Pop-up camper/Jeep Wrangler

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by jcjeep, Apr 14, 2010.

1. jcjeep

jcjeep New Member

I have seen those racks before but I am not sure it would work too well on the Wrangler.

Back from first camping weekend. Great time but rained out from 6 am ... meaning packing and folding the tent under the rain. Fortunately, it was full sunshine back home, so everything dried out quickly and is packed, ready for the next expedition.

2. rabidcoyote97

rabidcoyote97 New Member

I have a 2006 LJ: 3" lift, 33's, 4.0L automatic. I towed my Coleman Cheyenne with the front storage section loaded down, along with 3 bikes on the spare tire, wife, daughter and my 110 lb. lab sitting with his head out the back window, without any issues. I can't imagine the total weight exceeded 2500. Where I suffered was in the brake department. I had planned to install electric brakes on the camper and a brake controller inside the LJ, but I talked the wife into buying a Commander with a Hemi instead!!

As far as tow set-ups go, I bought a Garvin Wilderness bumper. It has the 2" receiver built right in and works awesome. It has two tabs that I have D-rings attached to. When I do tow, I place the camper chains into them.

I also bought the cheap (less than $10) 4 pin harness from Tractor Supply and wired it up. It didn't come with a diagram, and none of the Jeep forums I belong to had the correct one for me. But I figured it out and it works well for the price. If you need it, let me know and I can pass it along.

Lastly, I do have a basket that slides in the receiver (another Tractor Supply purchase). I've had everything from deer to Christmas trees in it, and not once did the Jeep ever feel "unstable". I don't know that I would ever put the 500 lb. limit to the test, but if you have the proper rigging I think it would be perfectly fine for any camping gear you would bring on a weekend adventure.

Just my .02