Pop Out Dinette?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Alyssa McDowell, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Alyssa McDowell

Alyssa McDowell New Member

Hello,

We are first time tent trailer owners (or any trailer for that matter). We want a tent trailer because of low cost and tow capabilities. We have used a tent trailer once before and thoroughly enjoyed it.

We have been looking at a few different used tent trailers and have learned lots in our search but we are thinking of purchasing one with a pop out dinette. Our concern is, do you lose significant storage space inside when everything is closed up because of this added feature? Our current vehicle is a Jeep trailhawk with little storage capacity and we are a family of four/five including my mother. Also, is it worth the extra cost For this extra space? Any feedback on this or in general about purchasing a used tent trailer is appreciated.

2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I don't have a pop out dinette and we have lots of room for storage. I put everything in the camper and nothing but people in the tow vehicle.

Alyssa McDowell likes this.
  3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I don't think you loose that much space when closed up because of the slide-out.

soft 17 and Alyssa McDowell like this.
  4. Alyssa McDowell

Thanks for the feedback. When we rented, we could fit quite a bit on the floor for storage and put anything else in the same Jeep we have now. I’m just worried when the dinette slides in you loses that space. It does have a compartment in front under the bed for storage that’s accessible from the outside too, maybe that makes up for any lost space inside?

5. lurtz

lurtz New Member

I have a Camplite by Damon with the slideout dinette. You will lose the floor space that you currently have with a non-slide pup. But this loss of space is more then worth it when you gain the space during use. It is so much nicer to move around the pup with multiple people if your dining room table is not in the middle. You dont have to climb over a table to get to your bed either. I will not have a non sliding pup going forward now that I have become accustomed to this extra usable space.

Another this to consider is weight. I think the trail hawk can tow 4500lbs. A well stocked larger pup with a slideout will be well over 3000 lbs. I believe my last weigh in at the scales was around 3400. Plus the weight of your cargo and passengers in your tow vehicle may put you close to the GCVWR limit.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

As much as I love having a slide out it does take up floor space. A double whammy on mine Is the sink folds down onto the floor as well. I'm able to slip low profile things onto the floor under my couch. To give you an idea what it looks like. Ignore the cushions I had to put a dog crate on the couch which meant the cushion got the floor. As mentioned above a camper with a slideout is very heavy, my tongue weight is close to 500 fully loaded. The camper ready to camp is about 3200. GVWR on my camper is 3600. My tow vehicle can tow 5000 and i struggle on steep inclines.

Attached Files:

Buckmaster81 and Alyssa McDowell like this.
  7. myride

myride Well-Known Member

I love my slide out for extra camping space. It just meant I had to reconfigure the available floor space, under seat storage and under table storage to make up for the loss....all worked out in the end. It will come close to your tow weight though.

8. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

It would depend on how it's setup. My pup has a dinette slide. Personally I don't care for it because it has a slight tilt down away from the trailer. I'm a larger guy and have an unreasonable fear and feeling the trailer is going to flip to that side when I'm out on the edge opening/closing the windows. Yes, I know it's unreasonable. Anyways. The dinette still can be used to hold stuff. I'm just a solo traveler so YMMV. I will put lighter/flatter items on the flattened dinette. I have a hard sided bath so the door stores there and I put a couple solar panels on top. I could easily toss pillows there. I also have two flat bins I put under the dinette table that hold some cookware and bedding. A fold up camp chair sits there as well. There is also room between the bath and the fridge for stuff. Then the area in front of the dinette allows for storage. Generally this is where I put the ice chest, back packs, leveling blocks (I carry 4 packs), pillows, sleeping bag. Some of this sets up on the front/side couch. Sometimes I put the pillows between the ice chest and cabinets to reduce scuffing the cabinets.

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

The last PUP I had was with a slide and we loved it, there is more room once it is out but it does take up space when in but the opportunity to have the extra space when camping made it worthwhile and there was still room to get around and pack for a trip. We would still have it but due to back problems we opted to go with a small TT.

10. Alyssa McDowell

Wow - lots of responses! Thank you all! It does also have the fold down sink/stove and a casette toilet - both of which take up more of the floor space. We are pretty torn now about space for packing vs space when we are set up and camping. I guess thats for us to decide whats more important. For kids bikes could we just throw roof racks on the top of the trailer?
    More importantly now, I am definitely more concerned about weight. Yes, our Traihawk is a 2018 and tows 4,500. The exact model we are looking at is Viking Epic 2385 ST
    Hitch weight: 175lbs
    Axle Weight: 2229lbs
    Dry weight: 2404 lbs
    Cargo Capacity: 974 lbs
    GVWR:3395 lbs
    Are we good to tow this?!?!?

They are also asking $12,500 CAD, willing to take $11,000, I'm hoping to talk them down to $10,000 - does that seem fair?

Oh we are such newbs - we REALLY appreciate any or all input. Thanks again!

11. Alyssa McDowell

Yes, our Traihawk is a 2018 and tows 4,500. The exact model we are looking at is Viking Epic 2385 ST
    Hitch weight: 175lbs
    Axle Weight: 2229lbs
    Dry weight: 2404 lbs
    Cargo Capacity: 974 lbs
    GVWR:3395 lbs
    Are we good to tow this?!?!?

12. Alyssa McDowell

Thanks! I provided more details on the model and weight above - what are your thoughts?

13. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Check this site out. http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml

When determining how much your vehicle can tow, you actually need more information than just the listed tow rating. Please note the listed hitch weight on the camper are the dry numbers which means no battery, propane weight or anything in the front trunk. Also review your manual on your vehicle many vehicle manufacturers are only counting just a driver in their numbers so any gear and passengers may need to also be considered.

15. Alyssa McDowell

Thanks! Found most of the numbers and plugged them in. Got a max trailer weight of 3,000 and tongue 450. Jeep does not have GCWR listed anywhere.

16. Alyssa McDowell

17. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

We are also a family of 5 and I highly recommend a slide-out. Our first PUP did not have one and whenever we were stuck inside due to weather we were just climbing all over each other. Our NTU PUP has a slide and we are so much more comfortable now. Yes, you will need to figure out how to best use every inch of storage that you have. But it's very doable and you will figure out what works for you!

myride likes this.
  18. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Bike rack is a different animal and many ways to deal with them....one step at a time as they say.

BTW....welcome from a fellow Canuk!

wusthof likes this.
  19. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I have a slideout dinette and we don't lose much space because we still can fill the floor and seats of the dinette with stuff. (Mine is a highwall so the cabinets don't have to flip down.) In general, any popup with a slide is going to be a big one anyway and ought to have enough storage space, even if it isn't easy to get to.

A slide is really nice when you have to spend time inside, but it does add lots of weight.

20. Brett1962

Brett1962 New Member

Love the slide but your forced to use every available storage space there is. So, pack tight and you’ll figure it out. Also, you’ll figure out that you don’t really need a ton of kitchen items.
    Enjoy your purchase!