Please check that you've safely hitched before venturing out . . . .

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by smellott, May 24, 2013.

1. Dragonfli032

Dragonfli032 Member

New to towing anything and when picked up pop up the dealer hooked up and did it so fast i am not sure I remember everything. Can someone walk me through?

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. What type of camper do you have and what tow vehicle do you have? The hitches are different among the pop-ups. So there may be a slightly different process. Do you have a manual for your popup? That would be a start. On mine there is a small pin and lever. (See attached) You pull the pin and lift the lever then back your vehicle up and lower onto the ball. Once fully on the ball correctly you lower the lever to lock it on and put the pin back in. Attach chains, electric connection, and if you have the break-a-way cord to tow vehicle. Test lights to make sure everything is working. Do an initial tug test to make sure everything is sitting right take chauks out from tires and you should be set.

Attached Files:

3. Dragonfli032

Dragonfli032 Member

08 Trailblazer and 17 Rockwood 1940 LTD

4. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

Here you go:

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  5. Dragonfli032

Dragonfli032 Member

So where do I attach the breakaway cable? Thanks for the video, thats very helpful

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

The break away cable if you have one, would need to be attached to the tow vehicle somewhere. For me, I attach it to the same place I attach my camper chains on. I just try and keep it over to the side so it doesn't get caught up in the chains if I was to make a tight turn, etc.

7. Dragonfli032

Dragonfli032 Member

Ok thanks, thats how the dealer hooked up but he said I needed to get a clip of some sort, wasn't sure what type of clip

8. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

LOL, 10 easy steps. Very ironic.

9. MIke Ingram

MIke Ingram New Member

I am always a triple checker. When it's done, before I pull away and at the end of the block before I go into traffic.

10. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Good luck fitting power cord through the hitch lock safety pin.

11. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

I also do a walk around and double check the hitch, chains, and coupler if we stop along the way for food/shopping etc. You never know what kids will do thinking it's funny.

12. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I'm not a fan of putting the electrical cord through the hitch lock safety pin as shown in the video. The cord moves back and forth when turning around corners, and backing, (jackknifing) into parking spots. I wouldn't want to risk that cord opening the safety pin. I actually use a pad lock on the coupler while towing anyway, but for those who use a pin as shown, I wouldn't put the cord in there.

nineoaks2004 and f5moab like this.
  13. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

When we picked up our pop up recently, the breakaway cable was broke. We need to replace it now before venturing off. Any videos or suggestions on what cable to purchase or how I replace it? Thank you.

14. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I bought a breakaway cable at tractor supply that has a snap at each end the cable coils up so it stays tight and never drags to catch on things

15. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Most breakaway cables are 48 inches long. Plenty on Amazon. I prefer the straight to the coiled. The breakaway cable needs to be setup shorter than the safety chains. I don't run it through the same hole as the chain, since it is small wire and could be comprised easily by the chain hook. I put a clevis through the hole and run the cable through the clevis and back to the loop at the switch. You may need a quick link or two, to adjust the cable length.

16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

The prior owner had carabiners to attach the chains to the vehicle and attached the breakaway switch to one of the carabiners. I quickly ordered clevis clips for the chains and now connect the breakaway cable to the vehicle with a quick link.

I use a locking pin on my hitch and coupler. That way I know they are properly connected until/unless I unlock them. I never trust someone else to hitch my equipment, or prepare my for "take off". I always do it myself or check it completely over before driving.