Please Help! This may be posted already but can't find.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by smye852, Oct 23, 2014.

1. smye852

smye852 Our Greyt Escape

Ok - so we are new PUP owners. I have in the past owned travel trailers...anyway we bought a second hand Coleman Niagra Elite 2002. It has a slide dinette and also a shower/cassette toilet. We went camping in September and hooked it up to the city water using a regulator. The kitchen sink was working then the water pressure became low and we noticed a leaking under the camper where the bathroom would be.
    We turned the water off and stopped using it. Then our overhead lights went out...just the two on each end of the bunks. The A/C worked, the light in the storage compartment worked, but no overhead lights. We called maintenance at the campground and he was not the usual maintenance and couldn't figure it out. All elctrical outlets remained working.
    We did not use any water over the rest of the weekend.
    We are planning a trip in November and I am trying to figure this out.
    I DO NOT WANT TO USE THE BATHROOM FACILITIES IN THE PUP! Is there a turn off valve for the water to not run to this area? I only want to be able to use the kitchen sink...nothing else!
    Our PUP is stored at another location and I have not been able to see if the lights are again working. At the campsite we checked all fuses and they were all ok.
    I would appreciate any help that I can get on this.
    Like I have stated, we are not interested in using the bathroom area...only the kitchen area.
    Have I broke my poor PUP before really enjoying it?
    Thank you all for your time and answers and or suggestions.

2. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

First off, welcome from MA!

The overhead lights are probably due to either the kill switch under the galley (sink/stove countertop) not being depressed, or the cord that connects the box of the camper to the roof, usually run through the canvas on the drivers rear corner. Being that your other 12v lights worked, I'd lean towards that plug being disconnected.

As for your leak, it is probably not a big deal, look in that area and see what is leaking. Your cassette toilet does not have running water to it, so it is not a water line to that if it only leaked while hooked up to the hose. That said, I do not know of a way to make your sink work but nothing else.. Each area of the system does not have individual shutoffs to isolate them.

Do you have any pics of the area where it is leaking? If you have a "shoilet" setup, I'd bet it is one of the lines going to that, all of which should be relatively accessible.

3. smye852

smye852 Our Greyt Escape

I am going to look into that this weekend, like I have said before our PUP is stored somewhere else.UGH!

May I ask you this? When we get to the campground and pop up the camper I only need to attach the hose to the connection from the city water and to the camper, correct? Because I am using city water and not the holding tank I do not need to do anything with the water pump? Hot water heater?

I have looked for all manuals and such to set everything up but I can not find directions on the water aspect.

Thank you for the welcome and the suggestions!

4. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Here is a diagram that shows the usual water system of a camper. I find it very handy. Some of it may not apply to your camper, but if not, just ignore it, as the rest of the design is the same.
    [​IMG]

What you did is fine, though I usually put the regulator on the spigot end of the hose, rather than on the camper end, that way all of your property (camper plumbing, freshwater hose) are protected.

The water heater, as long as it isn't bypassed will flow water through it. You can use it or not use it, but if water is in it, and you do not light the heater, both sides of your faucets will naturally only have cold water.

Is this like your camper? http://images.internetrader.com/PHOTOS/0026800/640x480/0026804A.JPG

If so, there shouldn't be much more over there to leak, other than the supply lines going out to the slide-out outside shower, if applicable. Note that if you have a leak in a line, it will leak whether you are using the on board tank and pump, or city water. The exception would be if the leak were in your water pump or fresh water tank.

5. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Welcome from Michigan!
    At the top of the page click on Owner's Manuals > Coleman Fleetwood > and your year. You should be able to find brochures and manuals. If you don't find your specific year, get the next closest year. The unitd don't change that much from year to year.
    IIRC when you connect to city water the water heater tank fills, but not the onboard potable water tank.
    If all you want is to use the sink you may want to just use a jug sitting by the sink and pour just what you need. That what we do when we don't want to mess with the water system, a jug on the stove and we're good to go.
    Good luck!

6. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Also, keep in mind that you have to use something to catch the gray (sink) water.

7. mtbdudex

mtbdudex Member

We use a 5 gallon bucket with hole cut in lid and short hose then to capture grey water

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP

8. smye852

smye852 Our Greyt Escape

Thank you everyone for your responses!

KMH if I didn't know better I would have thought you were in our PUP and took that picture...lol!

We do have a gray water collector we too use the 5 gallon bucket collector.

The regulator that we did use was attached to the city water then the hose and the other end of the hose was connected to camper. I think this is the right way that you explained.

Again thank you everyone for all your help!

9. WannaTravel

WannaTravel Member

Welcome from Calvert County.....you've come to the right place, lots of informative and helpful people here....