POLL / PETS do you camp with or without them

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by jnc, May 17, 2016.

1. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

You go camping to a public place for solitude and peacefulness? Kids, cars, tiny camp sites, seems like an oxymoron. Going to a public park for peacre is just ignorant.

Just saying

2. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

HAY YOU KIDS...GET OFF MY GRASS.

3. PmRacing

PmRacing New Member

[​IMG]

Alpha dog Quianna in the forground, faithful soldier Fred behind. They loved camping!

Sadly we lost Q to cancer recently.

Mikeeee

4. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

I may have put a few people off with my post. I have nothing against dogs camping if their owners are responsible and considerate as far as ignoring the barking of their pets. We camped last weekend and our neighbor had a beautiful 8 month old border collie with them. Beautiful animal and very intelligent. The odd woof and it was kept under control.
    It's the other people who I don't get. The ones who are oblivious the noise of their pets. It's the same thing kids as well. We have had our share of yelling, screaming kids with no interaction from the parents.
    All I'm saying is if you have pets that make constant noise, perhaps camping is not the right thing to do with them.

5. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

There's a difference between a public place (neighborhood parks, public beach etc) and a campsite where you have paid upwards od $50 per day to have the opportunity to relax and enjoy the peacefulness of nature. This is why a lot of us camp......to get away from the hustle, bustle, and noise of the city.
    Is it any different staying in a hotel and being annoyed about kids running up and down the hallways and yelling.....waking you and keeping you awake?

6. Kmaxx1029

Kmaxx1029 New Member

We take ours. She's a Rott/Lab mix and very well trained. Mocha's 13 and has mellowed a lot. It takes her awhile to adjust, but I like having her with us. Plus, the AC in the Pup allows us to explore/wander without her and she'd comfortable chilling out. I recently learned she likes to be on the water as well.

Attached Files:

7. FiveInAFlagstaff

FiveInAFlagstaff Member

Daisy, (terrier mix rescue,) and Harley, (small red doxie,) love to go camping! They love the opportunity to meet all kinds of friends and hang out with the family. They have their own camping chair, blankets, dishes and toys. Oh, and they love BBQ! Harley loves to swim with the kids in the pool at home, and doesn't understand why he can't play with the kids in the pool at the campground, but we make sure to get a site away from the pool, now. They are very good and only bark when someone is in our site or if an unleashed dog wanders near, to warn us. We bring an exercise pen that folds up for travel, so that they can hang out outdoors, but are safe from unattended pets or wildlife. We can leave them in the pop up for an hour or two, they are good and don't tear up the camper. Daisy is a big fan of walks and hikes, but Harley is not. Short walks for him are sufficient. They interrupt his nap time. Daisy will sleep with my hubby and I while Harley sleeps with his boy, our son. I'm typing this from my zero gravity chair by the fire with both of them on my lap. :) The Guinea pig does not go camping. She stays with friends or family.

8. mchance47

mchance47 New Member

Boston Terrier and Boxer go with us. Great travelers. Very little trouble. Terrific companions.

9. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

Roo goes with us no matter what. I know I'm in the minority, but when I go to a group campground, I absolutely LOVE the sound of kids yelling and playing, dogs barking, and people generally enjoying themselves. It reminds me of when I was a kid.

When I want true solitude and serene settings, I load up my pack and head into Linville Gorge for a few days.

10. abuelita2jnj

abuelita2jnj New Member

We have camped with and without our dogs. When we are going in a group, we would leave our "girls" at home. When my daughter has come with us, her dog and our younger dog go to a doggie camp and we would take our older girl with us. Since that last trip our older girl passed. We took our younger one camping and surprising she did well. But we were camping in cabins.

We just bought our pop up and I am wondering how she will do. I don't want her to be "that annoying dog". So our first trip, will be no more than hour from home - in case it becomes a problem and we have to bring her home.

I agree and fully understand the posts about getting away from "kids, dogs, etc". I am the same way when it comes to anyone who does not have "proper camper etiquette" .
    I have been on trips , when alot of rude, adults end up on the site next to us, and the park police have to tell them to settle down.

