Poll: Food in the pup - What do you do?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by BikeNFish, Jan 8, 2019.

Do you store, prepare, eat or cook food in the pup? (Pick multiple if needed)

1. I eat in the pup.

134 vote(s)
    69.1%
  2. I cook in the pup.

72 vote(s)
    37.1%
  3. I prepare my food in the pup.

96 vote(s)
    49.5%
  4. I store food in my pup.

123 vote(s)
    63.4%
  5. I would change my above answers when in bear country.

106 vote(s)
    54.6%
  6. I do NOT change anything when in bear country.

11 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Food is NEVER allowed in the pup at any time.

16 vote(s)
    8.2%
  8. Other

19 vote(s)
    9.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Well, I never heard back from Yellowstone. However, ElDorado NF replied and said that you are not required to move your food into the bear box. They encourage everyone to use the bear boxes, but you do not have to do so regardless of the type of RV.

So storing food in your fridge is NOT a definitive NO. It is dependent upon the individual campground and the habits of the bears in that specific area and your own preference.

2. Toedtoes

I agree. As about 90% of my camping is in bear territory, I wouldn't bother buying a tent camper if the fridge would be useless for 90% of my camping.

Orchid and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Yellowstone got back to me the next day.

4. Toedtoes

I guess you're just special.

5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I guess.

6. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

You are allowed food in your fridge in Yellowstone campgrounds

littlebritches likes this.
  7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Hijacked this from the facebook this afternoon.
    66647802_1313689818800163_243122469240569856_n.jpg

Arlyn Aronson and neighbormike like this.
  8. Artist60164

Artist60164 Active Member

I never knew that this might be a question. I was making a list of easy things to prepare. What do most of you do with food?

9. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

You have many pages of opinions on that subject. Personally we store food in the PUP and cook in the screen room attached to the PUP awning. We cook in the screen room mostly for space. A 6' folding table gives more counter space and at 11'X7' the screen room has more walk around space as well. Cooler with drinks under the folding table keeps the grandkids from going in and out of the PUP so much. Cold foods in the 3-way fridge and anything we are planning to eat after the second day goes into the fridge frozen when packing. Any extra space (short outings) in the fridge is filled with frozen water bottles.

10. Artist60164

I def agree on the frozen water bottles. I have a rect plastic water tank under my dinete bench. And a collapsible water jug. How to I fill them.

11. Artist60164

Not sure how to use these. 15.png 28.png 21.png 15.png 28.png 21.png 15.png 21.png 28.png

12. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

13. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I've lived and camped in black bear country all my life. By looking at the map that was posted, apparently I've been moving from one black bear area to another, skipping over lots of states that are free of them. Interesting. I thought they existed in all states along the east coast.

Anyway, I keep our fridge and freezer full of food and our dry food in the camper as well. The only cooking that gets done outside is on the stove or grill. I do use the microwave and toaster oven in our camper. We eat in there, too.

Only black bears I've seen have ran from me quickly. I'm more concerned about raccoons, which are super brave in state parks.

I would only do things differently in Grizzly Bear country or if the campground rules dictated it. Actually, I wouldn't even camp in Grizzly territory. Not even in a hard sided camper.

Sjm9911 and Toedtoes like this.
  14. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

On the jugs the black ring should unscrew and let the valve come off for filling. Tanks usually have a fill cap on the outside. I don't know what the hose and power cable go to.

15. littlebritches

littlebritches Member

As my info says, I am in Wyoming. However, last spring I was planning my first popup camper trip to Yellowstone. I read many forums and as many information sites I could find with regard to camping in Yellowstone and only came up with more questions than answers. So I wrote the National Park System. What follows are my initial questions.

I have reservations at Canyon Campground-they (Xanterra) were vague to the point, I don't think they knew and they referred me to your website with my questions (and I also will be at Gros Ventre). I have read everything regarding popup camper safety from I can't heat up water or keep my clothes (clean or dirty) in my popup. While Yellowstone is different from where I typically camp, I would like more concrete guidelines. If the food is stored in the car overnight, can I make coffee and eat my cold cereal in the camper? Can I use the fridge (some say you can't even keep water in it). I am not talking about meat-I know better. Can I keep water and other drinks in the fridge? Some say you can't even use the sink in the camper. I don't want to be unreasonable, nor do I want to endanger myself or the bears, nor do I want to ruin my trip by getting a ticket. Recommendations?

