Pop-up camper/Jeep Wrangler

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by jcjeep, Apr 14, 2010.

1. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Überland Basecamp

Jeep JK (2 DR) Wrangler are rated either with a 4.10 Axle @ 2,000 lb. tow capacity or 3.21 Axle @ 1,000 lb. tow capacity.

Jeep JK (4 DR) Wrangler are rated with a 4.10 Axle @ 3,500 lb. tow capacity or 3.21 Axle @ 1,000 lb. tow capacity.

Engine/Transmission
    Axle
    Model
    GCWR (Gross Combined Wt. Rating)
    Frontal Area
    Max. GTW (Gross Trailer Wt.)
    Max. Tongue Wt.

EXAMPLES:
    3.8L/Manual
    2 Door Sahara Model (4WD)
    5,101 lbs (2 314 kg)
    25 sq. ft. (2.32 square meters)
    1,000 lbs (453 kg)
    100 lbs (45 kg)

3.8L/Automatic
    2 Door Sahara Model (4WD)
    6,126 lbs (2 779 kg)
    25 sq. ft. (2.32 square meters)
    2,000 lbs (907 kg)
    200 lbs (91 kg)

3.8L/Manual
    4 Door Sahara Model (4WD)
    5,419 lbs (2 458 kg)
    32 sq. ft. (2.97 square meters)
    1,000 lbs (453 kg)
    100 lbs (45 kg)

3.8L/Automatic
    4 Door Sahara Model (4WD)
    7,944 lbs (3 603 kg)
    32 sq. ft. (2.97 square meters)
    3,500 lbs (1 587 kg)
    350 lbs (159 kg)

NOTE: Same rating whether automatic or manual transmission (The Above ONLY Examples)

2. jcjeep

jcjeep New Member

Hello everyone and once again, thank you for your input.
    So, Friday after school, I went to the Jeep dealership. He guaranteed me that I could pull up 3500lbs without any problem....eventhough as said by many, on paper, it says 1000lbs - 2000lbs factory equipped.
    I figured I would be ok with the Quicksilver. I asked for a quote, not bad but then... my new pop-up idea frenzy forgot to take a look at my budget :( by the time I add the pop-up, towing equipment, etc..... anyway I finally decided to by a new big tent as well as new camping equipment and then buy a small trailer (from Homedepot) to haul all my stuff. Much better for my budget and no more queston about the weight behind the Jeep.
    I hope this site is "tent" friendly because I really enjoy everybody's input.
    I am planning a few weekend trips around Louisiana. Then I would like to go to the Destin in June, the west part of North Carolina in October and all the way to Keywest during Christmas break. Maybe I'll meet some of you along the way. :)

3. 4U2NV

4U2NV Back from the darkside!

TSC and Harbor Freight has good deals on utility trailers.

4. jcjeep

jcjeep New Member

I'm gonna check it out right now, thanks.

5. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

I saw a neat little rig at a RV show here in Maine. It was a new "Old School" camper basically a tent on a fold out camper. Weight was 481 lbs, Sorry no name of manufactuerer, while interesting it wasn't for me. However the cost was about $1800 I believe.

6. slyspyder

slyspyder Lake Saint Louis, MO

I honestly think your Jeep dealer is reckless giving such information that is against the manufacturer specs.

7. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Überland Basecamp

Options:

Nothing wrong with that decision. Just curious, have you looked into the possibility of adding a rack to your Jeep and going with a roof top tent system. Eezi-Awn from South Africa makes a great roof top tent product, we have their awning on the side of our Jeep rack. Eezi-Awn has unit that will sleep up to (4) adults. They are available here in the states from Equipt Expedition Outfitters. The Jeep racks I would recommend Garvin-Wilderness Racks, this is the rack system we have and we have had their racks on the last two Jeeps we've owned. Both Equipt & Garvin have great products and very knowledgeable people. (First Class Companies)

[​IMG]

A couple of great tents available: The Oztent from Australia, now available from Oztent-USA this is a fantastic product. Another new product on the market is the North Face-DOCKING STATION this is a great tent because you can add to the unit as your family grows. I hope this helps and good luck in your quest for camping gear.

