PO put bolts through the shell!?!?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Littlejohn, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Littlejohn

Littlejohn New Member

We have a 1996 Jayco 1207, our first experience with pop ups and we love it! We are definitely finding all the quirky things owning an older pup entail!
    We’ve already replaced the lift cables and need to replace the front and back boards.....this is where my question comes in.
    The PO did some DIY repairs that we’re realizing weren’t quite correct.
    One of these repairs is that he put screws (with overlapping washers) through the aluminum shell.....I’m assuming he was trying to secure the shepherd hook bracket through the rotted side board.
    What would be the best way to repair this? Should we try to repair the shell? I can’t even think what we could use for that? or should we keep the bolts in place, get washers that won’t overlap, and pray that caulking it will keep the moisture out?
    The pic is of the front (tongue) end, but the back end has this same “repair”, but the bolts aren’t going through the center seam on the back end.
    Any advice would be appreciated! 8822D2F5-DB53-42A7-BDA6-4C0CB931AA17.jpeg

2. the-one1

the-one1 Member

When you replace the front and back boards, you can cover the holes left by those bolts with caulk/sealant.

Littlejohn likes this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

This is a common repair when there is a problem with the wood underneath. Using carriage bolts and nuts would help hold the bunk rod in place. The side board underneath should be inspected. They did mount/drill the holes off center and a stainless steel carriage bolt would have been better equally spaced on each side of the seam molding which is missing the vinyl insert covering its screws.

As for repairs ...... replacing the end boards is not too bad to do. Remove the weatherstrip and the molding...... save the very small screws.
    The panel is stapled to the the end and roof pieces. The staples will need to be cut with a cutting disc on a Dremel tool. The panel will now just about fall out. Cut a new piece of plywood and glue it back in place with some L brackets with screws in the corners.
    Slide a square of aluminum flashing between the new board and the roof covering to block the holes (well sealed) Install the weatherstrip molding .... with those damm small screws so the weatherstrip fits in its groove properly.
    If you had to do the side panels .... the biggest problem is getting a piece of plywood long enough. Usually 2 pieces would have to lapped ..... glued together.

4. Littlejohn

Littlejohn New Member

Thank you! It’s good to know that this repair wasn’t just a hair brained idea! I really appreciate the tips on replacing the sideboards, too. They are completely rotted and falling apart. The front one had so much moisture in it that it was growing mold I’m thinking those bolts are the only reason the boards and canvas haven’t fallen on our heads!
    Luckily, our side boards are in pretty good condition. My hubby had to put a plywood “patch” for one of the back latches because that specific area Of the side board had rotted and fallen apart.
    I would like to reposition the bolts so they’re centered. We have a really hard time pulling the canvas to the correct position on this end and I think it’s because the canvas is off center. Do you think a well sealed piece of flashing added to the exterior, as well as the interior, would be a good way to patch this? I know it would be ugly, but if it works, it’ll just add character to our pup

kcsa75 likes this.
  5. the-one1

the-one1 Member

Flashing on the interior with gobs of sealant and no flashing on the outside but smooth over the holes with sealant. Less ugly and just as effective.

Littlejohn likes this.