POLL / PETS do you camp with or without them

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by jnc, May 17, 2016.

1. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

After reading a tread today I noticed the I am not alone in my decision to leave my dogs at home when we go camping. So I now post the question the the portal do you take them or leave them?

2. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

My dogs don't like to camp. They bark constantly at any other dogs walking by, disturbing the peace. In the past, I've had to physically drag them out of the car. I leave them at home, with other non-camping members of my family.

3. gigi225

gigi225 New Member

I have a beagle mix rescue. She loves to camp and swim. We go on two vacations a year. One is somewhere we have never been with sight seeing the main objective. The other vacation is to our favorite spot that has swimming and snorkeling. She stays home for the first vacation and goes on the second. Dogs need a vacation too!

4. leningradka

leningradka Spending a small fortune to live like homeless guy

That's a toughie. I have 3: Newfoundland (10 yo), American Bulldog (8) and pug who is 13. I usually take them but honestly it's more out of guilt. I would probably leave the pug at home if I could. And while I love my dogs dearly, it certainly adds to the logistics of camping. Or I have to pony up and pay someone to watch them

Grizzley01 likes this.
  5. Happy_Heathens

Happy_Heathens New Member

We have a Shepherd mix who is only about 6months old. My hope is to be able to take her on many of our trips, but holy cow she needs to calm down and loose a bit of her puppy mode first!

I had a lab mix that loved camping, and we'd take him on local trips... but that was pre-kids, and only if we knew we'd be doing dog-friendly things.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

6. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Had two dogs a black lab and a golden retriever they both lived to camp, especially my lab, even more when when there was a lake near bye, the lab is gone now, but I continue to take my golden, however the old gal is 12 years old, and suffers from a lot of allergies now, plus her health isn't as good as it used to be, so it has be comming. More and more hard to take her with us camping, she has joint problems, arthritis. So hard for her to climb in and out of camper, plus she weighs 70 pounds, and it has become harder for me as well carrying her in and out with my old back as well, then she is not as active and the summer heat bothers the dog also. I used to have my stay home daughter watch the dog on weekends, but she's out of state now, so that adds to the mix. I try to kennel her on certain longer trips, but that's not cheap, and hard to budget. So it's getting to the point where it restricts both myself And the dog camping at some point

7. Stevan

Stevan Best Day Ever. every day..

We used to bring our old bulldog.. she loved to sit near the fire on her own chair.

This will be new pups first year (Choc. Lab)
    Due to lack of space, if we are driving more than a couple of hours, he is going on doggie vacation... but anything near by we wont think of leaving him home.

8. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

I feel your pain vagov. Our retriever is 12 & 1/2 now and has really slowed down. He is a huge part of our family and we would never think of camping without him. About five years ago, after he tore an ACL, I had to buy a good dog ramp. I keep it in my truck and set it up on the camper steps, so he is able to use it going in and out. He is now on a prescription to help his occasional stumbling, so it is difficult to think of what is ahead.

9. msuce99

msuce99 New Member

We have a 3 year old Beagle who usually camps with us. He LOVES going camping. He sleeps on the aft bunk in his kennel while the kids sleep on the couch and dinette beds (they don't like sleeping together on the double bunk).

On the rare occasions that the dog does not come camping with us, I feel horrible. He gets so excited when he sees the bags and gear start collecting at the door and when he knows we're loading up to go camping. It breaks my heart on the times when we leave him behind. Ha.

10. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

My dog has a job to do, he stays at home and I have a neighbor feed and check water for him. He keep a watch on our place and people think we are there if they see a pet in the yard, \i do not let my pets in the house, they have their own places out of the weather to sleep and keep watch all night. I live on a farm and have a problem with critters coming around at night and this is one way to help scare them off.

11. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

We leave ours at home or board her with our vet. She loves to bark at everything! She barks at the birds as they fly over the house!! It would be way to stressful for her and us to bring her camping.

12. Firehawk068

Firehawk068 Active Member

Our Lab-mix ("Flower") loves to go camping with us, and we love having her with us. She is great around other people and dogs, and she loves to chase squirrels! She will give a low "woofff" if she hears any critters or footsteps during the night. I feel more secure having her around the campsite while we are out in the forest.

If the plan for the trip is to mainly hang around the campsite, or go hiking, we will bring her along.

If we plan to add other excursions, such as mid-June we are camping for a long weekend in Durango, and we are planning on taking the boys on the Narrow-Gauge Railroad to Silverton. We will leave her at "Camp Bow-Wow" for the weekend. http://www.campbowwow.com/aurora
    She loves playing with the other dogs, and they have live web-cams so you can log in and see your pooch. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lloyd B likes this.
  13. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Our three Chihuahuas (the three amigos) love to go and we always take them. They are well mannered, take up very little room and are happy wherever we go as long as they are with us.

14. 92coleman

92coleman New Member

Our 8 yr old Chesapeake Bay Retriever/Shepherd mix has been camping with us since she was only 7 weeks old and absolutely loves it. I find myself making reservations that revolve around her hiking and swimming, I think her heart would break if we tried to leave her home. [DOG]

Attached Files:

ShadowNIN likes this.
  15. jaredmcvay

jaredmcvay Here for the fun

Our dogs are an important part of our family. They're the fur kids. We can't go out of town and leave the boy in a kennel, so why would I want to leave the other kids?! I like them way more than the average Joe on the street. Yes, sometimes they bark at people walking by, but that is because they want to play and see the other dogs walking by and become best friends. For years now, wherever I go, my dogs go with me. If I can't take them with me, I would rather not go. I hate if they miss out on fun. I am thinking of blowing off a family wedding this fall because I cant take my fur kids with me.

Grizzley01 likes this.
  16. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

We camp with our 3, 1 Minpin and2 Chihuahuas. They get super excited to go and are a joy to have with us.

17. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

The answer for me is yes and no. It depends solely on what i plan to do. I have two dogs who love camping. A 12 year old pom/sheltie mix and my border collie who is 14 and going blind, def, and lame. Poor girl has trouble keeping up with me now, sad it used to be the other way around. So if I plan to go kayaking or long possibly streanous hikes I leave one or both dogs behind with my parents. I have swapped dogs with my parents, have them take the 14 YO and I take there 10 YO pom who also loves camping. Now my parents are moving, I'm going to lose my sitter so may have to adjust my camping style so Sadie can be comfortable. (She is particular who she accepts as friends especially now). Dusty still acts like a puppy despite his senior status so still keeps up with me for the most part.

18. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We of course bring the trail mutt with us, although at 9yo she is beginning to showing her age and can no longer go for as long of MB ride, she once could.. Nonetheless, we train our dogs and are very socialized, don't jump on people, return when called, rarely bark, etc, etc. We do this so they are fun to have along with us. http://trailmuttreports.blogspot.com

19. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Another reason I don't take my dogs is because CA state parks and all the Nat'l parks don't allow dogs on the trails. This limits us significantly, and because of the barking and summer heat, we can't leave them in the camper.

20. Black Bear

Black Bear Well-Known Member

We always have taken our dogs with us. We feel they are part of the family & can't stand being away from them that long.
    It can be limiting, but to us it's worth it.

PointyCamper likes this.