8. jcjeep

jcjeep New Member

Looks really cool. I love the concept of the
    Nort Face tent, worth checking it out.
    Thanks!

9. Fiveofun

Fiveofun Member

I know you said the budget is for a tent and supplies, but have you looked into Teardrop trailers? If the budget improves, this could be a good alternative.

Also, I would not go over what the specs are for towing, no way would I tow 3500 lbs with a 2 door Wrangler.

http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/

10. Pescador

Pescador New Member

JCJEEP, I own two jeeps and I'm not going to get rid of them soon. One is a 4 banger 2.5 1995 Wrangler and the other is a 4.0 Cherokee. The Wrangler is a 5 speed and I installed a 2 inch tow bar with Smitty Built Bumper and the specs says I can tow 2,000lbs. I will be towing my Apache Mesa with it for my short trips. I will be making sure the surge brakes are working properly or maybe update them to electric but I will be taking it slow in getting to the camp site. Maybe I'm young still but I like the idea of going to spots for fishing that only my Wrangler can go. I not sure how well it will work out but I'm sure it will be an outdoor experience. I will keep you posted but if my little bugger can do it I believe your newer one can as well. I will be adding an electric radiator fan just for extra cooling. Whatever you do just have fun doing it!!! [PU] [TV] [:)C]

11. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

Pescador, I for one, BELIEVE!

Enjoy Camping!

12. jcjeep

jcjeep New Member

Being on this site is so much fun. I am learning a lot and have now made up my mind before the good season for camping in Louisiana is over.....it's gonna be a tent! I have found all the equipment I was interested about at Academy, Target and even Walmart..... I have tried this after noon to make everything fit in back of the Wrangler and it's gonna be ok for now. I am looking for a small cargo trailer that I can use to put my equipment in (haven't found it yet). May 1st will be the first weekend out!

13. VooDuuChild

VooDuuChild New Member

Good choice on the tent....for now....until funds permit the use/purchase of a pup. I've a 92 YJ (wrangler for those of us in the states, mine's a Canadian model which is only YJ as Wrangler was some other vehicle in Canada)....back on track now. It has the 4.0 straight six, five speed manual and we tow 2k no problems. Your JK is wider and longer which will let you tow any ten footer and most 12's within reason. I see it's a six speed, so I'm assuming it's a manual tranny; so tranny heat isn't going to be your issue and a tranny cooler, well, those are for automatics so you don't need that either. Auto's get way hotter due to design (it's fluid engaged, not clutch) and 99% percent of all automatic tranny failures are due to heat. If you did have an auto, get the tranny re-built with a shift kit to increase line pressure and add a cooler, easy peasy.....with the right amount of money. The higher towing capacity of one with the tow package equipped JK is simply a tow package that's bolted to the frame (whereas your tow capacity is rated at bumper pull), no need to go to the stealership for a tow package either as there's plenty of aftermarket options that are better and cheaper. As for braking, get slotted or ventilated rotors and better quality pads and that's taken care of as you should get a trailer with brakes anyhow. And as for the 4 doors having a better tow capacity, that too comes from longer wheelbase and most likely lower gears also. (after reading above post, looks like gearing for the 2dr is same for 4dr,,,hmmm, that little bit of extra wheelbase is worth 1500 pounds? I'm skepticle on that; I'm bettin their understating the 2dr's capabilities for legal reasons IE ...idgits who shouldn't tow anything anyhow no matter what they drive)

What's my point? You've got a great tow rig...in the making. Along with the above listed mods, do yourself a favor, get a cold air intake from a reputable source like K&N or similar, get a bored out throttle body and toss a good exhaust on there and it'll become a whole'nother animal. Yeah, it's not the perfect tow rig, but hey,,,,,IT'S A JEEP THING, IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, I CAN'T EXPLAIN IT TO YOU....hehehe, insiders Jeep joke. Our little YJ does just fine with our Flagstaff 227 which is a 12 foot'r, but we've also got every bolt on engine/exhaust/intake mod you can do, but then again, were pushin more air too since we're also lifted with bigger tires (ford 8.8 axle with discs in the rear) among other goodies. We ain't gonna win the Daytona 500 towin our trailer, but we're gonna get there all the same, just gotta be a little better and more patient behind the wheel...........someday you'll get your popup and you'll see, it'll tow it just fine...within reason.

