Please help me decide - hot water tank - yes or no

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by mark30, Jan 22, 2019.

1. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that there is another alternative you've not mentioned - if you order a camper with the water heater option that option usually also includes an outside shower dual mixer faucet. That in turn means you can set up an outside shower tent and have easy access to the faucet and control shower water temperature.

2. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

It's not going to be the end of the world either way. I've camped with and without and enjoyed both.

mark30 likes this.
  3. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Also in the No camp and it is a $775 option. We have a designated large pot for warm water/dishes/whatever. In 7 years, never really missed a water heater since the stove is next to the sink.
    We prefer the dishwashing sinks some campgrounds offer but not many places seem to have them.

4. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

One thing with the water heater, you also get that extra six gallons of water storage on board.

I have a never used shower in my pup. One the grey tank is only 12 gallons (20+6 fresh) and the caulking needs to be redone in the shower. But I do use the water heater on every trip to wash dishes. Just need to figure out extra grey & fresh storage.

Toedtoes likes this.
  5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

For many years, with popups, a hybrid, and travel trailers I've used inexpensive 7 gal Aquatainers for collecting fresh water and for offloading grey water. Made of food grade plastic, have a proper threaded vent cap that doesn't leak, are cube shaped so they don't waste space when stored, are durable and are inexpensive. I carry a set of 4 or 5 in the back of my truck for fresh water and have up to another 4 I dedicate to offloading grey water by gravity. No matter which type of trailer one has Aquatainers are an easy solution for both issues. Fresh water I transfer to the trailer's FW holding tank with a 12 vdc pump, grey water I gravity feed. These are pics with our travel trailer but the system works just the same with a popup.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=YTZrWHhLU0VrOWFnakV4el9jMXJodi1ISVItaGFR

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=YTZrWHhLU0VrOWFnakV4el9jMXJodi1ISVItaGFR

In fact, when gravity draining grey water one can couple one Aquatainer to a second for a total of 14 gals of capacity - works like a charm. [A]

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y0tiYWFzQl8xdGRCRmwwOV90TXBtYlpOZHdRc3VB

PaThacker likes this.
  6. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

An insulated pump pot is a good substitute for a water heater (especially if you have a small fresh tank anyway). Boil once and save it all day. :)

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  7. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I only boondock with pup and it has the same hot water heater I had on all other campers owned. 6 gallon capacity and propane pilot light only. No direct spark or electric heating element off grid. Showering , hand washing and dish washing keeps it lit 24/7 off grid. Shower and pottie outside in privy tent. No biggie. Actually prefer the outside vs inside facilities on last pup. The wet bath area of a camper eats a ton of storage.

Toedtoes likes this.
  8. darrenandmelissa

darrenandmelissa Member

After having our hybrid, I really enjoy having our water heater. Mainly for dishes, we do all our dishes in the camper. It is also really nice to have hot water to clean your hands as needed.

I did the heat the water up on the stove when we had our pop up but I would much rather have my water heater.

Winterizing the water tank takes five minutes. First you drain all the water out and than flip the bypass. No need to run antifreeze through the water heater it self.

kitphantom likes this.
  9. BillyMc

I agree, I somewhat overcome this by using it as travel storage. Everything I put in that area is going on a counter or out in the screen room once setup. We've only used the shower once, but that toilet is worth the lost space when you have to pee and it's pouring rain.[{}=]

10. mark30

mark30 Member

As one person pointed out, while the hot water tank indeed holds six gallons, you do not get any 'extra' water since once the main water tank is empty, the water in the hot water tank is not accessible.

PointyCamper likes this.
  11. mark30

mark30 Member

Thank you for providing this perspective. This may be what it all boils down to (pun intended) in the end.

Having a hot water tank indeed has some benefits, but there are alternatives if a person does not have one. Both the benefits and alternatives have been well described throughout this thread. Plus, there are a few advantages to not having one: lighter weight (80 lbs lighter to be exact; relevant when tow vehicle is nearing its towing capacity), and frees up some storage space that will actually get used (plus there is a few dollars of savings on the initial purchase price as well).

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  12. BillyMc

You could take the drain plug out, but that would be a pain in the ... It would be easier and cheaper to carry six gallon jugs of water.

13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We know we have the water in the HWT, but it's not really in our comfort zone total when we dry camp (most of the time). Our fresh tank is 20 gallons, though the last 2 or so aren't accessible because of where the pump intake hose is. We will top off with campground water, or extra water we've brought, on longer trips. After years of camping in dry places, we never have less than one jug of water in the TV, usually 2-4. When we had to replace our jugs a couple of years ago, we down-sized the capacity, so I could handle them on solo trips more easily. Our current set is three 2-1/2 gallon jugs and one 4 gallon one. In the past we've carried 5 or 7 gallon ones.

14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I have one 2.5gal container for the FnR and will be getting several more for when I start traveling. Since the FnR system takes longer to get the hot water to the tap than my clipper does, I go through more water in the FnR for the same time frame.

So, I will use the containers for drinking and cooking water and use the fresh water tank water for dishwashing and hand washing (so I can have the hot water on tap). I use a pitcher with campground water for the toilet. That will let me extend beyond the current time limit (I run out of water on the morning of the 4th day currently).

After breaking my hand, I went with the 2.5gal containers so I could lift one with just my non-dominant hand as a precaution for the future. I can raise and lower the roof and walls and hitch and unhitch with one hand so I'm good on the road if I get injured.

15. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

0EBBCE75-B876-440F-A115-88E4E54FCC6D.jpeg Wet bath hell no. Been there done it. Storage trumps pouring rain pottie fun

16. cline80

cline80 New Member

We have one in our Coleman Bayside. I do fire it up on occasion to have hot water to clean dishes but I don't typically leave it on during the whole trip. I plan on doing some beach camping this summer for surf trips and what-not so having hot water for the outdoor shower may be useful but I haven't used it up to this point. Having it (or not having it) isn't' really a big deal to me but I don't find myself wishing it wasn't there.

17. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

We use so little hot water that we use the 5 cup coffee maker for our hot water needs.