POLL / PETS do you camp with or without them

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by jnc, May 17, 2016.

1. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

I was wondering if anybody had a cat. I have a cat and a dog and have been on one road trip with them when the cat was a kitten. I only had her 2 or 3 weeks. I started out with her in a carrier box, but she whined so I took her out about 2 miles down the road. It was a 4 hour drive and she did really good traveling both ways, but she was good then, she's bad now. I got a camper so I could go somewhere and take my kids along. When my mother was living, she would keep my first dog, but I won't trust my dog or cat with anybody else. I don't like to travel and don't like hotels, so I'm hoping my home away from home will suit all of us. I want to make a trip to Kentucky and I just worry about being by myself and having to go to the shower or something.

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Good luck, on the trip, you might want to get a couple of pet carriers 1 for dog and second for the cat. I would not worry too much about being alone,and going to the shower etc. there are a lot of single females that travel. You might try driveway camping with the animals a couple of times also to get you used to set up and break down. Good luck and Happy Camping

3. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

I've been taking the cat and dog in and out of the camper in the driveway so they'll get use to it. I have a folding crate for the dog, but need to get one for the cat. I was worried about whether to leave the twins in the camper or take them with me to the shower and leave them in the truck. I wouldn't do it during the day, but at night I think they would be okay. These days people see a dog in a vehicle they bust the windows.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

you haven't said where you are going to camp, In my area People do not usually break windows to get a dog and in fact, do just the opposite especially if the dog is noisy. You haven't said what kind of dog or what kind of camper you have.Fla. State Parks do not allow animals in the bathroom areas I would guess most states are that way too. Have a great Christmas and Happy Camping

5. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

I will mostly be in Alabama. If I can, I'll make it to Kentucky. I have a cocker spaniel and an adopted cat. I just got a 2001 Flagstaff popup that needs some work before I go anywhere. I wasn't planning on taking the dog in the shower area, but leaving her in the truck. If I was to leave her alone in the camper she will most likely howl, she's a big crybaby.

6. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We dont leave home without our two puppies. A 13 year old pound princess and a 18 month chocolate lab.

Mamie, Just two nights ago camped in AL at Rickwood carvern sp. The little chocolate lab just loves to bark.

7. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

I don't think I would enjoy myself if I left the kids at home. I don't think I will have a problem with my but my cat has only been on a roadtrip once and that was when she was only a couple months old and before her and the dog got to know each other. They actually bonded on that trip and I think it was because everything was unfamiliar to them except each other.

I've never heard of Rickwood cavern, but I'll have to look it up. My nephew was trying to think of all the places in Alabama to go. I saw Deer Lick in north Alabama and it looked like a great place.

8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Rickwood Cavern sp. a Small AL state park with maybe 15 campsites, but is has a 1.25 mile cave. It's right off of I-65 just North of Birmingham. We selected the park for a traveling layover because it had a holiday special where they lite up about 1/2 mile of the cave with Christmas lights.

9. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Thanks