Polls - suggested standard wording

Discussion in 'Website Tips & Tricks' started by Toedtoes, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

We're getting a lot of polls lately and I'm noticing that the actual poll options tend to include opinions that may not apply to someone who wants to vote that answer.

For example:

Do you like cheese on your sandwich?

Yes - that's what it 's for
    Sometimes - I like to vary
    Never - cheese is disgusting

Now, there may be someone who loves cheese but not on their sandwiches. Or someone who only eats PB&J sandwiches. The responses don't allow for those opinions. Instead they pre-determine that if you don't put cheese on your sandwich, it's because you hate cheese.

Instead, if we leave the "opinions" off the voting choices, then folks can answer the poll without agreeing to an opinion.

I think this is actually important with camping, because a lot of "never" or "always" choices get the addendum "because that is camping". So, if they choose "never" or "always", they are also choosing an opinion that others who do differently are wrong and I don't think that's what they mean. I never use a microwave, I never eat out, I always use my RV toilet - but my answers don't mean I think others are camping wrong. I just do things my own way for my own reasons.

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I agree. I recently declined to answer a poll because the answer I wanted included the phrase "that's not real camping" or something along those lines. I don't like to judge what "real camping" means to you.

PointyCamper and Toedtoes like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol , ill agree and disagree. I get your point. But i think its more of a fun whimsical thing. Not like its going to end up on the evning news ! Take it for what it is, answer or not, still does its job of creating dialog. Picking the best option even if not correct will be good enough! Dont sweat the small stuff!

4. Toedtoes

I agree to an extent, but on most every one of the poll threads, someone comments about those addendums in a negative way. It just seems that less opinionated choices would give more value to the responses.

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I do get it, i was looking for other options aslo. But , what can i do ? I just pick what i feel is most right. My tests at work are like this also, so 3 correct answers, but one is more correct. Lol. Its not idel , i know.

6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I think it's 100% wrong. Opinions don't belong on camping forums. IMHO ;)

7. Toedtoes

See, now had I added voting choices that said

"Opinions stay - because I want you to choose my opinion when you choose this response"

Or

"Opinions go - because they are stupid"

Then neighbormike's post would make no sense... [::)]

8. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Neighbormike's post was a joke!

kcsa75 likes this.
  9. Toedtoes

I know. :wink: