Poll. Do you camp with hookups?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Hyperterex, Jun 29, 2011.

When camping I typically have...

1. My campsite has electric

20.6%
  2. My campsite has electric & water

49.3%
  3. My campsite has electric, water & sewer

7.0%
  4. I boondock with no ammenities

7.5%
  5. My campground has no hookups

15.5%
  1. papachaz

papachaz New Member

usually we camp at one of Georgia's many wonderful state parks, or one of the Army Corps of engineers campgrounds at one of the lakes. when we were tent camping, it didn't matter if we had hookups or not, but it was nice to have power to run a box fan to fight off the humidity.

the times we've had different pups or TT's, we'll use the hookups, power and water. the A/C is great, the heat in winter, and the frig of course, not having to make trips to buy ice is great!

my choice was, power and water hookups. neat poll, i like to see how others do things

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We tend to public campgrounds, and most do not have hook-ups. I did plan my long trip East last year so that I had power for my fan to cope with the humidity, since I moved to the SW to get away from it. For a couple of early or late season trips, we also planned power, so we could use the heater and electric mattress pad.

Electric is the only thing we can use in the pup, though it is a plus when the water spigot is close.

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

You don't find these in the boonies, I have 2 batteries and carry a generator, along with a portable shower. and the NFS says I can dispose of grey water on the ground.

4. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

We typically camp on sites where the only hook-up is electric. I can fill the fresh water holding tank at a community water source when we get to the cg. We only use the bathroom for potty (no showers) and keep dish washing to a minimum then dump the tanks before we hit the road. Most Missouri State Parks have a dump station.

5. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

Most of our camping is in State Parks which typically offer electric only with access to water supplies so I can fill the on board water tank. If it was up to me only, it would be strictly rustic sites. The further away from crowds the better.

6. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

You can usually find us down some dusty forest road, fire road, or logging road somewhere in one of New Mexico's beautiful National Forests......no hookups in the boonies. Very occasionally, we stay at a developed NFCG which tend to be pretty basic.....I've never seen hookups at any of the CGs I've camped....at most would be a water spigot. For us, camping is all about getting back to nature, doing a little fishing....a little hiking....a little mountain biking. It's about peace and quiet and solitude. We do have a couple trips planned to some State Parks we have been wanting to visit, where hookups will be available. We will still most likely opt for a non-hookup site as they tend to be, at least a little more private.

That said, we also have some trips planned for the near future where we will be utilizing the p'up in lieu of a hotel. In this senario, we will most likely be staying at a KOA type of CG with hookups and other facilities (i.e. showers, etc) as we are making the trip primarily to see destination and/or town XXX....not really to camp. I don't really consider this to be "camping" as much as I consider it to be "RVing".....which is the great thing about a p'up....it is very versatile.

7. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

In the boonies....picture taken from the p'up's front door.
    [​IMG]

8. EastBeast

EastBeast NO soup for you!

No hookups ..so far. We mostly dry camp at National and State CGs.
    Definitely not against it though, if it allows us to comfortably extend the season.

9. 97Flagstaff

97Flagstaff New Member

I usually boondock! but once a year in late October for hunting season we stay at a campground that has electric hook-ups only! Currently in the process of hooking up a WAVE propane heater. (had one the these in my last TT and loved it! no electricity to run them, no battery power needed, no annoying fans and use very little propane)

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

As my signature tag line says, "Hook-ups are chains that bind you to uninteresting places."

11. RonB

RonB New Member

Depends on temperature but we normally gravitate toward no hookups. This is because we enjoy visiting National Parks and the better spots do not offer hookups. Some parks have none. During the hotter part of the year we usually want electric for the A/C but we do most of our travel during cooler part of the year. We also have a microwave and have considered a small, quiet generator, but not yet.

Last fall we were out on a three week trip and had hookups four nights.

RonB

12. Popsrock

Popsrock New Member

Hubby won't get in the car unless we're going to a site with electric. No way, no how.

13. Oski88

Oski88 New Member

I have been waiting for the kids to get a little older before we gave up the amenities (flush bathroom, showers, electricity, running water). We're going to give it a shot in 2 weeks. I was trying to explain to the kids that we would be roughing it. When I got to the part about not having a heater at night because of no electricity my daughter vehemently objective ("I want a heater!"). We'll see.

14. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

We typically get an electric site, but I am slowly but surely convincing the rest of the family that if you want peace and quiet, you need to go to rustic or primitive campgrounds.

15. AlanTn

AlanTn New Member

Supposed to be 99 degrees this weekend. Camping in middle Tn in the summer without AC will make you hate camping. Spring & fall we like to boondock though.

16. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

I like my elect. and water. Tent camped for years and I like moving forward making life easier for my lifelong bride.

17. scificamper

scificamper New Member

We usually pick campgrounds with water and electric, but don’t have a problem with electric only as in most Ohio campgrounds. The one thing that is a must is nearby hot showers.
    Scificamper
    2007 Jayco 1007
    2003 Ford Explorer

18. redjacket

redjacket In memory of Nick Dilal, Sr. 1931-2005

No boondocking for us yet, although it is something we will likely do since DH is interested to try.

19. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

About all we need is a water tap available in the campground, or somewhere within 5 or so miles. We make our own electricity with the genny. I've stayed in full hookup campgrounds but always felt crowded.

MR

20. Luv2ridebikes

Luv2ridebikes New Member

Most MI and IN state parks are electric only, but we take full hook up when it's available.