Plug into your own power

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Bullfrog Bheer, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Well-Known Member

In all the years I've been camping we've always dealt with the normal loud neighbors or people cutting through your site to go to the bathroom, but this weekend was a first.
    We pull in Thursday afternoon and our neighbor has already been there quite a while based on the number of vehicles and everything else littering their site. As I check out both sides of my site to see which power pole is mine, I discover that my neighbor is plugged into mine. He is parked right up to the edge of the site and the power poles are clearly marked as to which site it belong to. As I drag my cord over to it, I walk over to their camper and say. "Excuse me, I believe you're plugged into my power. I think your power is on the other side of your site." She says, I'll go get my fiancee.
    I continue to do other stuff and he comes over 5 minutes later and looks at the pole and lifts the lid and slams it back down and walks off. I walk back over there and say the same thing to him that I told the woman. When you lift the lid, it is clearly marked with the site number. His response was he was already set up and his cord now won't reach to the other power pole. As he walks off, I stand there dumbfounded thinking, you're the dumba** that can't read and plugged in to the wrong post in the first place...NOT MY PROBLEM!!! Now, do I just unplug him or do I go and get the camp host? After another couple minutes of just standing there by MY power he finally unplugs and starts dragging it over towards his post, swearing the whole time and knocking over his stuff with his cord as he's dragging it over there.

Now I'm wondering what kind of a weekend we're going to have with these people for neighbors. We keep to ourselves, they keep to theirs. We have great sites right on the water. They have jet-skis and a pontoon boat tied up in front of theirs. As we are sitting on the bank the second day enjoying the view, their pontoon boat starts floating away. It's a pretty good wind and it's not slow, so I walk over to their site and say "excuse me". They ignore me. Again, I say "excuse me, you pontoon boat is floating away." Now the guy goes running over there into the water which is now 100 yards downstream to retrieve his boat. After that, he was very thankful and appreciative. No problems the rest of the weekend.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Lol. You are kinder then me. But your probably right, sometimes we all have a bad day, and better to be nice about stuff. So good job.

3. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Well-Known Member

Lol. Depending on my mood and how much id drank that day after the first "excuse me" I would've left for half an hour, then come back again and gone "hi, is now a better time to tell you your boat drifted away about half an hour ago?"

neighbormike, xxxapache and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

You’re a good man @Bullfrog Bheer! You probably displayed more patience than I may have lol.... where are ya camping?

Allamakee County and kcsa75 like this.
  5. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

Glad it turned out OK. Also glad that most places we camp have shrubbery/bush/whatever between sites so it's very clear which power pole is yours (if we even have power).

neighbormike likes this.
  6. PittJosh81

PittJosh81 New Member

Better than a neighbor having all their stuff set up in your site - had that happen to us a few weeks ago. I helped them move their things though. :)

neighbormike likes this.
  7. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

You would think he would have noticed since the posts are on the side that the power cord comes out of the camper.
    Did a light not go off when he had to run his power cord under the camper to the other side?
    What am I missing?....Every campground I have been to the power posts and site number posts are on the side where the power cord is.
    There have been times where I have spun my camper around so my door is facing the door of whoever am camping with.
    But I can't see how you could plug into the wrong pole by accident.
    Maybe he figured no one else was gonna show up?
    Either way he shouldn't have had a issue with you at all...He did it..not you.

Bullfrog Bheer and neighbormike like this.
  8. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

We do camp one place that evidently saved money by putting poles between sites, every other site, so that if you're in the 'wrong' site, the pole is on the wrong side of your camper, and probably too far away to reach. We even traveled with a 10' extension that came with the camper but that wasn't long enough. I had to go and buy a 25 foot 30A RV cord for like $55 and so far we've just used it on that one trip <eyerolll>. But at least now I'm prepared.

jmkay1, neighbormike and firepit like this.
  9. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I guess you could get confused but the OP said the power post was marked with a site number on it.
    Around here they have a site number post separate from the power post on the same side.
    And usually enough space between sites that you couldn't plug into the wrong post unless you had a extension.
    but I think one would notice somethings up if you had to go that far off your sight for power.
    Those sites where the OP camped must have people packed in like sardines...lol.

tfischer likes this.
  10. tfischer

Whenever I see the title of this thread "Plug into your own power", I keep thinking someone is going to ask if it's possible to use an adapter to plug the popup into itself, and use that for shore power. I've seen enough other silly electrical questions here that it wouldn't surprise me at all lol.

11. PittJosh81

PittJosh81 New Member

Same reason I carry two propane tanks. One connects to the other. Infinite propane, baby!

12. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Well-Known Member

That was at Juneau County Wilderness Park.

13. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho Member

You're a lot nicer than I am, for sure! People make mistakes all the time, so I'd have asked nicely once and then unplugged him. I would've kept my mouth shut about the boat too after they gave me attitude the first time. I'm generally friendly and helpful to folks who ask, but I've little patience for people who are inconsiderate and rude on top of it. Probably why the missus pushes me out of the way and handles stuff like that. It's a good thing there's folks like you put there to balance it all out! :grin:

14. Westcoast

Westcoast Member

15. Westcoast

Westcoast Member

Me 2 wife's Good

Allamakee County likes this.
  16. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

Sense of entitlement combined with ignorance. Not a winning combination.

17. Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey New Member

In Ontario Provincial Parks, we often need 100' of extension cord on top of the 25' that's built into the pup.

18. tfischer

That's insane.

19. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ Diamond Supporting Member

@Bullfrog Bheer…. I think you’re awesome. It’s easy to get all crazy among crazy than to be the patient and considerate camper.

I’ve helped a couple of newbie PopUp families set theirs up with my limited experience of canvas units a couple of times this year. One family just bought their unit the night before and didn’t know how to set up and use it. We also gave them some room next to us at the lake (boondocking). The other newbie family didn’t bring anything to level their new PopUp and had a dinette slide. It wouldn’t stay in position. We gave them extra pieces of wood to level their PopUp (up 1/2ft). Both families were very nice and we spent the weekend hanging out and sharing drinks at the campfire.

Imagine how difficult it would have been for newbies setting up in the dark or having a PopUp unleveled with a slide out? As they say in scouts, “Do a good turn daily.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

20. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

It's an indication of how big the sites are or how much forest is between you and the next site.. In our Provincial Parks, one power post is usually shared between two sites..

neighbormike likes this.