Pop Out Dinette?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Alyssa McDowell, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Alyssa McDowell

Alyssa McDowell New Member

Thanks!! We are Edmonton are too!

2. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Nice to know! :)....I'm on the Southside, if you need to sit in a trailer with a slide out feel free to pm. me.I can show you what I've done bike rack-wise also.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  3. erich82

erich82 Active Member

We are a family of 6. While the slideout provides more dinette space, we opted for a unit with 2 dinettes (a u-dinette and a smaller regular dinette. Especially with 4 kids, having 2 tables is a must (we couldn't fit 6 comfortably around one slide-out dinette.

4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

I'd agree. One of Fleetwood's most popular models was the 12' Sun Valley and it's Destiny series sibling the Tacoma - 2 king beds, dinette on the campsite side of the camper, a U shaped seating area next to the front bed where a second table can be set up, a tip out galley for a more spacious feel, and best of all a fridge that can be accessed with the roof down. [A] Far more useful IMO than a trailer with a slide dinette that when closed in the travel position really limits interior storage space.

[​IMG]

5. erich82

erich82 Active Member

I'd also ask if your Cherokee is 4 or 6 cylinders. The 4 cylinder can only tow 2000lbs while 6 can tow 4500lbs with the tow package.
    If you have the 4 cylinder, you can basically rule out any popup camper with a slideout or even a u-dinette for that matter, as I believe they are usually 12 foot box models. You may not find something suitable for 5 people if that's the case.

6. erich82

erich82 Active Member

Ours is a little smaller and without the slideout galley, but still plenty of room for a 12' box.

Attached Files:

Brett1962 likes this.
  7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have a slideout on mine and I love having the extra space when set up. It is nice being able to move around and the aisle is no longer a one person at a time affair. However - I don't have a big family, and most of the time the pup is only used by my son and I, in which case it feels absolutely palacial.

Storage sucks though. There is some room under the table when in travel mode, and a narrow slot in the aisle. The galley folds over in front of the fridge, so not a whole lot of room there either. I have to pop up before every trip to pack, and again when I get home to unpack. I am getting better at keeping it stocked with stuff, but a lot of my cooking gear and related items does double duty for tent camping with the troop so I am always having to move stuff in or out as needed. The learning curve on how to pack is much longer with a slide out as it is much less forgiving with how you pack. For me a lot of gear has to go in a certain way and order, and if you change it because you no longer need something, or go to something different then you often need to redo how things go in. If I am in a rush to pack up on the last day due to weather or laziness, then things get crammed in the car and pod and stuff, which means even more work to get it organized back at the house. It is still worth it to have the extra living space though, IMO, but only if you don't need more sleeping space. For a largish family a non slide model with a dinette and U-lounge would be a much better fit, or maybe the ones with a gaucho/jack knife type sofa bed on the wall and a U-dinette by the bunk.

Brett1962 and erich82 like this.