The response that I received is as follows:
    Food storage regulations are in place to keep food rewards away from all animals that inhabit Yellowstone. Following that intent, a refrigerator inside a pop-up meets the guidelines of a hard-sided container that must be manipulated to be opened. Storing food in a cooler inside a vehicle or using the food storage boxes at the campsites are acceptable methods of storage as well.
    Cooking in the pop-up is not prohibited. Your safety is your responsibility. Food smells, no matter how minor, can and will attract wildlife. To what extent food odors are minimized (everything has a smell to a bear) will be up to you to determine to your comfort level in possibly attracting wildlife to your pop-up. You may make coffee and eat breakfast in the camper and use the fridge for food storage, but you do so knowing that you have increased food odors and possible attractants to your camper which is also your sleeping area.
    If you leave the campsite to use the restroom, refill water bottles, or just to stretch your legs - all food items must be properly stored. There is no leeway in storage of food items in the campsite when the items are not in immediate use. That is the concrete regulation. "

Interestingly enough, while at one campground they didn't want you to wash your dishes at your campsite but rather at the "sink" at the bathrooms with cold water. The other campground was just the opposite, they wanted you to wash your dishes at your campground and only flush the water at the bathroom. Either way, wouldn't this make the bathrooms more attractive to the bears??? The campgrounds were only 50 miles apart.

As it was Yellowstone the mornings were cold. Typically, in the mornings, we made coffee inside, cooked outside and ate inside. In the evening, we usually cooked and ate outside, except for when it was raining. However, we kept most of our food outside, except for our drinks that were in the fridge.

However, being in Wyoming, most of my camping is in "bear country". We keep our meat and other cold items in coolers in the the TV. Most of the rest of our food is in the camper. We also do most of our cooking inside unless we are using the campfire.

Orchid, tfischer and gladecreekwy like this.
  16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Dish washing differences - More than likely it depends on the design of the spaces. I have never been to a campground, in more than 3 decades, where washing dishes in the bathroom sink was permitted, let alone encouraged. Campers' sinks, often attached to the outside of the restrooms, once in a while (less often now) in a room separate from the toilets/sink are a different matter. There are some of those where dish washing is allowed or encouraged, depending on the campground, amount of usage, etc. I've been to once state park where there was a sink in the laundry room for washing dishes.
    Personally, I'm not going to wash my dishes in a sink used by everyone - I've seen how people "wash", rinse, etc. - nothing says "not clean" like approaching a sink and seeing remnants of pasta and veg. We have always had a gray water bucket and dishpans, to wash in our site. Some of the sinks resemble janitors sink more than anything, sometimes with a Sloan valve like a toilet - not dish worthy for us. Water disposal ranges from a designated sump of some sort to campers' sink to the toilet, depending on the facility. One of my big frustrations over the years has been the lack of posted information as to the preferred method in a campground - sometimes even asking the hosts has not been helpful. When we first began to camp, in many places dispersing water over the vegetation was the recommended method, but that has gone by the wayside in most places. [I know of one campground friends use regularly, covered in natural lava rock, where the request is that most dish washing gray water be dumped into the filtering lava rock, becasue the septic system is not sufficient for the current level of usage.]
    These days, we do have a gray water tank, but we may still wash dishes outside, and often take the gray water to the sump (or whatever), especially when we're camped for more than a couple of days, to extend the capacity of the tank.

17. Orchid

Same experience with me and I've been a regular camper since I was a child. I've only lived and camped on the east coast.

When my kids were growing up (haven't seen it in years) I remember big square sinks on the exterior of bathroom buildings that were "dish washing areas." Same as kitphantom, no way would I ever wash anything in them.

I always did like my mom did and heated up water in a basin at our campsite to wash. Now I wash dishes in the sink in our camper, but mostly use paper plates. Only pans and utensils need washed, but they are all wiped down well with paper towels first, that go in the trash. Trash goes down the road to the dumpster, or into trash box before bed every evening. Our grey water tank has never attracted any critters.

BBQdave and kitphantom like this.
  18. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

Never thought much about it, but camp cleanup is fairly simple. We us thick paper plates, that go in the fire when done. I cook with cast iron, clean up is extremely easy. A little heat and water and done. The coffee percolator and camp coffee mug get rinsed - a little water and wiped and done. Used paper towels into the fire.

I place a garbage bag up off the ground, usually hung on a tree. Plastic and cans are placed in the bag. And every evening the bag is taken to the camp dumpster.

I may consider white vinegar and my chow kit for use and clean up - down the road when I have more solo trips.

We don't generate much waste when camping. Mostly recyclables, which more and more camps have recycle bins :)

Orchid, neighbormike and Rik Peery like this.
  19. Orchid

We tried that before and the raccoons got into anyway. Determined, they are!

We used to burn the plates and paper towels, but use a propane fire pit now. We don't use paper towels at home at all, only washable towels, so I feel much less guilty about using so many of them when we camp. :wink:

20. HappyCamperCanada

HappyCamperCanada Member

Well! These nine pages of posts on bears, bacon, and sundry miscellanea have been most entertaining! Great way to kill an hour or so during a pandemic. I wouldn't say I've been educated much, but I learned a lot (I did learn that one can never be too educated). I also learned that if life were the jungle, a bunch of people would have been eaten long ago. And, when in bear country, always camp with a buddy. Who's slower than you. That you don't really like. Thanks for the thread.

BikeNFish likes this.