Poison Ivy First Aid Kit

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by TentOnWheelsTX, Aug 17, 2012.

1. TentOnWheelsTX

TentOnWheelsTX New Member

Couldn't find another place where this fits in, and for those of us that severly suffer from the rashes PI gives, this is the stuff I'll have on hand when I'm camping.

Thought it might helps others who might not have thought this far ahead.

http://tent-on-wheels.blogspot.com/2012/08/tips-tricks-2-poison-ivy-first-aid-kit.html

2. jjkach

jjkach New Member

Thanks for sgharing! Need to add this to our list!

3. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

If I have any contact with poison ivy I was with DAWN dish washing liquid soap. That usually does the trick for me.

Luckily, I don't get the rash too severe.

4. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Having a pre-contact aid goes far when you know your going to be out about poison ivy - that's including long sleeved shirts and full length trousers! The best preventative I know of is a can of spray antiperspirant/deodorant (I like Arrid the best) - just spray your hands, arms, face (and whatever else!) and should you come in contact wash it off ASAP. For washing it off you cannot beat real soap, like Ivory hand soap.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We seldom encounter it, DH supposedly is extremely sensitive to it (had a head-to-toe case as a youngster), so we still are watchful and try to have first aid supplies, just in case.
    I just found that minimus.biz now has the smaller packets of both pre- and post-exposure products. We order from them about once a year, they have small packets of many products handy for travel, camping and hiking. We order an assortment of first aid stuff, often only 2-4 pkts of each, and it is time to do so as most are either expired or have been used. While we find some products we need in hiking-size locally, Minimus is great for the rest.

6. Craig57

Craig57 New Member

Ever since I was a youngin I have a terrible reaction to it. As a adult I finally figured out what it looked like. That seems to be the ticket to avoinding it.
    Good to know about the deoderant methond.

7. 1999Rock

1999Rock The Jacobsen's of Muncie, Indiana

Thanks for sharing, it is helpful, I get that stuff way too easy. :)

8. lindad44

lindad44 off and running

i always carry baking powder and vinegar. you wash up really good then mix baking powder with the vinegar so its slightly thinner than past but will still glob on like a thick cream. smear it on and let it set. it does the job and is cheap. when the kids was young. they would get into poison ivy all the time and then touch me and i would brake out. . i got into poison sumac once and nothing was working against that so i tried it and thats the only thing that worked. an older women in town told me about that ohh yea here is a tip for swimmers ear, infections, and just problems with ear hurts. get a regular small yellow mustered bottle. the one with the screw down top. fill it will rubbing alcohol and put 2 tablespoons of heavy mineral oil in it. before using it shake well open top place end of top in ear give a small squeeze as you tilt head to opposite side. but remember the first time used it will heat ear up. if your ear burns really bad that means a very bad infection. i use it after swimming, diving, with ear hurts, and it will wash out and infections that are just starting. it will also dry water out of ear.

9. mark.sibole

mark.sibole New Member

Before Medically retireing I worked for contractors and then a company that installs natural gas pipe lines.We ran lines throught swamps and heavily wooded areas.
    Ive been in contact with Poision Ivy on way to many occasions.Over the years ive tried every thing avaliable for it.What I have found that does work well is diesel fuel.If you know you been into it wash the effected ares with diesel fuel to remove the oild of the plant then wash up with soap.No itch No rass. I always keep a small jar of it when im out in the woods just in case.

10. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

This post is a little late for me as it is finally clearing up on my arm. [:(] I have never gotten it camping because I am looking out for it. I get it weeding around my house an I never see it. [:O]

11. Loraura

Loraura New Member

I mountainbike, and am often in contact with poison ivy. Here is what works for me:

1)BEFORE going out in the woods, put a product called Ivy Block on my exposed skin. You can find it at Walgreen's or CVS or order it online. It goes on like sunscreen. It breaks down the poison ivy oils before they contact your skin.

2)AFTER going out in the woods, I scrub my skin that was exposed with Technu. I do this in the shower, but you can also do it anywhere that you have access to a little bit of water used to make it into a paste. Follow the directions on the tube.

When I do these two things, I am consistently poison ivy rash free.

Yesterday I was helping do some trail maintenance and was literally cutting poison ivy vines out. I had on gloves, short sleeves and short pants. I had my Ivy Block on, and washed with Technu when I got home. Today -- nothing, not even a tingle.

12. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have A LOT of poison ivy around our property and I am usually good at avoiding it!!!

For the times I feel that I did come into contact with it I will go in the house and get the rubbing alcohol and paper towels. I will soak the paper towels with the alcohol and clean the area with it very well!!! Yes, it probably dries out the skin a little, but has worked very well helping me avoid a nasty rash.

When traveling we keep alcohol wipes with us so we can use them if we feel we came into contact with something!

13. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I will spray hands and arms with Lysol, before doing anything the woods. Over the years I have found that Clorox to be my fastest cure. Blisters, when soaked in a 50/50 mix of bleach and hot wate,r will start drying up overnite for me.

14. sallymac

sallymac New Member

This is brilliant. I need to include this in my camping supplies. Right now, I keenly feel the need for just such a kit as I have the blasted rash on my arms.
    I'd like to burn all poison ivy, oak, and sumac with fire. Surely it's place on the planet is not that important. This particular infection is quite mild compared to the one I had last. I wound up with a steroid shot and a 10 day course of steroids to get rid of it. I had the rash in on my face, my eyelids, in my ears. Yeah. Not good.
    I tried very, very hard to avoid getting it this time, but as careful as I was, I wasn't able to avoid a couple of minor brushes with the leaves. [:(O]
    Burn it all with fire....

15. Loraura

Loraura New Member

I know you are probably joking, but just in case others read this DO NOT BURN POISON IVY.

The oils are in the smoke which you breathe into your lungs. It will attack you from the inside if you are allergic.

My mom's neighbor did this and she nearly ended up in the hospital it was so bad, just from breathing the smoke that blew over onto her property.