14. Alter Ego

Alter Ego Member

Absolutely. If he were to put it in writing, it may also leave him liable in any future accident litigation.

That said, in a literal sense, the dealer was telling the truth. It can pull 3500 lbs. You just wouldn't want to do it. It would be squirrily on the road, swaying much more than a 4 door. It would also be a lot more dangerous stopping in an emergency situation. Finally, the tongue load would make the rear of the 2 door sag more than the 4 door. This will point your already bad headlights up into the sky, making night towing a real PITA.

My 08 4 door with the 4.10 axles is hard pressed to tow 3500 lbs. I have the auto transmission. The engine is underpowered. The transmission lacks sufficient cooling capacity to tow any more. All JK Wranglers (with autos) have a factory trans cooler but it is just too small. I will be installing an aftermarket cooler this summer for my towing and wheeling needs.

Don't let the dealer make you think there is any difference in capability between a factory tow package and an aftermarket setup. They're functionally identical. I do recommend getting the factory wiring harness though. Super quick, easy to install, and reliable connections. If you have a metric socket set and a phillips screwdriver you can install a hitch receiver and the wiring harness.. The last time I checked, the 4 pin wiring harness was $40 and the 7 pin $80. Sure, the dealer can do it for you, but you'll pay twice as much. THAT is the only major difference.

If the dealer installs the towing equipment, he will also reflash the TIPM to let it know to expect higher current draws on the brake and running light circuits. I have not had this done to mine and it hasn't given me any problems or trouble codes.

If you plan on using your Jeep AS a Jeep, get a real offroad trailer to haul your camping equipment. You will be glad you did. A stock Home Depot trailer just isn't made for the trail.

15. Alter Ego

Alter Ego Member

VooDuuChild

It is no longer necessary (or maybe even possible) to install shift kits in the JK's auto transmission. The shift points are controlled by the Powertrain Control Module. I borrowed a buddy's Superchips programmer for a week or so and ran the towing mode. It firmed up the shifts just like the old shift kits used to do. The price is around the same if I remember correctly, and installation can be done in 15 minutes. The programmer also has other functions, but that's all I used.

16. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Been there done it all with TJs and even a CJ8. Tent camping only, and the use of a utility trailer if having any passengers, dogs, or extra gear [LOL]
    We bought a CRD libby 5000lb towing in hopes of nice going with a nice hybrid. Traded it in for 2008 Trailblazer V8 that sways like hell with a 3000lb popup [:(!]
    We still have that 02 TJ for shytes and giggles runs to the ice cream shop [;)]

17. VooDuuChild

VooDuuChild New Member

Yeah, the control modules help (did it for a buddy's Corvette), but it's no substitute for a real shift kit. A module will "firm" up the shifts (I could hardly tell in the C6 Vette) but a shift kit will make them straight solid, no slip. Think of an auto as a hydraulic pump(which it is) and that is used to transfer the energy to your drivetrain instead of a clutch to make a solid link. It's a matter of line pressure within the tranny which is controlled by valving and such (which to a point is now controlled via servo actuation) but to really get the full benefit a shift kit with the changes made electronically will save your tranny's longevity and of course bigger, better coolers are always good.

18. jcjeep

jcjeep New Member

Thanks for all the info. I am learning a lot here. I got all my gear now (at least for first camping trip). Tried it all out, everything fits in the Wrangler but can only have 1 passenger with me. We're going to Tickfaw state park in Louisiana. They have great trails and canoeing on the bayou. Haven't found a trailer yet, looks like it's gonna be hard top find one nearby....

19. 4U2NV

4U2NV Back from the darkside!

Have you thought about using a reciever rack until you find a trailer. I can get an ice chest and then some on mine. I use it when i go fishing.

20. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Don't load that receiver basket with too much gear.
    I have a valley 500lb capacity rack that had less than 300lbs on it and maded the tj unstable above 35mph [:(!]