Pop Up Battery Purpose

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Bigantlers, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Bigantlers

Bigantlers Active Member

This weekend our power winch motor failed and it is the old "screw" interface model that has since been redesigned so it is a pricey fix.

I'm fine with using a power drill as that has been the back up since we bought it. Having used it several times already.

My question is why do I need a battery at all?

I know I need it for the trailer break away switch but Ohio law doesn't require one based on the weight of my trailer and it was missing the cable when I got it so hasn't been used anyway.

I'm not looking to camp without shore power as it is a requirement to keep DW happy.

Am I missing something?

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Neither of my pop ups had a battery, but neither had brakes and they worked fine. However, I see two considerations: one is if you travel outside of ohio into a state where the breakaway switch is required you could end up with a ticket. The other consideration applies in Ohio as well: if your trailer becomes disconnected and causes an accident, you could experience increased liability due to the fact that you effectively bypassed a safety system on your trailer.

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Basically if you pup has electric brakes it should have a battery! As stated above, GOD forbid something happens you are liable.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  4. Bigantlers

Bigantlers Active Member

Assuming the popular opinion is I need it for the break away switch, can I down grade to a smaller battery?

5. silvermickey2002

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Bigantlers

Bigantlers Active Member

If I don't need a big battery then I have to decide if its worth downgrading in order to save tongue weight (40lb to 5lb) which I know I can afford as I'm close to max now.

7. Bigantlers

Bigantlers Active Member

And I'm going to fix that cable for peace of mind at the very least...

8. silvermickey2002

If you never plan on camping without hookups then it may be the way to go for you!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Something to mention as I really don't know much about power wenches but from what I've read some power wrenches require a full battery even if you only camp with electricity. Not sure if yours is like that or not though.

10. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

On the subject of tongue weight, my camper is bouncy as heck without the tongue weight of the battery to keep it settled.

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

A number of powered winches (and tongue jacks) require a battery in order to work correctly, due to the amp draw, the battery can handle the short high amp draw where as the converter cannot.. Now you might be able to mod the winch wiring and plug it into the vehicle instead, if and this is a big IF you have a factory tow package on your vehicle (factory tow or factory prep) for a 7 way plug.. Not added aftermarket but factory 7 way setup, anything less and you will likely damage something with the vehicle.