Polishing cast iron and reaseasoning? Anyone do it?

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by dbhost, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Econ

Econ Active Member

That was about 4 years ago so it would be very difficult for me to remember. It had sufficient credibility that we believed it. It was a doc on Youtube about a group either from Oz or New Zealand that had enlisted the help of other countries. They would get the patient's permission and the hospital doing the mastectomy would send them the breast material. The non stick material was being deposited in the fat cells so they were rendering the nonstick material out of the breast fat cells. I remember they said the US had 6x the material than OZ.

There was one thing that convinced me of their credibility. Have you noticed that the non stick material changes about every 5 to 7 years? They claimed the manufacturers know about the material's problems. It takes about 5 to 8 years to gather the documentation, for the process to flow through the government and the FDA to take action against the material. The green ceramic stuff is supposed to be great until in cracks and that occurs in the first few months.

The University of Georgia did research on microwave use. We took our microwave out of the camper. The one in the kitchen is a coffee warmer and pre cast iron warmer.

HAve never seen any Outdoor gourmet. Agree on Ozark trail. Grind the "finish" off a Lodge. The surface reminds you of France during WWI. Our Lodges were ground out with a right angle grinder then sanded with a sandpaper flapper ring. We have a lightweight 8" Wagner that is a good egg frier. We are up to about 10+ pieces and if we go by a flea market my eye is open for old pieces.

Lee Valley or pre 1940's Stanley and Records? Or are you Lei Nielson?

2. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

The issue with the microwave is simply one of it isn't there. At this point I don't have a microwave for the camper. We finally have the camper, more or less, (The TV is still being worked on as budget allows) but the camper has no microwave, and I have very little interest in adding one as it would be very limited use for me.

Outdoor Gourmet is Academy Sports and Outdoors house brand. Their finish seems to be a step or two up from the current Lodge pieces, of course mine are easily 15 years old now, but I have never had to grind / sand them down aside from the dutch oven, and that was a neglect / rust issue.

The Ozark Trail skillet was sanded with an orbital sander and progressively finer sandpaper starting with 40 grit, and ending at 220, on the bottom, and sides. Left the outside alone. , and then reseasoned it. I didn't get it glass smooth, think starting with post WW2 France compared to say the streets in downtown Houston, still rough, but manageable by the shock absorbers mostly now. With ample seasoning the pan is effectively non stick to the point that I have to be careful about having my stove level unless I want my french toast to slide around...

Pre WW2 Stanley if I have any choice, but with my budget, Groz with Lee Valley plane irons and caps. They are basically Indian made Stanley copies. Kind of lousy out of the box, but upgraded irons and caps, and a little fettling and they work niiiiice...

I've been watching for Pre War Stanley stuff at Estate sales. Came accross a pretty rough #5 last weekend that I had to pass on... I can't afford to pay what folks that know what they are worth are asking.

Back on the non stick / chemical coated cookware thing, I agree that stuff is pretty nasty, I am looking for articles from trustworthy sources to show my wife. I HATE teflon pans but she has a small fortune wrapped up in them. She made me get rid of my old stainless steel Revere set when we got married which I still regret to this day (the getting rid of the pans, not the getting married...)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  3. Econ

Econ Active Member

Was at a State PArk that holds a big monthly flea market. Old guy had an old plane. Wanted 20.00. Got it for 15.00. And that is how I got my early 1930's Stanley Handyman #5. It is Sweeeeettt. Got a post war Stanley #4, A groz block and a Lee VAlley Router.

4. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I collected Groz while Woodcraft was carrying them. For what it's worth, they are a far cry better than modern Stanley. I have a block, #4, #5, #6 and #7. My chisels are modern Stanley and work well enough...

I haven't tried with the Groz block, but the #4, which is the one I use the most, and the #7 I swapped in some Lee Valley irons. HUGE difference in holding an edge especially against stuff like Pecan and Mesquite...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  5. Econ

Econ Active Member

I really don't like my Stanley Post War #4. The used market is drying up because the collectors. Heard Rob Cosman designed the Wood River #4 and Woodcraft puts them on sale every November for a healthy discount. Don't see how anyone could justify a Lei Nielson. ( I do have a Nielson Dovetail saw that was a Black Fri special)

My bench chisels, mortise chisels and paring chisels are Narex. Fine Woodworking said they are the sweetspot between quality and price.

dbhost likes this.
  6. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Well, chisels are one thing, planes are something completely different. My experience with modern Stanley hand planes has been abysmal at best. They are just awful. The Wood River planes are what Woodcraft replaced the Groz with. I have some Wood River stuff, mostly at the lathe, like my chuck is Wood River, nice piece of gear for sure... I don't think I would buy Lie Nielson even if I won the lottery. Too hard to justify those costs.

7. Econ

Econ Active Member

So you would expect decent quality/ use out of their #4?