Pop up and TV not ready, digging out the tent!

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by dbhost, Nov 25, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

After the holidays, I am planning on doing some Texas winter (everywhere else fall like) camping. I need to get away from home for at least a long weekend....

I need an electric site to support my CPAP, and perhaps a small fan.

Our accomodations will be our Wenger Swiss Gear Appenzell 20x10 3 room tent, with an Ozark Trail 9x13 screen house over the picnic table, and Cabelas Deluxe Shower Shelter for the privy.

Seriously considering the double high Intex twin airbeds with doubled up sleeping bags for bottom insulation, and then the King size sleeping bag over us for warmth.

Since it is just the wife and I, the idea with the giant tent is one of the side rooms is the bed room, the middle section is a changing room since we can stand up fully, and the other side room will be closed off.

I've been working steadily at it, and have almost all the gear ready to go. The old Chevy needs an oil change and is ready to hit the road.

Go long winded story short, once we get set up in camp, I am going to take some snots of the setup to show the pre pop up how we did it, once the TV and PU are ready to roll, and our maiden voyage I will post up pics of that setup as a comparison...

Sjm9911, neighbormike and kitphantom like this.
  2. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

When tent camping I like a large tent as well. I like a tent rated for at least 50% more people than will be sleeping.

Orchid likes this.
  3. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

I still enjoy a tent camping trip occasionally with my friend. Back to basics is a nice change.

Rik Peery likes this.
  4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I use to have a hard time finding a place large and flat enough for a large tent, much less a screen room and privy shelter, too. I've had a hard time finding a clear flatish area for a backpacking tent.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Anyway you can get out, is better then not going at all. So take pictures share them with those who are stuck due weather or other commitments so we can live through your experience. :kiss: Just like NMRoamer said, back to the basics can be a nice change. I Just won’t be doing any back packing again. [:P]:eek:

FARfetched and neighbormike like this.
  6. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Depends on where you go.

My all time favorite tent was my Coleman Sundome 6 10x12. I loaned it to a friend of mine to take his kids camping with the scouts in never quite got it back although in all honesty I haven't wanted to ask for it back. This particular friend and his family has done a great deal for my wife and I over the years and has been a great friend so I'm more than happy to let them keep this tent because their kids seem to love it.

7. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

For me to be able to go backpacking again would require divine healing

FARfetched likes this.
  8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We need a 12 person tent for three people. Totally get it.

9. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Honestly the 20x10 is stupid huge for 2 people. Were it not for potential odor, I would put the Port o Potty in the 3rd room portion. Especially since I will be running my Coleman Heater in the tent, It would be nice to have a warm bathroom camping in the winter.

As far as space in a camp site is concerned, for the car camping campgrounds, TYPICALLY I have no issues with the size of the tent. State Park tent pads in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas where we have camped iwth this thing have no problems with the tent size. The picnic tables are typically on a concrete slab that is sized up nicely to put the 9x13 screen room in place.

Where I usually have issues, and it's not a problem for just my wife and I camping, is putting pu the camp kitchen. With just my wife and I, I just put up the stove etc... on the picnic tables.

Since the sleep apnea became an issue, boondocking / beach camping has become more difficult. Not impossible, just difficult.

Typical boondocking sites that we go to will have a problem with the 20x10 tent. I haven't found a site yet that I can't put it up in, but inevitably there will be a lump, or a dip somewhere under the tent floor after it is set up.

Having said all of that, I have mentioned before that I have and still keep a Sierra Designs Sirius 3 backpacking tent. It is technically a 3 person tent, HOWEVER I can attest to having put in a twin, and a queen air mattress in this thing and being comfortable, albeit wall to wall... But that is a VERY different gear setup. And I am reasonably certain I won't be able to use that tent any more unless there is some sort of divine healing to my back, or HUGE advances in medical science at least... It's not even so much hauling in and out, but rather my back can't take the thin sleeping pads. Now last few times I have used it, I have been creative about that issue. I clear the space of any sticks, rocks etc... and then I source up a nice bed of clean pine straw, I set up the footprint over that, and pitch the tent over the footprint. And no my footprint is not the Sierra Designs official footprint, but one I made from a poly tarp. It's heavy comparitively, but it is also rugged. I blow up my Big Agnes Insulated Air Core double wide sleeping mat. Between the pine straw, and the Air Core I get over 8" of cushioning, and the bed is close to the mattress at home. BUT without that added layer of pine straw, within an hour of laying down to bed, I would be in bad shape back wise... Getting older isn't easy for sure!

No small part of me wanting to go with the PU in the first place, and a HUGE part of why I am anxious to get it tagged, the TV back on the road, and both road worthy is I want to minimize setup / takedown effort. That process should be...
    1. pull in to camp
    2. chock the wheels
    3. run down the stab jacks and level it up
    4. raise the roof
    5. slide the bunkends out and setup
    6. flip the galley into position
    7. hook up to power and water if available.
    8. make the beds.
    And in the case of boondocking, set up the genny in the quiet box (box made from kids play area foam panels with a gap). And of course set up the CPAP.

That is a LOT less effort than...
    1. Pull into camp.
    2. Scout and clear level sufficiently large tent pad. Insure there are no fire ants. Sometimes this requires setting up the stove and getting a LOT of water boiling. Non chemical eradication.
    3. Roll out tent, sort poles, stake tent body down.
    4. Thread poles through tent body, and get help tensioning poles / erect the main tent structure.
    5. Guy out the main tent body.
    6. Throw on, secure, and adjust the rainfly.
    7. Guy out the rainfly.
    8. Clean off the most likely revolting picnic table.
    9. Roll out screen room. over picnic table
    10. Separate poles from screen room body, assemble screen room frame.
    11. Attach screen room body to frame.
    12. Stake screen room body down.
    13. Place picnic table cloth over picnic table, and clip down, leaving end where stove goes exposed.
    14. Place stove on exposed picnic table end and set up. Again, this has been cleaned so no problem there...
    15. Roll in cooler, and tote with cookware / kitchen supplies.
    16. Set out washbasins.
    17. Roll in gray water container.
    18. Go back to tent, and set up either air mattresses, or cots depending on which way we go. Typically air mattresses.
    19. Make beds.
    20. Weather depending, set up either heater, or AC unit. Or on the freakishly few weeks a year here, neither.
    21. Route extension cord for CPAP, chargers etc... into the tent.
    22. Roll in small totes with clothes, set up as night stands.
    23. Set up CPAP on nightstand tote.
    24. I can keep going and going.
    By the time this is done, weather depending, take out some pre made iced tea and enjoy, or make a hot beverage. Either way, just enjoy a liquid of some sort, and relax for a bit... And see if my back is going ot have fits. Take corrective steps if necessary.

Then I can proceed with the camp day. Typicaly the first thing I like to do in a new to me campground is take a walk around the camping loops. We've been in the car a while, we've set up camp and just need to stretch our legs. If I haven't been lucky enough to get a waterfront camp site, we go find the water first... Kind of hard to do if we are camping in the desert, but there are other things of interest there...

tzmartin likes this.
  10. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

It depends on the potty. The Thedford cassette in our PUP has no odor except when you are using it. Unzip a couple windows for a few minutes and the smell is gone.

dbhost and SHFL like this.
  11. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Probably not a bad idea. I know we can't smell it in the privy tent, and it sure would be nice to have a warm bathroom since our camping season tends toward the winter months....