Poll: Do you have a Microwave in the camper?

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by BikeNFish, Feb 8, 2019.

Do you have a Microwave in the camper?

1. No - NEVER! Real campers don't use a microwave!

19.5%
  2. No - But I am thinking about it.

6.5%
  3. Yes - It's built in but I don't use it

13.0%
  4. Yes - It's built in and I do use it.

20.8%
  5. Yes - I bring one with me and use it.

20.8%
  6. Other

6.5%
  7. No

13.0%
  1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

TT has a microwave, and we use it every single trip, with or without shore power. If we're not on shore power, I start the genny, run the microwave, get the meal done, and then shut down the genny. Keeps the batteries topped off too.

DW and I don't like to spend much time cooking when we're on the road. So, we normally make casseroles, stews, curries, and chowders ahead of time, put them in Lock and Locks, throw in the freezer, and then warm them up in the microwave, eat on paper, and call it a night. I spend my entire week cooking healthy meals with lots of prep... the last thing I want to do on my precious time on the road is the same thing I do each night. So, nuke the meal, sit outside, smoke a cigar, sip some gin. We like it. I would replace it if it broke.

1380ken, kcsa75, Snow and 1 other person like this.
  2. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

We've always had a microwave in our camper - either built in, or a small one we carried with us. I try to cook things ahead of time and freeze them to be heated. Or if I cook while camping, I make multiple servings that, again, are easy to heat up. I've also have never used the propane stove (or oven when had our Niagara), but rather use an electric burner. Not brave enough to camp without hook-ups. . . . At least not yet.

3. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Gee whiz, its been many years since we camped someplace where power was even available... We are knee deep in snow here but the days are getting longer and we'll be camping soon. if anyone care to see snow photos, just go the to dogs blog.

4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Threebeachboys - no bravery necessary. Just do a weekend campout without hookups in your driveway once. You'll realize it is no different. And without the hookups, you'll open yourself to a lot more campgrounds.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We don't have one. We don't want one. If you have one and like it, I won't judge (why should I?)

To me, part of the fun of camping is cooking (and living) a bit more primitive. Granted we usually don't cook over the fire, so to some, we're already glamping. But if we need to reheat something (including coffee) we have camp stoves for that.

neighbormike and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  6. hq308

hq308 Active Member

Poll needs a simple "No' response as well. I don't have a microwave in the camper but at the same time I don't think it makes it any less "camping" for those that do. "Real camping" means lots of different things to lots of different people. In saying all this I think the poll is a little tongue in cheek?:)

tfischer likes this.
  7. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

A lot of polls may be tongue-in-cheek, but it keeps everyone involved and (hopefully) entertained in the off-season! [CC]

kcsa75 likes this.
  8. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

No, we don't usually camp where there is electric hookup, so it would just take up valuable storage space. But if it works for you, go for it. Heavens knows, I haul lots of different cooking gear (grill, dutch oven, coleman stove) along, but nothing that plugs in.

9. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Our HTT has a microwave. I prefer cooking on the fire or the blackstone griddle. However, I keep burning the popcorn on the fire. So I just throw a bag in the microwave now. We really don't use the microwave for anything else.

10. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

11. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Small dorm sized one that lives in the camper. When we have power, we use it like we would at home. Heat up small items or popcorn.

12. tfischer

Heh we don't even use microwave popcorn at home anymore. Amazing how much better regular popcorn is... we got one of those mini "theater style" poppers a few years back and put it in our family room where we use it when we watch movies, etc. Just a spoonful of oil and I don't even put any butter on it (although you sure could).

The popper neighbormike posted is great too, my siblings have those and my mom used to as well. Just have to stand there and "whirl" it so it doesn't burn.

13. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Once you eat the pop corn at Salem Willows in Salem MA it is hard to appreciate any other pop corn. The Hobbs family has been making it in the same gas fired machines for six generations.

tfischer likes this.
  14. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

Thanks for the encouragement. We've purchased a small solar set-up so that we can take advantage of camping away from everything!

15. Toedtoes

Just remember that everything in the camper is a convenience not a necessity. If the power fails, use lanterns and flashlights and campground facilities. If the fridge fails, use a cooler. If the propane system fails, use the campfire.

Relax, enjoy, if something fails, work around it. When you get home, fix it or replace it, but don't stress about it for the trip you're on.

tfischer likes this.
  16. tfischer

And unless you're really in the boonies, you are probably within driving distance to pick up emergency supplies if absolutely necessary.

17. Toedtoes

True. There is always a way to handle a problem. I used to worry more, but now I realize I WILL manage just fine.

neighbormike likes this.
  18. Turfit

Turfit New Member

I used to carry a small microwave and a small toaster oven. We went a little over a year and half without camping a few years back and when I was cleaning up the camper for our trip I took them both out and keep forgetting to put them back in ;-) They were nice to have but always seemed to be in the way, something else that had to be moved when setting up or setting down.

19. nkcrouch

nkcrouch New Member

We bring a microwave. I am still new-ish to camping figuring our the easiest ways to prepare food. We have 4 kids so food preparation can take a while. We use the microwave to warm our make ahead foods. I aspire to be less plugged in.

20. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We don't have one in the camper, but we have borrowed a small one from my MIL. I think we brought it along twice during really cold weather. Heating up veggies and leftovers on those cold days just made life easier!! When we travel with friends we tend to cook a little too much! So we end up with leftovers. Popping them in the microwave for a quick lunch just makes sense. We no longer need to bring one when we camp with our friends as they have one in their Class C.