this was long before cell phone cameras.

Every time I stop the TV I do a complete walk around the truck and trailer.

12. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

ALWAYS LOOK CLOSE
    our last trip everything looked good, traveled fine, stop checks fine, and while taking down the camper something caught my eye....
    Since I take my hitch out to save my shins and toss it under the front bunk, it was laying there and noticed that the nut had worked loose and was FINGER TIGHT !!!!

13. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

a couple of weeks ago I had a guy come to pick up his new 4 wheeler and I always ask them if they want to pull it up on the trailer or if they would like me to do it for them. Most want me to do it, so he put his ramps down and I started to drive it onto the trailer. All of a sudden the front of the trailer lifted up, slammed into the back of his tailgate and slide down putting a nice 1 ft long crease in it before coming to a stop on the top of his bumper where the ball is and then was pushed forward putting a major dent in his license plate, I had to get a floor jack to get it off the bumper. He towed it down the highway all the way to our place with the hitch unlocked and pinned open!!! I said man your lucky this didnt come off on the highway cause you could have caused a major accident and possibly killed someone!!! He borrowed the trailer from a friend. First time I have ever had this happen. I said, well you learned your lesson and now your tailgate is trashed as a reminder. He was shaking badly.

14. SUPERKSR

SUPERKSR Member

Tragic story, but one that drives home the importance of safety.
    My son loves to help hook up the camper. He's now 12 and has always done just fine. However, I never trust that it's right until I re-check it for myself.
    On longer trips where we may stop along the way, I physically touch each component on the hitch, and re-inspect the lights EVERY TIME we head out. It takes less than a minute and could possibly save a life.

15. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

Yes important reminder. When you're married to an analytical chemist, you always double check everything!

16. The Sneezies

The Sneezies New Member

Hi, y'all. We just finished our maiden voyage out of the driveway and had a great time. Except--lots of trouble getting the hitch to seat on the ball. It appeared to be aligned ok, but we had great difficulty in being able to drop the lever (which I do pin with a lock). We have a 1992 Coleman Americana which we bought last November and have had it on the TV four separate occasions without any problem. Should I look at greasing the thingy (technical term [LOL] inside the hitch or the ball?

17. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

I found it easier on my pup to align it slightly in front of the ball rather than dead center. it usually just drops and falls right on the ball something to try

18. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Such a sad story.... my absolute FEAR when Im towing my 3500 lbs GVWR pup. Reminds me that I need to learn how to test my breakaway switch to make sure its working. Anyone know how to check it? Do you just pull the plunger out and try to drive away with it attached? Then put the plunger back in? I don't want to break it if its working either.

19. Phranc

Phranc New Member

Yes, that is how. Just tug on it with the TV. Don't try to drag it far.

20. tconroy

tconroy Active Member