POLL / PETS do you camp with or without them

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by jnc, May 17, 2016.

1. kskelloggs

kskelloggs New Member

Our dogs have always gone with us, even when we were very small children. We just came back from 4 days in our ntu pup, and took our corgi with us. It was his first camping trip, but being as he is epileptic and on meds twice a day (6 AM and 6 PM), we can't leave him home. He does not like being on the furniture, even at home, so we just put one his beds in the pup and he did great. We spend most of our time outside, fishing and hiking and such, and he loves being outside, so is happy. He is on a leash, though, at all times when outside, as he loves to chase anything and we don't want to spend 3 days trying to keep up with him and whatever critter he decides to put the run to, lol! We just don't plan a lot of activities that he can't join us in, as we just don't like doing those things really anyway. Would never dream of going without our fur family and they have always been quiet, as we have trained them that way. Also, my brother owns a campground, and is also a dog lover and owner. There are many times that he has checked on and dog sat owners dogs at their request, while they were out. He figures it's just part of being a dog lover and campground owner.

2. Laney A

Laney A My crew: Me, hubby and our 3 K9's.

Our 3 dogs travel with us. The dogs have a blast exploring while we're hiking. They also enjoy swimming and just being lazy around the campfire. Then they cuddle up next to us at night. Our experience would not be the same without them.

3. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

I'll just leave this right here [:D]

Attached Files:

4. 4my2girls

4my2girls New Member

We have all the same problems. Take them and yeah it's extra work with sometimes barking or the sadness if we left them at home. My lab barks when we get to the campsite nonstop..barks and barks to be let out of the car so when we let him out then he cries and cries cause his feet are on the ground and the pop up isn't up all the way yet. He likes a tarp, carpet or small tent for him for outside on the ground, that makes him happy.(glad someone else didnt buy him, he could have been a duck hunter!) We have 12 feet or so leads we wrap around a tree so they can walk around the site.Found at Walmart in dog isle for $4- $10 depending on dog size. Just don't the it be longer then your site. Best advice is if you can find a site where you can try and block them from the actives around you like people walking by they won't baking as much, and u can relax more. We have found some great spots and they don't see others walking by and that barking stops. Nice night walk before bed helps everyone to sleep better at night. The carpet at home depot in a roll for $17. Makes such a difference in their happiness. Nice to get out without them and relax but they will enjoy the time with you and their pack. [CP]

5. Laney A

We always take our 3 cockapoos with us.

6. Eric S

Eric S New Member

My 18 month old Jack Russell Terrier has gone camping with me ever since I rescued her last spring. I think she enjoys herself more than I do. I wouldn't think of going without her.

7. Fless

Fless Active Member

I make it a point to include my "grand-doggie" Stella (see my avatar). She loves to camp and be outside, and watch the squirrels wherever she is. She also lets people know she's there with a little bark, but not incessant.

A buddy of mine I camp with several times a year has a TT and is down to three rescue dogs, so they're always good company for Stella.

8. DesertRed

DesertRed Member

Mine always comes with us. She's a 4 year old Queensland Heeler. She was a rescue and has been an amazing part of our family. She's super well behaved at home and even more so camping. She almost never barks or growls so when she does I take her very seriously. Camping isn't camping without her for us.

Fless likes this.
  9. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

I have 2 100 lb labs and they go with us 50% of the time. They love riding in the boat and are generally pretty good at the campsite. They don't like people walking thru the site and in front of the camper. It is a dilemma If we want to go someplace, to the restaurant or shopping. Most campgrounds don't want you to leave your dogs unattended so it can be a hassle.If somebody is going to be home on a givin weekend we tend to leave them home. For longer durations we take one the other usually the female as she is OUR mutt and she is 9 and very attached. Neither one likes being tied up and they don't wander

10. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

--Whenever I get the chance I take the grandkids, the pets and the wife. I'm not sure which one requires the most attention [LOL].
    --When they come along, I plan the trip around them. My mind set is that it's, "Not about me, but for their enjoyment." . . .and strangely enough, I have the greatest times doing the unexpected!

