POLE: Jack for your camper

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by 64osby, Apr 12, 2016.

Do you carry a dedicated jack for your camper? Type or style?

1. Yes - Scissor jack

15.9%
  2. Yes - Hydraulic jack

23.8%
  3. Yes - Floor jack

14.3%
  4. No - rely on jack in tow vehicle

42.9%
  5. Other - please explain

3.2%
  1. 64osby

64osby Member

I have carried a hydraulic jack for years. Found a nice scissor jack and decided to switch over.

I have never had a flat and don't know if the hydraulic would fit under the axle if the tire was flat. I have used the hydraulic for maintenance.

Decided I don't really want to find out it doesn't fit when I really need it so I switched to a scissor jack I know will work.

Wondering what others carry or not carry and why???

2. rccs

rccs Member

I carry a 8 ton hydraulic jack in our hybrid camper. When we had the popup camper I had a 1 ton hydraulic jack in there. I had a flat tire on the popup once and had to use the vehicles scissor jack first to get the popup high enough up to get the hydraulic jack under it.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I carry a scissor style jack.. While it is not the jack from the TV, it is a truck jack from an early 90's GMC truck, which has a flat recessed surface rather then some of the special pads that so many vehicle jacks use these days..

4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

My TV jack is a mechanical bottle jack with great lift. It works perfectly, so I rely on that without the extra thing taking up space.

5. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Have an mid 80's Toyota 4X4 screw jack

6. Justhavefun

Justhavefun God made the Earth beautiful so we can go camping!

I have a hydraulic jack right now for my single axle pup but I'm joining up with the dark side in a couple of weeks and have found a great solution. I ended up with 2 flats last time out 1 on the way there and 1 on the way home(bummer). needless to say the second one was worst because I already used my spare. But on to the better solution for those of you that have tandem axles Anderson Rapid Jack is awesome. Also they make RV levelers also that can be used for single or tandem axles. I will post the videos below.

Jack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jE_x_TjlOI&nohtml5=False

Leveler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4JQV15VzBc&nohtml5=False

7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We rely on the TV jack. When we first got our 2012 Explorer I took the jack out and to make sure it would do the job. It worked just fine, but needed to place Lynx blocks under it because of the height. So no need to carry an extra jack.

8. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

Scissor jack from an early Chevy Cavalier along with a ratchet, a 3/4 " socket, and a few blocks of wood if needed which are always in the pup anyway.

9. 64osby

64osby Member

This is why I decided to switch to a scissor. Should help avoid the need for two jacks to get the axle up.

10. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Floor jacks are very stable.

11. 300Z

300Z Member

I got a sissor jack for a Mercury marquis at a junk yard for 5$. It has a ear on one side that keeps from sliding around on the frame rail. Most junk yards have a bin full of these jacks for cheap. Just pick one that gives you the height needed. I like the ones with the bolt end so a ratchet can be used to crank.

12. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

Ever use one on the side of the road in gravel? Stable wouldn't be my first choice of description.

Floor jacks are great on level, hard surfaces. Any slant or soft ground and you're asking for trouble.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

13. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

While towing I use the bottle jack from the TV. Around the house I use a similar bottle Jack. Both are hydraulic. I won't have any problem getting it under the camper when flat. My problem is at home on level surfaces I have to put the jack on some 2xs, jack at the spring hanger, and extend the jack most of the way to get the wheel off.

Sent from my Z959 using Tapatalk

14. 1380ken

I don't see how a bottle or scissor jack would be any better.

15. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer Active Member

I have a inherited scissor jack from a previous pup with plenty of height plus length of 2x4 to provide some stability on soft ground.

16. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

Because a bottle or a scissor jack goes straight up, compared to a floor jack that raises in an arc. If the floor jack can't roll it pulls the lifting pad from under the vehicle being lifted.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

17. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Correct. I have had a situation where my floor jack was unable to move and I had the other side of the PUP jacked up and on jack stands. I could hear the other side scooting in my direction because the floor jack was indeed rising in an arc. It was not a desirable situation as the stands could have reached a point where they could have tipped over. Always make sure your floor jack can move on its own or understand what is going to happen on the other side when THAT side does move.

18. 1380ken

I will stick with my floor jack. I have worked on cars on the side of the road during snowstorms on ice and my floor jacks have never let me down. I have also had bottle jacks and scissor jacks wobble and start to tip when the ground is not level. I am sure that there are circumstances where one jack may excel over the others but in general a floor jack is best in my opinion. Most bottle jacks are incredibly unstable.

19. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

While discussing jacks... Should also point out to double check the pups lug nuts and get something that fits as many times they will be a different size then you TV lug nuts.. No good if you can jack your trailer up but still can't change the wheel cause your lugs are different...

20. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I have 3 scissor jacks, 2 front stabs, 1 under the rear slide out. Any can be used for a flat!!

That I cut off the handles and use an 18v cordless impact (works for lug nuts also!)!!