Pop Up Camper canvas coming un-done

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by jmcelvoy, Apr 21, 2016.

1. jmcelvoy

jmcelvoy Member

I have a 2008 Jayco 1006 PU camper and in one corner of the camper, the canvas has come out of the track. The canvas has a grey rubber piece that slides in to a metal track on the camper frame. Is there a proper way to get it back in the track without taking it all apart? If I get a blunt object and try to push it back in to the track, do I risk damaging anything?

2. txsoccer15

txsoccer15 New Member

New to the group and the world of campers, I just bought my first NTU 2007 Jayco 1206 this weekend and when I set it up in the driveway for the first time yesterday I found some areas where the canvas was coming untucked on the bottom as well and haven't been able to find anything online through several different google searches. Were you able to figure anything out or does anyone else have any advice?

3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Get a spray bottle and fill it with a mixture of a mild soap and water. Spray the track and push it in with a blunt object. If you get significant resistance, stop, back up and make sure it's going in straight. It should take too much force.

4. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

for a good fit just take down the top of the panel and slide the bottom one out and then back in. you may want lightly hammer the channel a little to crimp the gap some. pushing it back in may tear the fabric.

5. txsoccer15

txsoccer15 New Member

Thanks for the help, planning our first trip this weekend and trying to get our PUP prepped and ready.

6. txsoccer15

txsoccer15 New Member

So the wife and I went through and got most of the canvas tucked backed in but once we got started we found 2 areas near the ends of the camper where the rubber "hook" had been ripped and therefore won't stay in the channel, one area is about a foot long. Does anyone have any advice on how best to handle this? My first thought was tap a few holes and screw the canvas down in these areas similar to how each corner of the canvas is screwed down but I'm hesitant to start drilling into the frame even though it's already intentionally done in other places. The other idea was using some kind of silicone caulking but I've never used anything like that before and don't know if it would do what I intended or have some unforeseen consequence. Any feedback on these ideas or other ideas I haven't thought of? Any help is appreciated.