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Here are our two taken earlier this year in May.. The one laying down in the chair is the older one, 11 years young and has been camping since he was a year old. The one sitting, is the new addition, she is 4 years old and this was here first camping trip (with us). She has improved over the summer but still barks at times for little to no reason, this is something we are working on along with the basics like sit, lay down etc..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Buick Guy

Buick Guy Member

Back when we had our park model we took the dogs (German Shepard, Black Lab and Yellow Lab) with us every weekend. They loved to load up and go to the camper every weekend.

Once we got the travel trailer we took them most times because it was big enough for all of us but once the Shepard got to old to travel we left them home and once he was gone we started to take the Labs with us more again.

With the pup we have taken the Labs with us a couple times but if we are going with a group we will leave them home because they are old and it stressed them out and they wanted to stay in the pup more than hang out. We actually lost the Black Lab last week and we are leaving Wednesday for a week with 2 other familys and have been tossing around the idea of taking the Yellow Lab with us because it would be the first time she has ever been home alone.

13. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Used to take our two German Shephards camping all the time, they loved it. They have been gone a few years but this January we rescued Lilly who spent her first two years crated 90-95% of the time. So every new experience takes some getting used to for her but so far she has loved it all, took her to Maine with us for the week, she is still building up stamina and muscle mass so she was exhausted most of the time but that didn't stop her from going on any hikes!

What does irritate me is people who don't leash their dogs as they are supposed to. Their excuse of "my dog is very friendly" doesn't fly when I have a nervous, fear aggressive dog and yours wanders into our camp (twice in Maine I had to calm Lilly and shoo an unleashed dog out of our campsite).

Attached Files:

14. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

[​IMG]

Yes we bring our two girls.
    They are dogs so they occasionally bark but not at night...yet.

Do I enjoy a barking dog, mine or yours? No.
    I accept it camping as I do at home, your dogs or mine they are your family. They are part of our family and that's what dogs do :)
    I prefer hands down the sound of a dog barking, naturally by instinct or desire to the sounds at any time of a generator.
    The 5th wheelers and diesel TV's that seem to run needlessly and for the duration plus while setting up camp is a bit more frustrating and polluting by all factors, noise and environment.

When my Coon Hounds need a release...we hit the trails wherever we may be camping.
    I am hiking with them predawn and after 10p sometimes just to allow them the enrgy burn and search, smell, track a scent desire and need they have to be happy and ultimately quiet and great camping dogs.
    It's usually the one that holds the leash not the one who wears the collar that's the problem.

Our girls love camping because of all the extra trail time...they love to track a scent!!!!
    [​IMG]

We are all so excited here at our house!
    We head out for a week this Sunday!!! Myself, DW, two DS's, two dogs, and yes even our two beta fish LOL!!!

HAPPY CAMPING

15. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

I have made the personal decision that the companionship of a dog is not worth the effort and inconvenience of caring for it. I don't think it's fair for my family to be unable to enjoy a dog, yet deal with someone else's dog barking, pooping, getting into trash, jumping on my kids.

My kids are respectful, and I like respectful dog owners.

16. rustybronco

rustybronco Member

We have the same problem with ours and that's my worst fear while he's with us, some inconsiderate individual and their unleashed dog.

[​IMG]

17. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

We rarely leave our dog for more than ab hour in the camper. If we do day long trips,I usually find a local day care and for 20$ have her taken care of . This seems to socialize her and lets us slam alot of activity on a few days and then rest we have her to hike ,swim and enough her company. The internet along with reviews make me pick day cares that are rated good. Plus after a long 5-6 hr outing the last thing I want is a dog full of energy . We do more outside and the dog gets to play all day and exhausted like us.

18. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Yes, I take my Choc Lab/Boykin Spainard to camping. My wife, son and I went to Yosemite and my dog loves it. Going camping this weekend and will go to Carpenteria Beach to see the seals.

19. DnACamp

DnACamp New Member

We always take our Morkie and we can just say "you want to go camping" to him and he gets excited lol[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

Just back from five days out Wells State Park MA., and headed back out for another five to D.A.R. State Forest MA in just 2 days!!!!
    YES our while family loves to camp!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]