Plumbing question

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Wheeldeals, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Wheeldeals

Wheeldeals New Member

Recently purchased a project pup and I am in the process of changing my potable water lines. As I was attempting to remove the hoses I discovered they are glued at the ends as well as clamped. Is there a way to dissolve the glue easily as well as remove the old hose ends? Any help is much appreciated.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Maybe some heat (if the fittings are metal)..... will soften, melt, expand the hose so the fitting could be saved. Plastic fittings are usually only one time only. I just did a repair doing sharkbite fittings and way easy and leakproof, better that hard to use pex rings, compression fittings or hose clamps, and you can take them apart.

3. ImTravis

ImTravis New Member

Nail polish remover (Acetone I think), may remove the glue..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. 1madscot

1madscot Member

That's not actually a glue that's used with plastic pipe, it's a solvent that slightly 'melts' the two components then allows them to weld together. There really isn't anything to dissolve, other than the pipe itself. Best option is to carefully cut the pipe right at the connection, re-configure to use the longest sections where you can, and replace the little bit that you'll have to.

+1 on the sharkbite fittings. You can get them at just about any big box hardware store (Lowes, Home Depot, etc) and they do an outstanding job. Very easy to use, no drips, and they are reusable if you get the remover tool. They are a little more pricey, and require a somewhat more careful, square cut, but are really a great thing for RV's, or anywhere else.

http://www.sharkbite.com/?gclid=CJ6n4dC2-rgCFcxAMgodMygA3g

5. Blue2

Blue2 I teach them how to light fires, safely.

Nail polish remover is acetone correct typically, there are some new ones that are rubbing alcohol based for kids nail polish. Acetone works well, just use well ventilated.

6. IGYPup

IGYPup New Member

hose and pipe are not the same, if hose is clamped to a fitting, it is usually not glued, cut the hose close to the fitting then split the hose to remove it from the fitting. Shark bite type fittings are designed to be used with CTS (copper tubing size) Pipe, they work well but I have seen no CTS in my pup.

7. Wheeldeals

Wheeldeals New Member

All the plumbing fixtures on my pup are hoses and glued to the fitting. I thought it was a bit much. Thank you all for the replies and help.