11. RoseTheJinx

RoseTheJinx New Member

Our dogs stay home. Neither are the best trained. One is better than the other. Both are friendly but one is a runner. The other (who is decent trained) barks. So maybe not the best trained. *shrugs* She doesn't run and comes when called. Stays near you. So they stay. My neighbor spoils them. They have play dates at her house while we are gone. They LOVE it. I think they may even go on overnights, but I am not certain. Either way, I am ok with it. My neighbor is one of my best friends.

12. SteveAndKelsey

SteveAndKelsey New Member

We have two dogs (both are mutts... the best kind) and we always take them with us. They aren't too bad with barking and will put the run to any critters creeping around the trailer.

upstate family likes this.
  13. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I like taking my dog camping and he seems to enjoy it. Sure is a pain in the butt though...

We don't take him if we're going to dog unfriendly places like National Parks. We're usually in more remote national forest campgrounds or boondocking though. He's always on leash and is only an emergency barker. We like to think he'd protect the kids from stuff, but apparently the kids are better at finding rattlesnakes. People don't cut through our campsite when he's around, nor do they allow their dogs to (if they're paying attention). He looks scary. :)

I hate people letting their dogs off leash. In fact, I yelled at a senior citizen just today as I was walking the kids to school with my dog...who lets their dog run loose next to an elementary school? (Sadly, many of my neighbors, who think their dog is perfect.)

14. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Active Member

We always take our Lulu with us, she loves camping. She is always on a leash or in her cage, she considers her cage her safe place den, and doesn't mind being in it. We always pick up after her, and have never had any complaints about her. If we couldn't take her with us, we would stay at home.

15. Laney A

camp1.jpg
    Our 3 dogs love to camp.

upstate family and Hikeswithcats like this.
  16. Hikeswithcats

Hikeswithcats New Member

In my years camping, I can only remember maybe one or two trips without any animals along. The majority of the time, it's my parents' dog.... She's a German Wire haired Pointer. Other times, I get to go with the horses. I own a senior ex-race horse who is now mostly retired and I part lease a friend's horse whom I trail ride. Said friend is also a camper & trail rider~ so she trailers us and that works out beautifully (she owns 3 horses~ so we don't need to share).
    ....and currently, I'm teaching one of my cats to hike & camp as well. He has an extreme, outgoing personality... loves walks & small hikes, and I think he'll take to camping like a duck to water! (Hence my forum name [CAT][:D])

17. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

We have 2 mini doxies that we take with us. Zoie the older one loves camping,she also loves sleeping in the bottom of my sleeping bag. Don't know how she doesn't suffocate. Tanner has been with us twice. He was ok still has to learn some manners but after all he is only pup.

18. Spawndn72

Spawndn72 Member

We have never taken pets with us before but we took our 8 week old Lab with us this past weekend. That was a LOT of work. We plan on taking her from now on though as long as it is not a long trip.

19. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

vagov:

This is off topic, but I want to suggest something for your old gal. I want to suggest you check out something called golden paste, but I highly recommend that rather than just googling it you join the Facebook page Turmeric User Group or the accompanying website (in case you don't do FB) that is www.turmericlife.com.au. The reason I recommend going to these pages is because Dr. Doug English, the Australian veterinarian who developed the recipe and who has done all the vast amount of research, set up those pages. His recipe has been copied and altered, and that's what is generally found if you google golden paste. Anyway, GP, as we call it, is so helpful for all animals -- humans and pet types -- and is especially good for arthritis symptoms. It doesn't cure it, obviously, but it is a powerful anti-inflammatory and would help your old gal feel better and retain a better quality of life, camping or not. It costs nothing to do some reading, and trying GP for your dog would be a wonderful thing to do for her. Let me know if you have any questions you want me to answer here or in a PM type of conversation. I use GP every day, as do my dogs, and we all feel wonderful. They act like puppies now even though they are both 10; I now have an arthritic knee that gives me no problems and allows me to do all manner of exercise. Please check out the sites, do a little reading, ask questions if you need to, and then decide if GP is something you want to try for your gal.

I highly recommend this to everyone!

20. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

We just have the one dog, a border collie/aussie shepherd cross, 3 years old, she doesn't think of herself as a dog, she thinks she's a furry person. More often than not, we take her with us, she loves the camping part, enjoys having a bunk to sleep on, but she's not so fond of the leash / chain we have to use when we're in improved campsites. For this reason, we tend towards dispersed camping.
    [​IMG]