Please help me!

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by GeorgiaGirl, Mar 21, 2012.

1. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

GeorgiaGirl glade you got it fix, Blkvoodoo on your Flagstaff like my Rockwood there is a ground wire at the back on the bottom of the frame on the left side i find this last year on my first trip with the new camper allmy lights work ok on my Tv but when use the van it would not work long story short it was the ground wire at the back of the camper.

2. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

If you're referring to my turn signals, this was never an issue on this camper, it was a preemptive strike and avoiding the tail light inverter all together. ( removed from my 4Runner the day I bought it, as it was already fried )

The lights will all still work with a regular 4wire or 7pin should it ever be towed by a vehicle with such connections, only the lights I added will work off my TV ( or another set up similar )

3. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

It was just FYI on the ground wire for the Rockwood and Flagstaff

4. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

Ah ok, I guess I mis-read/understood, got a few things going on at the same time here.

I'll check out that ground point, thanks for the tip

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Tell us what you mean by switching over to battery power ...... do you flip a switch ...... or just unplug the PUP. Charging from your TV will help but not fully charge the PUP battery.
    You can check the battery "state of charge" with your voltmeter...

12.6 volts = 100%
    12.06 = 50%
    10.5 > = 0%

Your PUP converter may or may not have a battery charger, thats why I asked about how you switched to battery.

Another note ..... taillight inverter converter, Because your TV has a separate turn signals and the PUP does not.... the taillight converter .... converts the power signals to the lights for proper operation of the PUP lights. Sometimes they are called T-Ones

Flashing (turn signal) speed, sometimes cars/trucks will have a turn signal flasher (blinker unit) that when there is a problem the TV lights the flashing speed will change or stop, to tell the driver there is a problem. If this happens when the PUP is connected and the turns blink super fast, the TV flasher would need to be upgraded to a heavy duty unit....... But this is usually not a problem with the 4-way flashers because it uses a heavy duty flasher because it has to light double the TV lights (both sides).

Last thing ....... forget the word inverter not a common thing in a PUP, normally we have in our PUPs converters (110 VAC to 12 VDC) and TV may need taillight converters (separate turn to combination stop/turn)

6. GeorgiaGirl

GeorgiaGirl New Member

Whoops! Converter. Not inverter! Gotcha! [:D]

I'll remember that on the blinkers. I know what you mean about the blinking fast. Happened on my hubs' car last year when a bulb burned out, and also on my SUV this year when the squirrels chewed through the wires.

Yes, I flip a switch. It's in a little compartment by the bunkend. I have a choice of flipping the switch to plugging in, battery or off. I'd turned it to battery the night before to test it all out and it worked perfectly. Because I did this at night, I think in my fumbling around, I forgot to flip the switch again. Atleast, that's what I hope! Ha, ha! The Pup probably does have a charger, but I'm only hooked up in my TV for lights. It wouldn't charge through there, would it?

I didn't do ANYTHING with it yesterday. The blasted cherry blossom trees around here are raining pollen everywhere & my allergies have gone absolutely bananas. Rained today, so hopefully it's washed it away some.

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

no it wouldn't charge thru that. Does the converter (box with fuses,etc.) have a battery switch? if it doesn't it would be automatic switching and may have a built in battery charger. It sounds like to me you are just shutting off a master battery disconnect switch. Photo would help. With the PUP plugged in you may not have to fool with the battery switch. You would only use it when the PUP is idle/storage/etc to keep it from getting drained.

8. bruceac1

bruceac1 Member

Very good descriptions on how to troubleshoot the lights and power lines on the pup. The only thing I would add is that when you use a DVOM, and an unknown voltage source, always start at the highest setting and work the ranges down till you get a near full scale reading. The same goes for the current /amps scales.

9. GeorgiaGirl

GeorgiaGirl New Member

I give up. The running lights/turn signals aren't working at all today.

10. GeorgiaGirl

GeorgiaGirl New Member

Updating! I gave in and brought it to a mechanic. It wasn't a ground - it's the box that connects my tow wiring to my tow vehicle. If that makes sense? It's deep down in the rear of my car. They're putting in a new box now. But, the camper itself is fine, thank God! Praying this ends the wonky light saga! I don't understand how the box went bad in a years time, though?

11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The taillight converter may have gotten wet, and some are better than others.

12. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

I had a hard time believing it too, I went thru 3 in about 18mos. ( at $45-50 a pop ) after that I wired my utility trailer and both campers for separate turn signals.

No more worries.

Yes, some are better than others, but when you go thru 3 it gets pretty tiring ( and expensive ), first 2 were Hoppy, I forget the brand of the third.

13. GeorgiaGirl

GeorgiaGirl New Member

Wait! That's the tail light converter? Man, I'm an Idiot! With a capital I!