POLL / PETS do you camp with or without them

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by jnc, May 17, 2016.

1. Jughed

Jughed Member

We bring our lab about 50% of the time, probably all the time from now on. We took him with us on our cross country trip and he was great... he just takes up some space inside.

2. Whiteycracker

Whiteycracker Active Member

I have a 4 yr old Bullmastiff. And where I camp usually I can't bring him as they don't allow dogs. It's a private Recreational club. Fortunately I have my neighbors look after him. But even if we could bring him having a 160lb dog would he a tight fit in a pop-up. He would love it though. And he almost never barks unless there is a treat involved. Love my boy Olin!

3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

That
    I am sorry to tell you but you dont have a dog that is a Horse.

4. freeb549

freeb549 New Member

We have a three your old Samoyed and have been bringing him camping since he was a puppy. He still has tons on energy and excitement when we get to our site but quickly wears himself out. We are grateful he doesn't bark at people or other dogs.

Sent from my VIVO XL using Tapatalk

5. Kristi and Cam

Kristi and Cam Beers and Brats you say?

We have a beagle that won't stop barking. He has a bark collar which actually makes things worse because now he barks and yelps. His name is Maverick. Great dog just loud. We have taken him camping plenty of times, but if we are going to spend a lot of time away from the site swimming, hiking, or sightseeing, then we board him for the weekend

6. cygnet

cygnet New Member

We have a two year old Great Pyrenees that we have been taking cabin camping. We brought our NTU pop up home yesterday and I'm trying to figure out where and how to fit two adults, three kids, and a great big dog. But, we can't board him as he gets seizures, so we are going to make it work.

7. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS

After my previous post, DW returned from an out-of-town funeral with a second, bigger, German shepherd mix from the decedent's estate. Looks like we'll have a fourth camper on our next trip.

Sent from my iPhone

8. Marty-n-Evy

Marty-n-Evy New Member

Our dogs love camping. We camp at a semi private campground and they get along with the other pets for the most part. Sometimes there is a little too much private sniffing, but not all the time.

Attached Files:

9. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

My dogs say, "Humans should eat outside at the picnic table & hang out on their beds when indoors. The dinette should be kept set up as bed for canines." I'm sure your dog would agree, even if his humans don't. ;)

10. shardtke11

shardtke11 New Member

Love seeing everyone's 4 legged friends! Thanks!

11. dmswartzfager

dmswartzfager New Member

Nine of our 11 greyhounds (past and present - we've never had more than 4 at a time!) have been camping with us, including these 4, who went on a five week cross country trip with us a couple of months after this pic was taken. I don't think we've ever camped without the dogs.

[​IMG]

12. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

On the risk of sounding insensitive, I go camping for the solitude and peacefulness not available when living in the city. Sitting on my deck in my own backyard I often hear dogs barking in other people's yards. Luckily fairly far away though.
    I would be pretty peeved if I were around campsites with barking dogs. That to me is just ignorance. Sure, you may love your dogs but why should other people be expected to accept constant noise. Just sayin......

13. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

durham, Sorry that some dog owners are less than sensitive to other peoples ears. Same as you, we don't appreciate listening to someones barking pets. As I posted a few pages back, other campers shouldn't have to listen to the racket of there untrained dogs. They really are a joy to have along, if you train them at least in some fashion. Doing this is beneficial to the owners, the dogs and everyone else in the area. Our mutts will always be trained at many, many commands and that includes to not bark.

Please except this dog owners apology. [:!]

14. crazyhockeydad

crazyhockeydad New Member

The dogs go camping with us once a year to the lake. We enjoy having them but we do not leave them in the camp when we leave we take them with us. We have 3 Gordon Setters and they all love it the 2 males love the water and spend most of their time swimming and hunting for fish. The female will play ball until she drops if you let her. Again they are trained but because we were tent campers we took the dogs with us if we left camp.

15. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Our dog goes with us. He does not bark, so he does not annoy other campers. He is kept tethered while on the campsite and leashed in the campground and picked up after. Outside the campground when hiking he is under voice control as per the state and national forest requirements. I would not take him if he barked and annoyed neighbors. I too go camping for the piece and quiet [;)]

16. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

At the risk of sounding insensitive, it seems like you assume we are all quite rude & inconsiderate. Perhaps it is some ignorance on your part. Then again, perhaps it is just my own ignorance. Perhaps there a places where it is the norm for people to bring dogs camping that routinely bark. Thankfully, I've never camped somewhere like that nor would I allow my dogs to behave in such a way. If one of my dogs was like that, it wouldn't come camping with me. Yes, there are occasionally dogs who let our a couple barks, but those are the vast minority of camping dogs & their owners take immediate action. I'm guessing from your comment that you have had to endure that sort of thing. If so, that is unfortunate & I sympathize with you. It isn't something I like, whether camping or at home.

For your sake, I hope you never have to suffer from camping neighbors with barking dogs. And I hope the same for all the rest of us. Just because we have dogs doesn't mean we are happy to tolerate such things. Just sayin...

17. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Understand what you are saying, I don't like barking dogs either. However, I am not going to apologize for camping with my dogs. They DO NOT bark, the male on occasion talks; but you won't hear it unless you are in my trailer or camping space. Just sayin'...
    [​IMG]

18. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

I almost felt bad at the noise my dog was making the last time we went out. Then I realized that the noise he was making was nothing compared to the noise emanating from the kids at the neighboring campsites.

Ruby Jean likes this.
  19. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

We leave our two dogs, Skittles (a 12 yr. old shepherd mix) and Molly (a 7 yr. old bernese mountain dog mix) home when we are camping at a camp ground. Molly is not much of a camper and Skittles is a runner. We do take them with us when we camp at my in-laws camp in northern NY (near Alexandria Bay) but there is a trailer to keep the dogs in when we go out and a place to put Skittles on a lead line otherwise she would run after every little thing.

20. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Member

When we go camping at a campground we leave our dog with his girlfriend next door.
    Memorial Day weekend we spent at property we bought for the first time, he went. Not only was he a super camper, we had friends bring their dogs, and met the nieghbor camping next door (5 acres away) and his dogs. We where impressed at his great hosting skills and hospitality. He didn't even have issue remarking HIS trees...he like us was sad to leave.